Strap Retention

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by JJ119, Oct 9, 2020.

1. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein Silver Member

I change all of mine to Schaller buttons first thing when I get them home, even my Breedlove. I keep three straps that are all solid leather and can use each one of them on every guitar. I even use two locks on the front bout that are installed opposite of each other for use on my RR guitars that have the button going the opposite direction so I don't have to twist the strap.

2. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Guy Who Likes to Play Guitar Silver Member

Right... same here, for the straps that need them. As Thrup'ny Bit said, straps with heavy leather ends don't need the washers. The "expensive" type from Monoprice are like that. I think they were $4 when I bought mine, but now they're $8 each. They are offering free shipping at the moment.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=611300

Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
  3. crashbelt

crashbelt Strat-O-Master

Dunlop 7000 strap locks. I just keep a pair in the case of each guitar so no need to mess with original end pins or straps.

Not pretty but that's the only downside - dead cheap too.

JJ119 likes this.
  4. Morf2540

Morf2540 Senior Stratmaster

Yes I use those too. They work perfectly, cost a couple bucks, and you don't have to mod your guitar.

JJ119 likes this.
  5. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

Those look just exactly like the jobbers that hold down the convertible top on an MG.

6. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music.

I have some guitars that a washer wont fit with thick leather straps. I havent figured out what to do yet. Im kinda over the schaller ones.

JJ119 likes this.
  7. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

When the straps stop staying where they should be, I'll do the same. They've never slipped in the last 38 years, so...

amstratnut and JJ119 like this.
  8. heltershelton

heltershelton BANNED Silver Member

these
    strap locks download.jpeg

9. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Guy Who Likes to Play Guitar Silver Member

JJ119 likes this.
  10. Believer7713

Another thing that I like about the Schallers, which also goes for the other ones that mechanically attach to the strap, is that once they are on...they are on. there is no losing them unless you lose the strap, they don't wear out and at least for me they have been a one and done. I have never HAD to buy another set but only did because I got another strap.

JJ119 likes this.
  11. WelhavenT

WelhavenT Strat-O-Master

Those cheap Dunlop strap lock on three guitars. Dimarzio Clip locks, Ernie ball and Schaller strap locks on the others.

JJ119 likes this.
  12. JimmyDee

JimmyDee Strat-Talk Member

+1 to the Schallers. The only issue I've had is what someone else mentioned: if you don't tighten down the nut on the strap side enough (use a wrench!!) the strap latch can turn over, requiring you to fiddle with it so it's working as designed. That's user error though, and they've never come off even if the strap latch wasn't in the right position due to the locking pin.

The only con that comes to mind is you have to cut your strap leather to mount them, making your strap unusable without them. So not something you can throw on a strap with sentimental or vintage value unless you're okay with altering it.

That being said, those fender push lock ones would look nice on my Strat...

aikiguy likes this.
  13. Believer7713

The new S-locks are smaller in width so there is no cutting. They also have a longer thread so thicker straps are a non-issue too.

eclecticsynergy and JJ119 like this.
  14. RobZ69

RobZ69 Senior Stratmaster

Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
    dirocyn likes this.
  15. RobZ69

RobZ69 Senior Stratmaster

To be honest, neither have I. Not completely upside down.

And... To be even more honest, it may have been Epiphone strap locks... And not actual Schallers...

But I did experience one rotating more than 90° once, after I played the guitar they were on while sitting down for a longer period (weeks).

Apparently the button fixed to the strap had come slightly loose, probably due to it rotating with the strap holding no weight. The button on that particular set had a lot of friction with the peg fixed to the body, causing it to unscrew and then rotate. Luckily I was holding the guitar when it finally slipped off the peg.

Anyway, that cannot happen with the Loxx.

16. Bluestrat83

Bluestrat83 Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

I’ve tried all and all are good but the cheap red rubber ones do exactly the same than any other model... took me decades to find out haha

rgale and RobZ69 like this.
  17. blasphemoustrat

blasphemoustrat Most Honored Senior Member

upload_2020-10-9_20-49-32.png bunch's amateurs in this thread. upload_2020-10-9_20-49-32.png

18. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZPVL3SM/?tag=strattalk05-20

I don't like proprietary devices that lock me in to one manufacturer, or that prevent me from using the same strap on any of my guitars.
    I don't feel that any guitar other than a Les Paul (or similar with the button angled up) actually needs anything to secure the strap.
    But the washers are cheap and simple to use, so I use them on everything.

A friend dropped his Ibanez RG when the D'Addario/Planet Waves locking strap broke. Broke at the tail, so it just dropped, there was no catching it.
    They did buy him a new one, but he had to deal with shipping the damaged one back to them, and of course, that was his baby and the insecurity of whether the replacement would be as nice.

19. StratoMutt

StratoMutt Senior Stratmaster

I like the old Schallers.

The Fender "button" style above look just like the old Schaller design. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

A caution: the hex nut can come undun if your are careless. Some kind of light duty thread lock compound is a good idea. I just use Elmer's white glue. Yellow wood glue should well too.

20. soulman969

soulman969 Senior Stratmaster

I've been using these for several year and have never had a guitar or bass detach from one. Just mount so the wider side goes across the slit in the strap end. In fact with some thicker leather strap ends I have to remove them to attach the strap.

[​IMG]

Stratbats and CB91710 like this.