Strap Lock Advice Required Please

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by SpeedKing, Feb 4, 2020.

1. SpeedKing

SpeedKing Senior Stratmaster

Howdy all.

So most of you will know I have a beautiful Oly white and rosewood CIJ ST72 I'm gradually making into a more accurate but unscalloped Ritchie Blackmore 'signature'.

New pups and electronics are in and in a correct '62 style guard. Trem tip is now chrome and the guitar already came (unlike the actual signature series guitar) with the correct 'original contour body' decal, block saddles, nut material and tuner style and has a signature and serial no. free headstock (is it only me who thinks those signature decals are just plain tacky?).

Anyway, the last thing is to consider strap locks. To be honest I'm wary of having the Dunlop flush mount system fitted but not really sure why... other than you're limited to using the one 'matching' strap once it's done of course.

What are people's thoughts please. Go the whole hog and pay to get the flush mount system (I'd have to pay to get my shop to do it but also it's irreversible obviously), go for the 'standard' Dunlop strap lock system with no extra holes required or leave it just as it is now with the standard buttons?

All opinions welcome as long as they're polite.

3bolt79 likes this.
  2. bsman

bsman Strat-O-Master

I used to be a confirmed Schaller straplock junky, but then I bought a bag of 100 of these:

[​IMG]

(Grolsch-type bottle gaskets) for under $10 at Amazon and use them exclusively, Have not had one single problem.

CB91710, brians, 3bolt79 and 13 others like this.
  3. lammie200

lammie200 Senior Stratmaster

My personal experience with strap locks was not good. They made a lot of metal-on-metal noise as the guitar shifted and they were heavy enough to feel an overall difference. I like rubber washers if I need to use anything at all.

brians, 3bolt79, strattopper and 4 others like this.
  4. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

I don't like strap locks. I use heavy, thick leather straps, they don't want to come off even with brute force.

3bolt79, strattopper, Nate D and 4 others like this.
  5. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Fuzz Meister General Strat-Talk Supporter

Yep, rubber gasket either from beer bottle, Fender or the ones shown above. I quit using straplocks several years back when the engineer in the studio and I spent 45 minuets trying to find out where the high pitched noise was coming from only to finally realize it was the straplock cup moving against the button.

3bolt79, strattopper, Nate D and 4 others like this.
  6. TVvoodoo

TVvoodoo Strat-Talker Vendor Member

Oversize strap buttons are my first suggestion for trouble free guitarin

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

3bolt79, Class A Knob and sam_in_cali like this.
  7. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Most Honored Senior Member

Strangely enough, the $5 Monoprice straps have very heavy leather ends and don't need locks. Unfortunately I have no idea where or if similar straps are available in the UK.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=611300

[​IMG]

3bolt79 and Stratoskater like this.
  8. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

Me either, I've only bought two straps in 40 years. The last was Levys wide bass strap in 2007. ;)

Tell a fib, my granddaughter picked a pink Levys one like that for about a tenner at the local guitar emporium when we went to fetch her Squier Mini...

3bolt79, Nate D and Stratoskater like this.
  9. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

my dunlop strap lock on the top horn snapped off and i caught the guitar before it hit the ground.

yeah they were 15 years old but no more contraption strap locks for me.

10. Class A Knob

Class A Knob Senior Stratmaster

11. Cyberi4n

Cyberi4n Strat-Talker

Jim Dunlop straplocks for all my guitars. Never let me down in 10 years

12. nungesser

nungesser crash into your windshield of love Strat-Talk Supporter

Grolsh pop top washers
    free with your beers, I was just home and my friend was worried about the strap on his SG I bought a couple of Grolsh and fixed him right up with the bottle top washers, nice and thick and they stretch over the strap button/doodad with out any hassle. No extra screws or oversized metal washers.
    Give it a go and if you don't like them change it out later

3bolt79 and Stratoskater like this.
  13. ido1957

ido1957 Senior Stratmaster

Schaller for the last zillion years...they work. Like anything you have to check them every so often

3bolt79, EAllen and mapleglo like this.
  14. EC Strat

EC Strat Senior Stratmaster

I use both Schaller and Fender strap locks after one of my guitars fell after the strap came off. Damaged it a bit

the schallers seem to be more reliable than the fender strap locks as I’ve had to retighten the Fenders a few times. They are also much more tricky to tighten the thin nut enough to keep it in place. The schallers are much easier to tighten down but are quite a bit bigger profile

3bolt79 likes this.
  15. sam_in_cali

sam_in_cali Scream for me Strat-Talk! Strat-Talk Supporter

Nice, are they available in black?

3bolt79, Class A Knob and 808K like this.
  16. Miotch

Miotch Senior Stratmaster

I know a lot of people don't like Dunlops, but I've been using them for 30 years without a problem. One strap for all of my electrics. Same strap for 30 years too. Have a backup strap with the lockers on it, but it isn't soft and broken in like my old one. However, I did have to buy the Dunlop buttons for all of my electrics. On the first few, I didn't know you could buy the buttons by themselves, so I have a few sets of the male latches in a box somewhere.

I've never tried another type, so have nothing to compare it to. I've never had one break nor noticed any weight difference or noise from them, though.

And I did no research before I bought my first set. That was in the 1200-baud modem internet forum days. Saw them behind a counter, bought them and liked how they worked.

If I were to start from scratch today, I'd research first. Maybe I'd start with something else, but once you have something that works, you like it and used to it, I can't see changing. Not to mention I'm just too cheap to change everything over to a different system unless something goes wrong with what I have.

The only reason I ever bought them in the first place is that I had a very stiff and thick strap and was heck to get on a guitar and wasn't ever quite sure if it was really secure or not.

3bolt79 and wrvond like this.
  17. TVvoodoo

TVvoodoo Strat-Talker Vendor Member

Nope.

sam_in_cali likes this.
  18. CB91710

CB91710 This is a Custom Title Gold Member Strat-Talk Supporter

+1

It's not 1985 anymore... I'm not swinging my guitar around my shoudlers by the strap.
    Honestly, I don't feel that anything other than a Les Paul, or a Flying-V with the button above the neck really needs a lock of any kind, and for those, the rubber washer is perfectly adequate.
    Though I don't feel they are needed on Fenders or my other Gibson/Epiphones, I do still use them.

I never really liked the way the Schaller locks fit to the straps. There's also the issue of what to do with the strap when not in use. With the locks, you don't want them bouncing around in the case, so the strap goes in the bag with the pedals.
    The rattle never bothered me plugged in, and was really only apparent when seated with slack in the strap.

For a little more security, you can upgrade the buttons to oversized mushroom style, rather than the Fender "trumpet" style, which honestly makes it easier to take off than to put on.
    But again, I honestly feel that they are not needed on any Fender, or most Gibsons.

Stratoskater, 808K and Stratwrangler like this.
  19. Class A Knob

20. Class A Knob

Also, go for mushroom shape and not conical