Join Strat-Talk Today

Staggered Pole Pieces

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by flmason, Oct 18, 2008.

1. flmason

flmason New Member!

My '79 Strat has flat pole pieces. (Sounds great for U2 type tones, etc. Maybe not classic strat tones, but very nice.)

My Current MIM has staggered pole pieces a bit like this:

........I
    .....I..I.....I
    ...I I..I..I..I
    I..I.I..I..I..I
    E A D G B E

Which seems to be the classic staggered configuration....

But my Fender "Starcaster Strat" has this:

......I..I
    I..I..I..I..I..I
    E A D G B E

I've even seen some pickup kits on Stew-Mac claiming this is the standard staggered configuration. I'm curious and skeptical. Was this ever the "standard" pole piece confiiguration on any Fender Stratocaster?

Strike me as some sort of cost cutting thing or a way to make sure that the inexpensive strats are quite on par tone-wise with the expensive ones?

2. thaus

thaus Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Isn't the whole point of the staggered pole pieces to ensure that the output of each string is consistant? I am sure someone here can clarify but I wasn't aware that the tone would change............

3. StratmanNick

StratmanNick Senior Stratmaster

Agreed Thaus. As I understand it early Strats of the 50's had flat pole pieces which were all at the same height. Later in the 60's they were domed and at different heights to help even out the level issue.

Not so sure about 70's models, though as a friend of mine has one I'll check it out, though I think from memory they are flat and all at the same height.

4. StratmanNick

StratmanNick Senior Stratmaster

hope this helps:

Checked out my friends 70's Strat and pole pieces are defanently set at different heights. And the pole piece tops are Flat.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.