Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

SSS to HH

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by Otisblove, Mar 21, 2017.

HH strat

1. 3 way switch

13 vote(s)
    72.2%
  2. 5 way switch

5 vote(s)
    27.8%
  1. Otisblove

Otisblove Strat-O-Master Strat-Talk Supporter

May 20, 2016
    Chicago
    I have two strats and they both have gold lace pickups in them. They sound almost identical, which is what I was going for, but now I want something different. I've decided to save some cash and instead of buying an HH strat, I'm going to take the DiMarzio Freds out of my Squier Jagmaster and put them in my 98 American Strat, which has a swimming pool route.
    Not only would I then have two unique sounding instruments, but I get to whip out the old soldering iron and get away from these 4 rotten kids for a few hours.

I just bought the HH pickguard on eBay, so there's no turning back now. I know I'll need 500k pots and maybe a capacitor or two.
    I'm considering going to a three way switch. Would that make wiring it all up any easier or more difficult? Ive soldered a few strats and feel pretty confident about doing that now, but I have very little experience with humbuckers.

Attached Files:

circles likes this.

2. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.

3. jeepguy242

jeepguy242 Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

Mar 19, 2017
    Winston salem
    on my latest build i went with the 920d custom shop HH wiring harness with the super switch..

tons more options than i need.. you can wire it a bunch of different ways... for now i went with

1. bridge only
    2. bridge and neck inside coils only
    3. bridge and neck full humbucker
    4. bridge and neck outside coils only
    5 neck only

the nice thing about the super switch is you can use it so many different ways to get almost any tone you want

Guitaraxe, navigate40 and Otisblove like this.

4. Seymour Duncan

Seymour Duncan Senior Stratmaster

This is the exact same wiring I use with 2 humbucker guitars. It works great, and all positions are hum-cancelling (you usually need to flip a magnet in one of the HBs).

jeepguy242 likes this.

5. jeepguy242

jeepguy242 Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

Mar 19, 2017
    Winston salem

Being that this is my first time wiring pickups and I did it by following someone else's wiring diagram, could you explain what "flip a magnet" means. And do it in a way that someone who doesn't understand how a humbucker needs to be wired works. Only thing I know about them is to ground a coil to get a single coil sound out of it

Otisblove likes this.

6. Ash-Man

Ash-Man Senior Stratmaster

I've had some HH strats with 5 way super switches wired in various configurations, the sounds just sucked no matter what non humbucking, I do use vintage output humbuckers however, with more powerful dark sounding humbuckers it is different but I still don't like it so i just go straight 3 way, and add a pull pot later if needed, also I don't split my buckers, i put them in parallel...

The Strat Dude likes this.

7. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Strat-Talker

May 29, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    The Fred is a good pickup for coil split options. As installed in the bridge, the inner coil (north) is wound with 4.5k of 42AWG wire, which gives some nice strat-like tones in single coil mode. The outer coil (south) is wound with approximately the same number of turns in 43AWG, so its thicker sounding and a bit less strat-like.

The Fred can also be used in parallel wiring. I recommend a 5 way Super switch to try some of the single coil options.

The Fred in the bridge can be a bit bright depending on the guitar. For the bridge position, I added a 1M ohm parallel load resistor. It gives it more fat blues tone, and a bit less Satriani.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
    Otisblove likes this.

8. Otisblove

May 20, 2016
    Chicago
    I'm going 3 way. For now, at least.

@Teleplayer, good to hear someone else has experience with a Fred.
    I am unfamiliar with Joe Satriani's music or his tone. I know who he is, I've just never been a fan of guitar instrumentals and lengthy solos.
    I'd never heard of a Fred humbucker until I bought a used Jagmaster that had one in it. I liked it a lot, so I bought a second one.
    What capacitor values would you recommend for these pickups?

9. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Strat-O-Master

Feb 13, 2014
    AZ
    none of the above.

Tele 4 way switch with PP Pots for coil taps

10. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Jan 10, 2014
    Michigan
    You could use the Ibanez system with a 5-way:

[​IMG]

Your second Strat SSS ... I'd do this on it, I've modded three Strats so far with it.

11. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Strat-Talker

May 29, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    The Fred is a pickup that suprises a lot of people. it has a PAF like feel, in that it doesn't have much compression as other high output pickups. The voicing of the mids is very nice too.

The 3-way switch seems a simple and good option. You could easily add a coil split on the tone pot like the Satriani guitars such as JS1000 and JS1200.

For Tone capacitor I used 0.022uF as normal for most humbuckers.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017

12. Seymour Duncan

Seymour Duncan Senior Stratmaster

Well, you unscrew the baseplate a little push the magnet out (very carefully) and flip it like a pancake. There are videos online about it and lots of info out there. Flipping the magnet in one humbucker keeps all positions in phase and humbucking.

jeepguy242 likes this.

13. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Strat-Talker

May 29, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    I just want to post another thing I like about the Fred. The hex screw pole pieces are useful to fine tune the string balance if you have the hex wrench handy.
    I raise the A and D poles by only a 1/2 turn (in 4 places). It gives the pickup better balance and the overall tone gets a bit warmer.

Anyway, how is the conversion going so far?

14. Otisblove

May 20, 2016
    Chicago
    Went well. Everything works. I must have wired the pickups backward, because the 3 way switch sounds like the neck in the bridge position and vice versa. It's no big deal. My little secret.

15. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Strat-Talker

May 29, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    No matter if the switch is up or down, you will get Fred in both positions!

Are you happy with the tone of the neck pickup? I'm probably going to order a Suhr SSV neck humbucker to pair with the Fred in my hardtail strat.
    I don't really know how it will match in terms of level and tone.

16. Otisblove

May 20, 2016
    Chicago