Storage unit

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by guitarface, May 2, 2021.

1. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Dr. Stratster

She melted a bit on a few tangenital threads but nothing that rose above the level of Yo Mama jokes.

2. RobZ69

RobZ69 Senior Stratmaster

She didn't come in wanting to sell to forum members. She didn't even suggest that herself.
    She answered 'Sure I'll sell to forum members' when she was asked.

Yes, she was lazy in her posts just posting pictures assuming everyone knew the back story.
    Yes, she didn't listen to people who suggested an alternative approach.
    Yes, she didn't react too nice to scepticism.

But I feel the reactions by some of the members here were way over the top, or at least premature.

That being said, nothing important has been lost in all the removed posts.

Except possibly the naïve idea that all members of this community are here to help each other...

elduderinoTF likes this.
  3. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Dr. Stratster

My recollection, which is quite good, is that she indeed said she would sell them to forum members in response to someone asking what she was going to do with them, after specifically asking for someone to "enlighten" her.

And I would also take issue with your snide implication that people here weren't trying to helpful. For the most part they were but you can't help people who don't want to listen to good advice or accept help and who get sh!tty with anyone who suggests they might want to.

For the most part people here are great about helping, IME. The one's who aren't, much like yourself, just get blocked so they don't clutter up the joint.

CB91710 likes this.
  4. RobZ69

I didn't mean to imply no-one was trying to be helpful. Most were, initially certainly. I explicitly said 'some members' and that she did not respond to helpful suggestions...

5. RobZ69

And thanks for the completely uncalled for personal attack on me.

6. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Dr. Stratster

If the shoe fits...

Roca81 likes this.
  7. Eric_G

Eric_G Strat-Talker

Ducking, he called fore twice !!!

Sorry I couldn't resist :)

8. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Strats Amore Silver Member

From the get-go, the vibe I got was she must have imagined that her coming in here with that hoard of confiscated gear would be like the "Yuuuup!" guy waltzing into a store and having the owner ooh & ahh over every single item while spewing out fantasy "if this were brought to auction" prices.

Instead she discovered Strat-Talk! :D:rolleyes:

nadzab, Bowmap, CB91710 and 2 others like this.
  9. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Censored

Precisely what I was thinking lol

Roca81, Baelzebub and bluejazzoid like this.
  10. RobZ69

Is that why you felt it necessary to include a personal dig at me in reaction to my reply to another persons post?
    Classy.

11. Eric_G

Eric_G Strat-Talker

So to me, that's how it works... If you bought a storage unit full of music gear, you walk in a music store and try to unload the goods...

Music gear in storage units have to be somewhat common (unless you specialize in used diaper storage)... If I was in this business, I have a feeling I would have established a network of trusted music stores to unload the gear as fast as possible at the right/fair price...

In retrospect, showing in a forum like this is quite odd !

12. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

Exactly why the whole thing didn't pass the smell test.

If that's your business, you have a network of buyers and appraisers that you use to flip your inventory.
    Benefit of the doubt, she(?) could have been someone who made their first purchase after binge watching Storage Wars.... but there was "just enough" broken English to get my spidey senses tingling that it may have been an overseas scammer.

I didn't even think to try a reverse image search to see if those had been lifted from ebay or CL.

Guy Named Sue likes this.
  13. Eric_G

Eric_G Strat-Talker

Careful about the broken English, I live north to you (Well north-east to be precise) where we cook with maple syrup and summer only last a week :) I may feel offended !!!

14. RobZ69

All true, but to be honest I don't think she was a professional storage unit buyer...
    She said it was a hobby.

From what I read, the thing escalated way to quickly. But since an admin contacted her, apparently there was enough reason to take action.

15. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Strats Amore Silver Member

Unless she/he was here only a few weeks ago [plan A] posing as a well-known and trusted member to steal from us.

[plan B] New member who knows "nothing about guitars" joins seeking help with a storage unit full of "I don't know what it is" stuff - playing the part of the gullible yet willing deal-maker.

Roca81 and CB91710 like this.
  16. Meghans Dad

Meghans Dad Strat-Talker Gold Supporting Member

I agree with that. I got the feeling that she had made no attempt to do her own research and was using TB as a free appraisal service. I only saw the first few posts, so I could be wrong.

Roca81 likes this.
  17. Eric_G

Eric_G Strat-Talker

But aren't those two scenarios "quite odd" ?

See, if I found jewelries in a storage unit, I would just tend to go to a jeweler and ask for an appraisal, my first instinct would not be to join a jewel making forum... It's not like music stores are rare...

Roca81, bluejazzoid and CB91710 like this.
  18. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

She did get some conflicting and contradictory information on how best to proceed, but at the time, I don't think anyone realized the volume, or (poor) quality of images that would be provided.

RobZ69 likes this.
  19. RobZ69

They may be closed due to lock downs though. And perhaps she just wanted to get some more info before getting them appraised more professionally.

20. RobZ69

True.