StevieSnacks/Texas Blues Alley recommendations?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by BadBrad, May 18, 2014.

1. BadBrad

BadBrad Strat-O-Master

I'm looking for some recommendations from anyone who has used the Texas Blues Alley (used to be StevieSnacks) materials.

I play mostly acoustic (old time, folk, bluegrass) but dabble in electric blues now and then. Lately I've gotten back into blues, and specifically Texas blues, and I found the Texas Blues Alley instructional material. I was going to dive right into some of the SRV Style song lessons, but then decided that learning more of the basics might be helpful. So I bought the Essential Fretboard series and went through it. It was good, but mostly review for me.

Now I'm wondering what to do next. I think the Albert's Influence series would be good before getting into the SRV style stuff, but I'm wondering if there's another basic/woodshed level lesson I should do first. I think the 5 Essential Blues Boxes would be more review. Has anyone here done the 5 Boxes Essential Licks series? Is it worthwhile? I'm wondering whether to buy that one next or go right to Albert's Influence.

2. BlueCajun

BlueCajun Senior Stratmaster

Hard to say. I've often wondered about his various "essentials" lessons. I've been playing quite a while but have sometimes wondered if it would be worthwhile to take some of them as refreshers and hopefully learn something new.

I can say that I've tried his "Whiskey, Wine, and Gin" lesson and liked it a lot. The lessons are really well done with multiple video angles. I also recall it being cheaper than the Albert's/BB's/Freddie's Influence lessons. So if you have a particular SRV song you'd like to learn the style of, it might be worth going that route.

But if you should decide to go with the 5 Essential Blues boxes, please report back or drop me a PM to let me know if you liked it. Thanks!

3. screamineagle

screamineagle Senior Stratmaster

Be careful of Albert, his sound really cant be replicated, ya he played his guitar upside down but there is something exclusive about him.

4. BadBrad

BadBrad Strat-O-Master

I wouldn't say I want to replicate Albert, but I do like his style, and he was a huge influence of SRV's playing, so I thought it would be worthwhile to learn his style before diving into the SRV tunes.

I love the song Tin Pan Alley, so I'm definitely interested in the "Whiskey, Wine, and Gin" lessons. Likewise for "Texan Floods".

For the SRV song lessons, I also wonder whether to start with the beginner or intermediate level. I'm pretty sure I can learn the intermediate level just fine, but I wonder if learning some of the more basic beginner licks would help with learning to improvise.