Stevie Ray's Tone

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by FireFunkRevival, Apr 9, 2021.

1. FireFunkRevival

FireFunkRevival Strat-Talker

That must have been amazing. Please elaborate.

2. Fenderbaum

Fenderbaum Strat-Talker

Has Rene Martinez ever come out with any secrets about his rig?

3. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Strat-O-Master

But not a reissue. That would be a terrible mistake.

BTW, SRV played a TS-10.

4. StratSounds

StratSounds Senior Stratmaster

I don’t think there’s too much magic in the rig, it’s mainly just raw talent, brutal attack, and a whole lotta soul.

5. Stratattack72

Stratattack72 Strat-O-Master

Not much secrets. Electro Voice speakers were his preference. Going back to 1982 when they played that show in Monteux his tone was extremely clean it was all vintage strat and sometimes he'd hit that tube screamer that was it. His talent or tone was all him. everything else that was later added was frosting. He was super talented and didn't need or care for a lot of tricks . Only if something served the song.

6. FireFunkRevival

FireFunkRevival Strat-Talker

I'm going home to turn the blues deluxe up and take a trip to the tone zone... see what happens.

Archtops likes this.
  7. cranky

cranky Senior Stratmaster

He used a ts808 tubescreamer and really heavy gauge strings (13s I think) is what I've always heard.

FireFunkRevival likes this.
  8. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Strat-O-Master

9. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

Play like your life depends on it.

Then you'll get close.

10. StummerJoe

StummerJoe Senior Stratmaster

A Leslie is a rotating speaker in a big cabinet that produces killer warbling chorus type sounds and you can adjust the speed or turn it off for a regular sound. Was intended for keyboards but guitar players discovered just how cool they are for guitar. Think "Tightrope".

A rotating speaker cab is definitely on my short list of wants.

FireFunkRevival and CB91710 like this.
  11. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

An often overlooked support for sustain is left hand vibrato.... heavy wavering, or very light, barely perceptible.
    Been a long time since I've really tried to push it and I'm way out of practice, but I used to be able to sustain a note at conversational volume for as long as I wanted with just a little gain. The slight movement across the fret acts like a violin bow.

12. Cold Shot

Cold Shot Strat-O-Master

IIRC, he played Marshalls for his cleans and Fenders for his dirt, notably Vibroverbs. Those 15's have a very serious punch that hits you so hard that you feel like you went three rounds with Muhammed Ali.

For pedals, he used a TS9 and TS10. The 808's were usually for show. As others stated, he used a wah, fuzz, and Octavia on occasion. I've heard it was a Vox wah, but I can't prove that.

Other than that, it's his fingers, man. As others have stated, it was his attack, finesse, speed, and his inhuman ability to improvise that made no two jams and live tracks sound alike. I quit trying to sound like SRV a long time ago because, A, I won't be able to, and B, even if I did, I'll just be a copycat. Inventing my own sound and style has been way more fun. Just me, though.

13. metrokosmiko

metrokosmiko Strat-Talk Member

Cranked amp, tubescreamer, and DIG INTO THOSE STRINGS. I don't think gauge matters too much. I think you can nail it with 10s or 11s. No need for more.

But - correct me if wrong - isn't the whole point that his pickups were overwound? That's why there are countless 'texas' style pickup sets. Texas Specials... Tonerider City Limits... blah

By the way that first lick on "Pride and Joy" is all middle pickup. Stevie played it for all to hear and yet no one gives a damn about that pickup.

14. Stratoblaster

Stratoblaster Strat-O-Master

I'm pretty much convinced the only real mystery to his tone is him. His tone is mostly loud clean/driven hard amp, Strat tune down. I don't even think you need the Tubescreamer. The best thing you can do (other than practice or make a deal with the devil) is tune down a half step. I keep my favorite Strat tune down and it sounds so much better to me.

15. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Censored

This never gets old, it's gold.

16. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

It was a bit of irony.
    Stevie always felt that #1's pickups were overwound, and that is what Fender did with the TS.
    Stevie died before he had a chance to play the TS pickups, but after his death, examination of #1 revealed that the pickups are actually slightly underwound.
    This is consistent with most other classic blues artists who tend to use Alnico-2 magnets, or pickups dropped lower than normal.

TS are a love/hate thing. I find them a bit sharp and they need to be dropped.
    Honestly, back in the 90s, I found that I could get pretty close to SRV's tone with Gold Lace Sensors.

17. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

A lot of his stuff was played through a clean amp with pedals in front. You won't find a lot of dirt in a 300w bass amp like that Dumbleland--which he loved because he couldn't make it break up. The dirt comes from the Tube Screamer and the fuzz pedal.

He played hard. Really really hard. Probably he needed those heavy strings because lighter ones would break.

CB91710 likes this.