Strap Retention

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by JJ119, Oct 9, 2020.

1. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

Unless you store the washer on the button after removing the strap... which I do.

2. TVvoodoo

TVvoodoo Strat-Talker

pm'd.. yes, I am a strap-maker, and have the strap buttons milled out of solid aluminum for me. Bodean has many, many fans here, gets rave reviews - and made with love and care out of quality materials, of that I am sure.

Caution.... Have you ever owned one of those chinese belts that said 100% genuine leather on the inside? then you find out it's Some kind of crazy fibrous cardboard body, covered with bi-cast leather where the finish begins to chips and peels, or separates and bubbles out after bending? Buyer beware. Looks great on the outside, even I can get fooled and I work with leather every day. Appearances can be deceiving, there is some documentation of certain strap co issues on the web if you look. Someone who purchases a lot of leather and can calculate prices, gotta wonder.

[​IMG]

I love how a certain guitar strap co spins this long story about being an American company since gold rush days, making luggage, saddles, bridles and harnesses, etc. I have searched multiple times to find even one of these things they have made for sale after over a hundred and twenty years in business. These goods do not exist. Not one attache case or bridle. Saddles easily last fifty years if made well - there is a good market for used harness and tack goods. Also cannot see anywhere where the product is sourced, but if it was USA-made, they'd be saying so.

Bugle buttons are bugle buttons. They cost about 1 buck/ twenty of them for manufacturers. That's the best thing they have going for them. Inexpensive.
    The jackson dinky button scares the living poop out of me. What's holding your strap from just falling off when you bend over to tweak a pedal? Not a heckuva lot.

My buttons have approx 2X the holdback surface area.They work with every stock factory strap I have tried them with, without stretching the holes crazy out of shape. Great peace of mind. There are reviews of them at the link I sent you via PM.

JJ119 likes this.
  3. Sarnodude

Sarnodude Most Honored Senior Member

I've used Fender button locks, Schaller and Dunlop. They all work.

JJ119 likes this.
  4. ThebiggestJerk

ThebiggestJerk Senior Stratmaster

Washers from Home Depot... $0 7C154E48-65D3-4700-9B62-B4025818FC27.jpeg AABC30D1-A757-4498-9DD0-FDB8E690A8EF.jpeg .35 each

Blue Beagle and JJ119 like this.
  5. ThebiggestJerk

ThebiggestJerk Senior Stratmaster

JJ119 likes this.
  6. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Strat-O-Master Silver Member

Any mechanic knows that more parts=more possibility of failure.
    Straplocks are for people who need to spend more money on another gizmo.
    "Grolsch" washers or steel fender washers.
    Simplest is best.

clydethecat, scotjudy, rgale and 2 others like this.
  7. charlie chitlin

If that's just a strap button with one real big end that the strap cannot come off of, that's a very sensible system!
    To do it with your existing buttons, take the button off, punch a hole in the strap big enough to go over the inside of the button, but not the outside, put the button on the strap, screw it back on the guitar, never think about it again.
    If you're a gun person, spent shells can be used for punching different sized holes.
    Or buy a leather punching kit...you'll find other uses for it.
    I also use mine to make my own gaskets.

JJ119 likes this.
  8. keys88

keys88 Strat-Talker

I've used strap locks on every guitar ever since my Goldtop LP almost fell off my strap while I was playing. I didn't even realize it, the other guitarist pointed it out. The bottom strap button was halfway out of the hole.

For years I've used Schaller style locks. I like them but they tend to get grimy around the strap peg for some reason (and I'm not playing in dirty or smoky areas). I recently picked up a set of Dunlop strap locks just to try something different and I actually really like them. Very easy to get on and off and they seem sturdy. I had avoided them because the locking part sticks out further from the guitar. But so far they're great and the buttons are still nice and tight on the body. BONUS - they actually help balance my guitar a little better. I have them on a home-built guitar with a lightweight body that is prone to neck-dive. But the Dunlops move the strap about an inch away from the body, which changes the geometry just enough to make a noticeable difference in balance.

JJ119 likes this.
  9. Largecucumber

Largecucumber Strat-Talk Member

All systens are good. The only difference is personal preference and cost.
    Whatever you choose, use the same for all guitars. That way the straps are interchangable

10. TVvoodoo

TVvoodoo Strat-Talker

Beware. Also adds significantly more leverage on the screw.

CB91710, Roddy the Hot Rod and JJ119 like this.
  11. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein Silver Member

As a third generation mechanic of over 4 decades I also know that metal is stronger than skin. Even dried and tanned skin. I'll take my chances with a single moving part that I have been using for over 25 years that outlasted 2 straps.
    Just my 2 centz

drp146, Roddy the Hot Rod and JJ119 like this.
  12. gguitar55

gguitar55 New Member!

I don't care for strap locks. They are extra weight and I don't like the way they rattle. I do like the Planet Waves straps. They have a locking ratchet type strap end made of vinyl plastic. They work great with the standard strap buttons. Just close the ratchet wheel and squeeze the side button on the strap end to release. I believe D'Addario is distributing them as well.

Roddy the Hot Rod and JJ119 like this.
  13. Roddy the Hot Rod

Roddy the Hot Rod New Member!

It’s as simple as this with me on pretty much all my guitars; do you know those bottles of beer that have a ceramic top with thick wire levers to hold the tops on? Well, as you probably know, they have thick rubber-washer seals and those stretch over the strap buttons at just the right elasticity to secure your straps. Of course go for fancy tech if that’s your thing, but personally I find that solution cheap and cheerful plus durable and effective. Oh, they’re not necessarily the most attractive solution but are more attractive than the effects of gravity!
    I have other techniques for my favourite mistress,but those are Far too sensitive,and individually tailored, to share.

JJ119 likes this.
  14. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Most Honored Senior Member

Only thing about the bulk ones from Brewcraft is that they are often pink, like pencil erasers, with a lot of variance in thickness - still cheap though:

[​IMG]
    I got some off of EBay that are a shiny red - I think they were $8 for 25:
    [​IMG]

My favorite are still the ones that actually come on the Grolsch bottles - amazing how many big name players use them...

JJ119, Triple Jim and roadhog96 like this.
  15. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Strat-O-Master

I have the Dunlop's on all my electrics. Just ordered some more for the guitar that's on it's way. New strap too.

JJ119 likes this.
  16. roadhog96

roadhog96 Senior Stratmaster

Everyone of these aftermarket strap locks have failed for someone at one time or another. They are noisy, (metal against metal), they can cause finish damage if the strap hits the guitar and some require modding the original screw hole. These Grolsch style rubber washers require nothing to install, inexpensive, quiet, cause no damage and I’ve never heard of them ever failing. You can get them in a variety of colors if you don’t like the Grolsch pink. I do think it’s safer if your guitar has either the vintage style buttons or the similar modern version that came on the American Standard models. The wider flared end of those buttons make it next to impossible for these washers to come off on their own.

JJ119 likes this.
  17. charlie chitlin

BTW...the Fender branded red washers are made of a material that dry rots and splits.

CB91710 and JJ119 like this.
  18. rhodesworks

rhodesworks New Member!

I use a 1 1/2” stainless steel wood screw and a fender (hardware not guitar)washer on a 3” leather strap. Works great. Mo problem putting it in the case.

JJ119 likes this.
  19. gaddis

gaddis Senior Stratmaster

Like some others have said, you don’t need strap locks. You need a good leather strap.

Stratoman10 and JJ119 like this.