Strat action

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by SYCORAX, Feb 13, 2020.

1. SYCORAX

SYCORAX Strat-Talker

I'm cursed. It seems every strat I get I cant get the action down. It sits at like 1/4in past the 12th everytime I get a new one. Then I end up selling it and being really pissed off. I can set up guitars no problem but fender strats just have the most annoying bridges ever. I'm talking early 90s mim strat with the kinda saddle shape bridges that turn up at the end. I can get the action low enough on the first 12, then the last 10 are jacked way up. I shimmied the neck hoping that would fix it since there isnt a neck angle adjustment on this guitar. When I did that it bottomed the top and made the back 10 sit better. I'm so frustrated by this. I just want a start that plays nice. I've seen them, I've played them. But for some reason I cant get one to work. By the way I'm not one of those guys that thinks the trussrod is for action adjustment. So if that's your answer please learn how to not destroy a neck trying to set action with a relief adjustment. The bridge is for action adjustment, but god just doesnt want me to strat. If you have any suggestions that would be great. I always have more to learn and you guys are definitely the ones to ask about fenders. This seems to be a common problem with strats. The neck is straight on this one. I got relief in order. The action is just driving me insane.

2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

Are you even setting the right relief to .010" before doing your action height and intonation? Setting up a Strat is super easy to me. It just takes time and patience. Truss rod/relief takes 10 minutes or so, then action height to 4-6/64" at 12th or 17th fret.....and then intonation....and if you have buzz then, either you're too heavy handed or the frets aren't level....

You can't get a super low Gibson style action on a 9.5" or 7.25" fretboard radius Strat though - it's just not possible because of physics.....

So....how high do you like your action and what string height are we talking here?

One more step I forgot - which is floating or decking the bridge - that comes after you set the truss rod but BEFORE action height.....

Triple Jim likes this.
  3. SYCORAX

SYCORAX Strat-Talker

Yep I know how to set up guitars, turns out the neck was trashed. I couldnt win that battle, put a new neck on from my stash and it plays like a dream. Set up in 10mins.

Thanks for the info though, always nice to learn.

Guitarmageddon likes this.
  4. emann

emann Strat-Talk Member Silver Member

Hi - do you set the action of 4-6/64" at 12th or 17th fret across all six strings at the mentioned frets please?

5. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

Yes, but only after setting the truss rod / relief properly....