Strap Lock Advice Required Please

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by SpeedKing, Feb 4, 2020.

1. Namelyguitar

Namelyguitar Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

OP, have you settled on one, yet? @SpeedKing?

2. SpeedKing

SpeedKing Senior Stratmaster

No not really.

My car got written off last week so I've been busy with that and the insurance since.....

3. beermonster

beermonster Strat-Talker

In the polites way possible . I bought, I think they were dunlop strap locks. They really made a lot of metal against metal noise as another "poster" mentioned, but failing the screw breaking off , they aint coming off!. I found wrapping plumbers PTFE tape in between the bits that bash together solved that problem. Easy, cheap nearly invisible, fix. On the rest I use the biggest strap buttons I can find on ebay and a grolsch type washer. But i only play sitting down any way. Unless a lady enters the room. then it is only polite to stand up. LOL

4. Largecucumber

Largecucumber New Member!

All my guitars get the dunlop dual design straplocks and an Ernie ball black strap. I'm using these now for more than 20 years without problems. I started using the strap locks after my strap got loose and my lp copy smashed against a table and the headstock broke.
    The guy that did the repair suggested using strap locks to prevent this in the future and I bought a set. In hind sight I would have bought shallers as they are a bit cheaper. But other than that? No complaints and very happy.
    just one thing when I install them, I fill the screwhole of the standard buttons with thooth picks and glue and then drill the hole with the right size drill. Never had one come loose. If they where to come loose, the same rule applies as for all strap buttons: tighten the screw the moment you see it has loosened.

5. Jam Handy

Jam Handy Strat-Talk Member

I've had the rubber gasket-type that everybody thinks is neat-o and coy... slips off way too many times for my liking. They're cheap for a reason.

I hate Schaller strap locks because you always have to fig-fuddle around and pull up on the stupid knob/button thing and to me they are the most annoying things to remove the strap from the guitar. I wouldn't give you 2 cents for Schaller strap locks. If I buy any guitar with those on it, the first thing I do when I get home is throw them in the trash. I hate them.

I don't know what kind of modifications you are talking about with the Dunlop brand, but sounds like I wouldn't go there... must be you mean these, and there's no way in hell I'd cobble up any guitar, even a Squire Strat with these...
    https://www.jimdunlop.com/straplok-strap-retainers-flush-mount-24kt-gold/

The original Dunlops suck, too because you can only use a strap with the strap lock mechanism on them...they have no normal button, just a straight shaft made only for the opposite side strap lock piece
    https://www.jimdunlop.com/straplok-strap-retainers-original-nickel/

The best ones and the ones I use are the "Dual-Design"
    https://www.jimdunlop.com/48103040002-straplok-strap-retainers/

The head of the part that screws into your guitar can still work with a regular strap if you left the strap with the opposite strap lock mechanism at home or something.

The reason I go with the Dunlop Dual Designs is (for one) you can buy the female part at a place like "All-Parts" for dirt cheap, and install that part on several guitars, thus you can use the same strap with multiple guitars. Secondly, they fasten tight, and come off with a simple index and middle finger under the strap, and your thumb on a push-down button to release the mechanism... I'll still be fiddle-farting around with Schallers minutes into wanting to swap straps... plus the dinky little guitar-side button let's your un-strap-locked strap fall right off... junk IMHO.

Here's the guitar-side Dunlop parts on the All-Parts page... $5.50 per guitar... saves you from buying another $20+ set of Dunlop strap locks, so you can use the same strap on all your guitars... such as... for instance, you have a wireless unit clipped onto your favorite strap and you want to change guitars... you better wait until your break between sets to do the same thing with Schaller strap locks...
    https://www.allparts.com/products/ap-6582-dunlop-strap-buttons

I like the black ones as they sort of disappear on the guitar. I have a butterscotch blonde Tele with a black PG, and the black guitar-side parts look pretty good mixed with the black PG.

To each their own, though. If you want to go rude and crude, just take out the screw, go to the hardware store and for like 10-cents you can find 2 flat washers with a hole in them just big enough for that screw to fit through. Flip the old strap button into a drawer of disappearing objects somewhere, and just screw the strap to the guitar with the washer. Might take some extra elbow grease to get it deep enough to get the washer flush with the horn and body. But its not coming off unless the washer breaks. (You could get 2 screws while you're there that are a bit shorter that would fit the holes you have...)

