Strangest trade offer you’ve ever received...

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Justin226, Nov 23, 2020.

1. Justin226

Justin226 Strat-Talker

Forgot to take my CL ad down after selling and got perhaps the strangest trade offer I’ve ever received.

Second would be when I was living in SF and a dude offered me pot, which apparently is not an uncommon trade offer there.

Attached Files:

Chuck8436 likes this.
  2. Chuck8436

Chuck8436 Senior Stratmaster

Scrap metal was once offered to me for a Gibson Flying V. Also a work bench, which is definitely less weird.

Justin226 likes this.
  3. Justin226

Justin226 Strat-Talker

Scrap metal is hilarious...because they could’ve scrapped it and offered you cash.

Chuck8436 likes this.
  4. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

I've had people offer me things like sports cards or 'collectible' scale model cars, it's crazy how high they value them. They're not worth 5 bucks to me.

Baelzebub and Justin226 like this.
  5. ChrisD

ChrisD Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Depends how old the oil paintings were and who painted them :D

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
    mjea80 likes this.
  6. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Strat-Talker

Septic tank work in exchange for a Rhodes keyboard I was selling on Craigslist.

Justin226, Chuck8436 and elduderinoTF like this.
  7. Justin226

Justin226 Strat-Talker

Pretty sure there’s no Dali in there.

Stratbats, ChrisD and Chuck8436 like this.
  8. train

train Strat-Talker Silver Member

Sex for room at the practice spot.

9. Jeepocaster

Jeepocaster Senior Stratmaster

Pool table with a missing leg and only a “few” tears in the felt...

Yeah, uhm, no.

10. nomadh

nomadh Strat-Talker

a guild acoustic for a gibson studio LP was out of the blue once. I was interested a bit but didnt follow up. Maybe I should have.
    One time, somehow, and I might have initiated the offer, but I was well into a trade of a nice horse for a gibson es125 or 175tdc. It was a 59 and as light and delicate as a baby bird. I really loved that guitar but if you can believe it I HAD TO BACK OUT! It was my wifes horse and the sale was on a test drive as we had to make sure we would be a good owner. Well he rode it for 1/2 hr then was too sore to come over for lessons on how to take care of it, then said he didnt have money for food, wanted spurs to "make it do what he wanted". Basically he went off his meds. So I said the deal was off. So then he really went off the beam. Screaming we shook on it. Everytime he said deal I added if my wife approves and you show your a good owner. He never seemed to hear that part. Got a call from a horse boarder that he was given my address to pick up his horse. He checked because he knew the guy was off his meds too.
    What a mess. I carried my gun when out in the yard for awhile after that and had to have a friend hang out when I was out at night.

11. Handsome McClane

Handsome McClane Strat-O-Master Silver Member

Had an old Ibanez that was in parts. Had it on CL for $75 firm. Guy calls and says he'll take it, and then shows up an hour late and has a couple of gift cards that I've never heard of and a $20 bill.

12. Duane_the_tub

Duane_the_tub Strat-O-Master

Vermonters like to hoard (just drive around and look what's sitting in people's yards here), and "horse trade" for things they think have more value. That includes instruments - even if the person doesn't play AT ALL.

I've been offered: a (non-functioning) snowmobile, a dog, guns (multiple times), gift certificates to restaurants, you name it.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020