Join Strat-Talk Today

Still new to Strats — lots to love + a couple surprises

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by draelyc, Jul 24, 2019.

1. draelyc

draelyc Strat-Talk Member

So, yeah. My first Strat is really turning me into a Strat-hound, I think. The weight, the shape, and especially the neck make it so comfortable to play.

But the overall expressiveness keeps impressing me. I see why this guitar is a staple of so many genres. Even having noticed that before, the versatility still caught me by surprise.

The biggest surprise to me, not having a whole lot of previous Strat experience, is probably the pickups, though. I started out on a cheap (I mean CHEAP) Strat knockoff back in the mid ’80s, and its three single coils were thin and shrill, at best. Especially the bridge position. Largely for that reason, ever since then I’ve had guitars with humbuckers.

My American Standard is my first non-import, non-knockoff, *actual* Strat. Stock AlNiCo [edit] V pickups, I believe [now corrected]. But not a shrill tone to be had. And the bridge pickup is both hotter and way fatter sounding than I expected, whilst still having that classic single coil sound.

I’m sure all of this is old hat to most of y’all, but it’s still tripping me out. :eek:

Anyway, I just got new power tubes for my Budda, so here’s some tone, just for fun! Hope y’all are having a great night!

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
  2. Bowmap

Bowmap I nose a thang or two. Gold Member

A strat is a contact drug. Ya done touched it. I enjoyed listening. I went from 12 string acoustic to strat. Once I figured out that I didn't have to strum as hard the sound range was incredible.

Edbso, JP68, Nadnitram and 1 other person like this.
  3. sabbathu

sabbathu Strat-Talk Member

New strat player here too bro. In my 40’s and I’ve been playing since I was 13. Mostly metal and hard rock through set neck humbuckers.

The new strat tones were a breath of fresh air and have made a difference in my playing 1000x!

Enjoy!

Jesse414, Andrew Wasson, JP68 and 2 others like this.
  4. Nadnitram

Nadnitram Senior Stratmaster

I like a Strat for it's tone, but also because it is articulate. Articulate? Is that the word I'm looking for?

5. Bowmap

Bowmap I nose a thang or two. Gold Member

That is a good way to put it.

Nadnitram and draelyc like this.
  6. draelyc

Hard rock and blues in my case, but otherwise the same story. :thumb:

Nadnitram and sabbathu like this.
  7. draelyc

I think that’s a great word for it, yeah. :thumb:

Jesse414 and Nadnitram like this.
  8. JP68

JP68 Strat-Talker

Love the bridge pickup in my '99 Am Std Strat... Beautiful, edgy tone with nary an ice pick to be heard.

Bowmap, Jesse414 and draelyc like this.
  9. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

That seems like a familiar theme.

I bought my first Strat in the early 90’s, and American Standard but being that they are so expressive and damned articulate they exposed all of my flaws. Set neck humbucker guitars were much easier on my playing abilities so the Strat had to go.

About 5 years ago I got hooked on Telecasters and then they’re the gateway to Strats and now I’m fully hooked on Strats. I’ve got 3. They’re completely different from one another and I’m just barely avoiding buying more. I’ve already got my short list of what’s next. Probably a Classic Player 50’s, then a 90’s Strat Plus. Then we’ll see what happens.

sabbathu, JP68, draelyc and 1 other person like this.
  10. coltpeacemaker

coltpeacemaker Strat-Talk Member

I
    I only just got my first Strat two weeks ago after being a Gibson LP person most of my life and it's been great! The LP feels like a muscle car while the Strat feels more like a exotic super car with its C profile neck. I find the AlNico V pickups fantastic in mine and has that lovely twangy Strat sound we love!

Andrew Wasson, sabbathu and draelyc like this.
  11. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member

Nice! Not sure what year your American Standard is, but they have Alnico 5 pickups, not Alnico 2s. And starting about 1996-97 the bridge pickup is wound slightly hotter (not much, just a bit hotter) than the other 2 pickups - that is what Fender's marketing called the "Delta Tone" system, and when the bottom tone pot (wired to the middle and bridge pickups) changed from the TBX (with a detent in the middle of the sweep at about "5") to the no-load pot with the detent just past "10" that takes the pot out of the circuit.

BuddyHollywood and draelyc like this.
  12. draelyc

I think mine's an '09, and the tone knob definitely works on the bridge p-u (otherwise would have been a deal-breaker for me), and the détente on the knob is as you say just past 10, so it's the Delta Tone system. Thanks for the info on the pickups' being 5s. Good to know.

Either way, I think they sound amazing. :eek:

13. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member

Sorry; I saw the 2nd string tree and thought it was an older one, but they used pretty much the same Alnico 5 pickups with only minor mods from 1996/97 through about February 2012 (they did change from flat polepieces to staggered-height polepieces in mid-2000).

draelyc likes this.
  14. sabbathu

sabbathu Strat-Talk Member

Right? I bought this ONE strat because i just wanted to add the variety to my current rig. Just ONE strat was all i needed. But now I'm drooling over the new American strats and my next guitar will probably be another strat. Freaking GAS never ends.

Andrew Wasson and draelyc like this.
  15. draelyc

I tend to forget about that ~ the guy who sold it to me said he added the second string tree. (I don't know why.) My pickups do have the staggered height pole pieces, so that tracks. :)

16. horax

horax Strat-Talker

Mine has alnico 3 pickups. Through my ac15 they are almost too bright and thin. Through my boss katana they are heaven. I like smoother, warm tones. Should I swap to alnico v?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.