You also won't be taking the strap off anytime soon, either.

Dimarzio (and probably others) make a strap system that does just that. They call it a "Clip Lock" strap.
    https://www.dimarzio.com/straps/cliplock

They have a plastic un-coupler at both ends for removing the strap from the guitar. Only down side I see with these is that they are pretty much all nylon straps. If you have a fairly heavy guitar, that thing will be digging into your shoulder before the night is through. I see they have one 3" strap, but I'm a *****, I like supple leather straps. The latest nice ones I've found are by Perri's Straps... no break in or rough edges (like some of the Levi straps I have always bought)... they make a bah-zillion different straps, but this is the one I got, I love it... soft, supple and comfy as hell...
    https://www.guitarcenter.com/Perris/2-1-2-Suede-Leather-Guitar-Strap-Black-1275776904591.gc

I don't do business with Guitar Center for personal reasons, but the model number of that strap is: P25S-202

3 times the price on the Perri's web site, haha
    https://perris.ca/product/2-5-black-soft-suede-guitar-strap/

Just strap it on and do it like a gigilo... haha

That's my 5-1/2 cents worth ^^^^

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
  6. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunny Frankenstein Strat-Talk Supporter

Next time you want to throw away a set of Schallers, PM me and I will send you my address. I will gladly take them off your hands.
    After over 25 years of using them I have absolutely no problems using them and every guitar I build gets them unless otherwise specified by my customer.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
    Stratwrangler likes this.
  7. Stratwrangler

Stratwrangler Senior Stratmaster

Im chuckling to my self about this thread as I bet most of these guitars are just played at home .
    Ive been playing for 35 years and gigging for 25 years and use a Good quality leather strap on normal buttons and have never dropped a guitar. Maybe I'm more restrained but im not static either lol. I did have them dimarzio clipones on an Ibanez I bought which I left on it but apart from that just normal.

TVvoodoo likes this.
  8. Duane_the_tub

Duane_the_tub Strat-O-Master

+1 on rubber washers. They work perfectly and are super cheap. I've never even tried actual strap locks because I've always been 100% satisfied with washers.

9. Believer7713

Yeah, I am sure most are played at home. I don't gig nearly as much as I used to but still do and am pretty active when I do too. I have dropped 4 different guitars that didn't have the Schaller locks on them. I'm not saying that Schaller is the only way to go, just my way. When people ask for an opinion on strap locks, I tell them mine and my experiences.
    The first guitar I dropped was an old beater back in college, I was using a nylon strap with leather ends and, I am guessing, I didn't have it all the way on...that's on me.
    I dropped my Jazz Bass when I had it strapped across my back while playing a keyboard part for a song and the leather strap slipped off the bridge button. I still have that bass with the dings and paint knocked off 20 years later.
    Another was a friend's strat that had dunlop strap locks and the top horn lock failed. Thankfully I was able to get my foot under it and not have it fall directly on my pedal board. It still got scratched though.
    Lastly was one of my favorite acoustics. It was light enough that I caught it. Even my Breedlove had a set of Schaller buttons installed the day I brought it home. It had them for two reasons, the safety and so I can use the same straps as my electrics.

10. Stratwrangler

Stratwrangler Senior Stratmaster

Yeah those nylon ones are terrible , im lucky cos dad plays so there was already good leather straps in the house couple he made him self out of woven suede , suppose im not very active when I play im just a blues guy that pulls funny faces when i play, not a bouncing rocking machine like some of these guys wasn't a dig at any one just my observation about straps.

Believer7713 likes this.
  11. Believer7713

Don't worry, I didn't take any offense at all or see any shade thrown. I was only explaining why I use them. Everyone has what works for them. I don't fault anyone for doing what works either. [emoji450][emoji445][emoji444][emoji450] Rock on, or Blues on and keep making faces.

Stratwrangler likes this.
  12. 33db

33db Senior Stratmaster

My new tele has a system where you slide a top on the peg after you put the strap on and it snaps in place.
    https://shop.fender.com/en-US/parts/strap-locks-buttons/fender-strap-locks/0990690006.html

Honestly though, keep it versatile and use a standard lock system.