Still undecided with my new Fender Stratocaster | Elite and AmPro content

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by valvestate, Dec 20, 2019.

Which guitar?

1. Fender American Elite HSS Olympic White

43.9%
  2. Fender American Professional HSS Olympic White

17.1%
  3. Fender Lincoln Brewster Stratocaster

19.5%
  4. Fender American Ultra HSS

19.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. RobbieAG

RobbieAG Strat-Talk Member

I own a Professional, but the Elite discounted by $300 would be very tempting (assuming you played it and really like it).

valvestate likes this.
  2. jwj1701

jwj1701 Strat-O-Master Silver Member

I picked up another elite after the ultras came out. You can get new ones for as much or less than the professionals. Less than that for used. I got mine used for $1150

3. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member

Screw the Ultra with it's crappy truss nut.

Get the Elite the moment the Ultras come in the door (for max discount)

valvestate and mapleglo like this.
  4. mapleglo

mapleglo Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Yeah, I have to agree with @vid1900 - I really like the wheel truss rod adjust on the Elites, and I prefer the Elite compound radius compared to the Ultra. And the price is right on them.

valvestate likes this.
  5. Murphcaster

Murphcaster Senior Stratmaster

They practically have the same compound radius don't they? the Elite starts at 9.5" at the 1st fret and goes to 14", while the Ultra starts at 10" and goes to 14".

mapleglo likes this.
  6. wrvond

wrvond Senior Stratmaster

I wouldn't make my choice based on pups or pick guards, those things can, and do, get changed easily and frequently.
    The first thing to look at is the neck.
    All have medium jumbo frets except the Professional. If you prefer narrow tall frets, then that's your logical choice.
    None share the same neck profile -
    Professional: Deep C
    Ultra: Modern D with compound radius
    Brewster: Soft V
    Elite:Compound Profile - C to D (or vice versa)
    The Brewster uses active mid-boost. Where's the battery? Belive me, it gets old pulling strings and lifting the pick guard to change a battery you think MIGHT be dead.
    Ultra and Elite both use S-1 switch and Elite claims no-load tone. Pots and switches are another thing that is easy to change. Treble bleed a' la Professional and Brewster is very easy to add.
    All appear to have pop in trem bars, so that's easy, though the Brewster (I think) uses bent steel saddles. I prefer the steel saddle blocks, but that's just me.
    Brewster and Elite have locking tuners, which are nice for quick string changes.
    All come with a hard case.
    Another big deal (potentially) is the neck heel. The Professional neck heel is square, while the other three have an asymmetrical neck heel.
    Neck shape, frets and neck heel. Those are the things that cannot easily be changed and are going to affect your comfort.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
    Namelyguitar, valvestate and RobbieAG like this.
  7. mapleglo

mapleglo Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Yes, they are very close. Oddly enough, I felt the difference right away when I tried the Ultra in the store. It's possible that the back profile is different, and contributed to the felt difference.

8. valvestate

valvestate Strat-Talker

Thanks a lot for the comparison! Very helpful!

By the way, may I know how does tall frets compare with medium jumbo? what's the advance or disadvantge of having tall slimmer frets?

I always used medium jumbo (I think) in my Strats (MIJ and MIM)

9. wrvond

It comes down to personal preference, but, the taller fret wire can allow faster playing and easier bends because less pressure is required to fret the notes.
    OTOH if you like to press against the fret board you might not like taller wire.

Something I think is odd is the neck heel- I don’t know a lot of Christian music that really hits the high notes, yet the Brewster has a contour heel, while the Professional does not. You’d think a Pro would want easier access to those really high notes.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
    valvestate likes this.
  10. valvestate

valvestate Strat-Talker

errmmm dude there are a number of Christian guitarists that do epic face melting solos in upper frets! :D:cool:

Not all are hymnal and chords bro!

I also play some solos from time to time!

11. wrvond

I didn’t say they are all hymnal and chords.
    And that’s not the point. Look at it from the other end. On a global scale, how many “professional” players do you think there are compared to the number of “Christian” players? And yet the “professional” doesn’t get an asymmetric heel.
    The whole point of a cut away is to provide access to the upper frets. Shouldn’t ALL Strats have an asymmetric heel?

valvestate likes this.
  12. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

Just one of the reasons why the name "American Professional" was/is kind of a stretch (or marketing hyperbole) for a model that is a continued slight evolution of the American Standard model.

valvestate likes this.
  13. Tone Guru

Tone Guru Senior Stratmaster

The truss rod doesn't bother me at all.
    What rubs me wrong is that the bridge pickup is not angled correctly for a Strat.

14. semka

semka Strat-Talk Member

Frankly, I believe that Elite is the most versatile guitar from Fender in recent history (esp HSS version).

valvestate likes this.