Strange looking Strat

Supernukes

Strat-Talk Member
Feb 2, 2019
Jensen Beach, Florida
I have a chance to buy a MIM Strat. The neck look authentic but the body has a strange appearance. The pickups are Ibanez and it seems to me to possible be a Fender MIM Strat neck on another make of guitar body. Lokking up the serial number says it should have been sonic blue......any help would be appreciated...Thanks in advance

Attachments

• P5040328.JPG
    P5040328.JPG
    101.7 KB · Views: 128
  • s-l1600 (1).jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    83 KB · Views: 131
  • s-l1600 (2).jpg
    s-l1600 (2).jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 135
  • s-l1600 (4).jpg
    s-l1600 (4).jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 127
  • s-l1600 (3).jpg
    s-l1600 (3).jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 117
  • s-l1600 (4).jpg
    s-l1600 (4).jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 113
  • s-l1600 (5).jpg
    s-l1600 (5).jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 110
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 129

FrieAsABird

Senior Stratmaster
Mar 18, 2020
Germany
Hey, welcome to the forum! That neckplate belongs to a Chinese made Squier, so my guess is that the body is from a China Squier. Is it priced accordingly for a partscaster?

FrieAsABird

Senior Stratmaster
Mar 18, 2020
Germany
I have a chance to buy a MIM Strat. The neck look authentic but the body has a strange appearance. The pickups are Ibanez and it seems to me to possible be a Fender MIM Strat neck on another make of guitar body. Lokking up the serial number says it should have been sonic blue......any help would be appreciated...Thanks in advance
The neck is legit in my opinion, 2008 Mexican standard neck, but according to fenders serial number lookup, the body of this guitar was originally Electron Blue… so definitely a partscaster… the neck is the most valuable part of this… how much?

dirocyn

Most Honored Senior Member
Jan 20, 2018
Murfreesboro, TN
I know prices were up for a while, but I saw a MIM with a $400 asking price just yesterday. Whole guitar, and not a funky partscaster either. I agree this is a bad deal.

...unless you get to play it first, and the heavens open when you take the first strum. If it speaks to your soul, it has value beyond price.

Some partscaster are absolutely fantastic. I would not criticize the guitar someone loves. Things are personal, if you find love I'm happy for you.
A partscaster that is for sale is not loved.

dasherf17

Strat-Talker
Nov 1, 2021
25 miles SE of Rogers Mn
I know prices were up for a while, but I saw a MIM with a $400 asking price just yesterday. Whole guitar, and not a funky partscaster either. I agree this is a bad deal.

...unless you get to play it first, and the heavens open when you take the first strum. If it speaks to your soul, it has value beyond price.

Some partscaster are absolutely fantastic. I would not criticize the guitar someone loves. Things are personal, if you find love I'm happy for you.
A partscaster that is for sale is not loved.
Well said...simply put, if it works, don't fight/fix it...(even spellchecker spoke)...!
Love it to death...how does it feel/sound?

dirocyn

Most Honored Senior Member
Jan 20, 2018
Murfreesboro, TN
Thanks everyone for your feedback.....I can't play it ....it has to be shipped......I was thinking of offering 250.00 with free shipping.....any thoughts???

What are the parts here you want? If you were building your own partscaster, which of these would you want? And what are those worth to you? That's how much it's worth.

Firewood

Strat-Talk Member
Oct 21, 2020
Massachusetts
It isn't always that simple. I have an unusual and lovely partscaster, bought from a guy who was moving on much gear because arthritic hands no longer let him play much.
I agree. I have a partscaster that I found on Reverb from a guy that just happened to be local to me. I didn't ask why he was selling it (I assume financial) but it just so happened to be pretty much spot on to what I had been considering to put together myself. Save me the effort and quite a bit of $$. It's a lovely guitar.

possumkiller

Strat-Talker
Aug 3, 2010
Poland
The neck is legit in my opinion, 2008 Mexican standard neck, but according to fenders serial number lookup, the body of this guitar was originally Electron Blue… so definitely a partscaster… the neck is the most valuable part of this… how much?
My 2008 CAR standard had the black CBS style logo with serial on the back of the headstock. I thought this older version was from the 90s to early 00s?

FrieAsABird

Senior Stratmaster
Mar 18, 2020
Germany
My 2008 CAR standard had the black CBS style logo with serial on the back of the headstock. I thought this older version was from the 90s to early 00s?
The change came in 2006/2007… it’s weird because fenders website says it’s a 2008 and the picture shows the old decal… but it seems this is a legit one, maybe a transition one?

Eddy Current

Strat-Talk Member
Aug 29, 2022
UK
It looks wrong to me. The pickguard doesn't seem to fit around the neck. The set up is pants and all the saddles are all at the same height and in line, so either the action is very high (maybe been used for slide?) and so the intonation will be out. If it's a partscaster then ther is no guarrantee the bridge will actually be in the righ tposition relative to the 12th fret which may mean it can not be set up without a lot of surgery.

kiedff2

Strat-Talker
Aug 14, 2018
Glasgow
Neck looks legit

Can't say much for anything else.

Don't think the body is from the same guitar. MIM neck pockets at least of that vintage have deeper curves routed out in the corners of the neck pocket (I assume for wider manufacturing tolerances), which that body doesn't have. Couldn't tell you what it is though