1. Enter to Win one of two Strats we are giving away! An American Pro II Strat HSS and a Squier Classic Vibe Strat. To see the prizes and rules: https://www.strat-talk.com/pages/2020_Fundraiser_giveaway/ To enter: https://www.strat-talk.com/account/upgrades To enter, simply upgrade to silver (1 entry), gold (2 entries), platinum (5 entries), or double platinum supporting membership (10 entries). November 5th is the last day to enter!

Still love my Broadcaster but bonded with my recently acquired Stratocaster

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by teleplayer99, Oct 18, 2020 at 12:19 AM.

1. teleplayer99

teleplayer99 Strat-Talk Member

After years playing a tele, I get it. Mine is the 1954 AVRI 60th anniversary one. I always liked the neck, sound, looks and so on. I just had not bonded with this wonderful instrument. But I played it tonight and everything clicked. It was hard to put down. And after days of no play, it was in tune, and I adjusted nothing. Thanks for all the advice I received from the folks on this forum.

2. Antstrat

Antstrat Senior Stratmaster

We like pics :)

fos1, EC Strat, kdines and 3 others like this.
  3. soulman969

soulman969 Senior Stratmaster

I'm another whose been a Tele guy my whole life. The first Strat I ever owned was a '66 or '67 (who knew back then) that I got in '69 and sold by 1970.

It took 49 years before I bought another yet I'm glad I did. It had to be a hardtail and the only more recent production hardtails are the Robt Cray models made in Ensenada. They are terrific guitars for an old Tele guy.

I've owned many US Fenders over the years and I cannot in all honesty say any of them have an advantage over the model I own. It's a ten year old NOS one that must have hung on a dealers wall forever because it's spotless.

While I may never buy another Strat I am glad I finally bought this one.

4. Scott Baxendale

Scott Baxendale Strat-O-Master Gold Supporting Member

I only played Strats for over 20 years. I had a real 54’ and a 59’. Both were amazing! But in the early 90’s I finally got my first Tele. I’ve never looked back. I’ve switched to playing a Tele’s exclusively for another 20 years, until I started playing the Silvertone 1446, which is the best and most versatile electric guitar I’ve ever played. It can do everything from chicken picking, warm jazz, to delta swamp music and screaming rock. I also use a couple of vintage Jaguar a lot these days. I have a 63’ & 68’.

At one time I owned 7. I lived for that in between sound (the not out of phase Out of phase sound) before they had 5 position switches we used to remove the spring from the switch which made the switch slide to any spot. We could then get the neck/middle setting and the middle/bridge setting, without trying to balance the switch on the in between setting. The problem was it was easy to bump it while playing and a move it to another setting.

Since I’ve been on this blog I’ve been getting the itch to get another Strat, however...

EC Strat likes this.
  5. tinkertoy

tinkertoy Strat-O-Master

Congrats!

The hardtail strat is a tele lover's dream.

I went the warmoth route to get mine. There was the cray and I think an american standard/series was available when I built.
    None had the neck specs I wanted, so warmoth it was.

Take a look at the freeway 3/6 way tele switches. You can treat it like a tele with additional positions that way.

Bank 1- n, n/b, b
    Bank 2 - n/m, m, b/m

soulman969 and Mike Manhost67 like this.
  6. Stratafied

Stratafied Senior Stratmaster

I wanna believe you have one but ...no pics.

jtoomuch likes this.
  7. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985

I played Strats for ever and got into Teles about 5 years ago. Just last year I sold all my Strats, so I now have 3 Teles, and they just work for me.

Stratafied likes this.
  8. Ebidis

I played Strats for ever and got into Teles about 5 years ago. Just last year I sold all my Strats, so I now have 3 Teles, and they just work for me.

Baelzebub likes this.
  9. soulman969

soulman969 Senior Stratmaster

Thanks. While I'd probably prefer a different neck profile more like a soft "V" I don't mind the large "C" of the RC. Just not quite as comfortable for thumb up playing but I can live with it.

I did my old standby trick of wiring a pickup to a push/pull pot, in this case the bridge pickup, so I can add it to the neck when in position #5 and get neck/bridge.

Since I'd already done that with the middle pickup of a Tele I converted to a Nashville it seemed like the simplest route to follow without having to replace and wire in a new switch.

tinkertoy likes this.
  10. RaySachs

RaySachs Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

I've been a strat guy for 40+ years. I've dabbled with teles and I like them just fine. If it weren't for strats, I'd probably be a tele player. There have been a couple of short periods where I had a tele but not a strat and I loved the tele and didn't miss the strat. But when I've owned both and both are hanging there on the wall, I always seem to grab the strat. Eventually I sell the tele and then eventually again I might say to myself, "I really ought to have a tele too" and buy some other version of a tele. But they never last, and I've had a couple I really liked. I'm not a bridge pup guy and that't the strength of the tele. Other than that, there's no sound I could get on a tele that I can't get on a strat and there are three sounds on a strat I can't get on a tele. So I don't see any more teles in my future. My #2, which I don't play often but like having around for the occasional change of pace and perspective check, is an SG with P90s, a completely different type of guitar. I still play the strat 90% of the time or more, but I'm not tempted to offload the SG - I play it just enough to want it around.

I'm also a hardtail guy - never could get anything musical out of a trem bar so I've always decked them. I have a Robert Cray also, liked the spec neck, but didn't love it. Tried a few others and landed on a Classic Player 50's neck, a pretty beefy soft-V and I don't see ever changing it. I love everything else about the Cray and with the right neck, I can't see ever buying anything else.

-Ray

arcticstrat and tinkertoy like this.
  11. Seamus OReally

Seamus OReally Buried alive in the blues Gold Supporting Member

My first non-Teisco guitar was a Strat. Played everything from Teles thru SGs to an Ovation Deacon, and always came back to a Strat. I’ve been playing the Strat I have now for nearly 25 years, exclusively for several of those years. I’ve bought and sold some guitars in that time, but I still pick up my Stratocaster every day.

But I still have a Tele.

12. kdines

kdines Strat-Talk Member Gold Supporting Member

Couldn’t have put it better myself. I think that we are all ‘visual learners’ here!

Rocket King likes this.
  13. EC Strat

EC Strat Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Have you gone mad?

WilseyFanPDX and Ebidis like this.
  14. BuffaloHound

BuffaloHound Strat-Talker

15. Ebidis

Quite possibly.

16. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

He's sane, it's the rest of the world that's gone mad.

EC Strat, Ebidis and Cesspit like this.
  17. Cesspit

Cesspit Strat-O-Master

I got both a Strat and Tele, I need both as one is sweet and one is nasty. And yes, the rest of the world is completely mad............

Ebidis and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  18. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

I've got Strats and a Tele and mostly play my Junior, because the world is mad.

19. Cesspit

Cesspit Strat-O-Master

I also have a Junior......we both got all bases covered then.

As for the world, I gave up bothering about that long ago and concluded I just don't belong anymore.