Strange Reverb purchase issue?

Stratatouille

Senior Stratmaster
Dec 16, 2013
Montana
I paid for shipping BTW. I just shipped one of the worst guitars for size and weight very recently an Explorer in the hardcase! Huge box and 31 pounds UPS ground for $80 and heres the feedback I got

upload_2021-7-2_9-3-13.png

Mr Dunlop

Senior Stratmaster
Nov 30, 2014
usa
I've shipped at least 200 guitars and I never loosen the strings and don't put anything to protect the frets. Never had a problem or a complaint. But I would definitely explain to any buyer that the guitar was going to be shipped sans strings, thats just werid IMO? 1st thing we all do when a guitar arrives is see how well the setup is, then restring if necessary etc

I always ship with strings loosened and neck wrapped in between.
I put a discloser in my ads that everybody's set up preference is different and plan to make a few adjustments to setup

I had a buyer try to extort me for 150 over a set up.

Last edited:

Stratatouille

Senior Stratmaster
Dec 16, 2013
Montana
If you buy a brand new Gibson guitar it comes in tune and with nothing protecting the frets from the strings so I have no idea who came up with the idea of loosening strings is safer?

Stratatouille

Senior Stratmaster
Dec 16, 2013
Montana
What if the seller is trying to hide something like the guitar is a buzz machine and then says its because I don't know how to string or setup a guitar?

MartinC

Strat-Talker
May 11, 2010
UK
Perhaps if you have such concerns then buying sight unseen off the internet is not for you? I tend to approach these things from a starting point that the seller is honest. If I have concerns I raise those with them directly. Having conversations about people who are not ‘in the room’ doesn’t really progress things much.

bsman

Senior Stratmaster
Mar 4, 2014
Storage B
You mean you can take strings off and put new ones on?!?!

tenor.gif

crankmeister

Most Honored Senior Member
Jul 9, 2020
Republic of Gilead
As per Reverb policy, you'll have 7 days to string it and find out that the pickups don't work right or that there's a ground issue. Having been burned before by Reverb dealers, I wouldn't put it past your guy to try it.

You'll want to make that first priority, or cancel the order.

henderman

Dr. Stratster
Dec 4, 2013
largo,fl
i have seen sellers disclose they were shipping it disassembled but this is new for me.

i bought a tele on ebay used in an aftermarket case. there was no protection between the strings and fretboard and the cover on the neck pickup is knackered from the strings. but the case fits horribly and the guitar wobbles around inside of it so it became damaged...

AV59

Senior Stratmaster
Aug 3, 2015
New York
Worry is just a dividend paid to disaster before it is due.

Wait till it gets there then let us know if there's a problem. Until then sleep easy.
+1

I’ve paid a lot of those dividends in the past. Many times there was no issue in the end, but I couldn’t get those dividends back.

hecubus

Strat-Talker
Jan 27, 2016
Dallas
Loosening strings helps mitigate against tension changes caused by temperature variation. It is probably an overabundance of caution, but you seem to be implying that is serves no purpose. Placing a film in between strings and frets prevents denting frets. The three Gibsons I have had shipped to me all came with the protector as pictured above.

Are you concerned about the neck warping in shipment? I am failing to understand why someone removing strings (while providing brand new strings) bothers you so much. Maybe he reinstalled the original pickups before selling and didn't want to restring. Maybe he is embarrassed about the amount of finger goo on the strings. Maybe he is not confident in his ability to restring a guitar. I am interested in his response and hope it brings you some peace.

Baelzebub

Dr. Stratster
Nov 1, 2019
State of Disbelief
If it comes with the neck off I'd call that a kit, I bought a whole guitar. Strats with neck off can be troublesome they don't always just reassemble and play right, might of had a shim thats gone now or the saddle screws could have turned w/no string tension on em?

It may be that someone asked him during the selling process for pix of the neck pocket/markings to verify it and he just didn't put a new set on, or some other valid reason.

I can't see how a valid question to the best source (seller) could be used against you, but hey..it's Reverb.... In this case I think it documents your concern just in case when the guitar arrives it proves to be founded. I'd ask.