St. Vincent on SNL tonight!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by vid1900, Apr 4, 2021.

1. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Most Honored Senior Member

I kinda like her music. Some, not a ton, but a bit of it.

vid1900 likes this.
  2. DancesWithWeasels

DancesWithWeasels Where there's a weasel there's a way Silver Member

Me too. I've seen some interviews with Annie Clark and what impressed me (besides her talent and love for what she does) was her lack of ego. I really like that in a performer. I wish her the best and hope she continues to do well.

Anacharsis and vid1900 like this.
  3. jayaitch

jayaitch Strat-Talker

You say that like its a bad thing.

vid1900 likes this.
  4. jayaitch

jayaitch Strat-Talker

Yes with the Bowie reference. To me, what she does is some distillation of Bowie.

Paperback Rocker likes this.
  5. stratology

stratology Strat-Talker

Three pages and no mention of the electric sitar on stage? The perfect, tubby short scale bass sound? The 'parallel reality' 70s vibe?

6. IMMusicRulz

IMMusicRulz Strat-Talker

Used to like St. Vincent but now I lost interest in her.

I might watch it on YouTube though

7. valor19

valor19 Strat-O-Master Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, I was excited to see her on SNL. But thought both songs and performances were meh. I dig her earlier stuff more. But I am glad to see her career and success has grown. Good for her.

Willmunny and circles like this.
  8. balston11

balston11 Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

I am a recent convert saw her on Jools a short while ago and been listening to her a lot on Spotify one of the suggestions it threw up when I was listening to her was a Melbourne artist called Courtney Barnett who is also worth a listen

9. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Do it or screw it.

I threw up on Courtney Barnett, too lol

vid1900 likes this.
  10. nadzab

nadzab Play Don't Worry Silver Member

Watched the DVR last night. Thumbs up from me.

vid1900 likes this.
  11. Eoraptor1

Eoraptor1 Senior Stratmaster

The Glass Spider tour was plenty pretentious IMO, but I get your meaning. St. Vincent's SNL performance did sort of remind me of Young Americans era Bowie.

JAMES

12. Eoraptor1

Eoraptor1 Senior Stratmaster

St. Vincent's sig model was designed in part to be more accommodating to a woman's body. There are examples of what she's talking about on YouTube. I was going to post one but immediately thought better of it.

JAMES

13. Morf2540

Morf2540 Senior Stratmaster

Sorry to be a party-pooper.... My wife brought me to see her two years ago. It was terrible. The music itself was OK, I think, but the show was unbearable. The entire back wall of the stage was entirely filled with a solid grid a large spotlights, pointed at the audience. It was about a hundred bazillion watts of bright light blasting you directly in the face. Then every once in a while they would start flashing like strobe lights. It was a torture chamber, like you would design if you wanted to break down terrorist suspects. Secondarily, all this intense backlighting cast the actual performers totally in shadow, so you could barely see them. The backing band was very deliberately cast in shadows. There was no front lighting on them at all, and they were dressed in these full body shrouds that made them look like invisible ghosts. Overall it was one of the most unpleasant experiences of my entire life, and I made us leave halfway through.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
    Paperback Rocker likes this.
  14. Hydr0

Hydr0 Senior Stratmaster

I felt like I was watching an SNL musical performance from the early 90s, and I mean that as a compliment. I don’t know much about her, but I enjoyed it. :thumb:

vid1900 likes this.
  15. Pandamasque

Pandamasque Strat-O-Master

I thought this was pretty interesting (as is the entire video series)

vid1900 and rmackowsky like this.
  16. aiabx

aiabx Strat-O-Master Silver Member

Sorry I missed it. She's one of the people I'm talking about when I say great music is still being created to this very day.

vid1900, Hydr0 and Anacharsis like this.
  17. stratology

stratology Strat-Talker

This is getting a little off topic, but Annie Clark mentions touring with, and learning from, her aunt and uncle, Tuck and Patti, as a teenager.

If you haven't heard Tuck Andress, he's a pretty incredible finger style player:

Off topic 2:
    I remember Tuck Andress mentioning that many of his chord voicings come from Patti singing the chord she wants underneath her voice to him note for note. (!)

Off topic 3:
    Tuck Andress wrote one of the best and most comprehensive tutorials on pick technique and finger style technique. Definitely worth a read.

18. dbb541

dbb541 Strat-O-Master

I had never heard of her before Sat. night. While the music from the show didn't really grab me, it was entertaining and kept my attention. I then watched some stuff on youtube Sunday morning. Some of it is pretty good. It seems like she has gone through a lot of phases and changes her look often. Maybe one of those artists I have to listen to for a while to really get it.

19. stratology

stratology Strat-Talker

These days, she creates a completely new persona, look, visual narrative, artistic concept, for pretty much every album. All of this is deliberate, thought out, and planned in detail - including the way a record sounds in terms of specific goals for sound engineering.

The last phase combined the, arguably, most 'out there' and, for the band, impersonal look with the most personal and vulnerable music she had written to date.

Bob the builder and vid1900 like this.
  20. rmackowsky

rmackowsky Strat-Talker

How can you not love her after watching this? Totally genuine, unpretentious, and talented. Her music can be a bit sterile and contrived at times, but I can't take my eyes off of her.

vid1900 and Pandamasque like this.