1. Enter to Win one of two Strats we are giving away! An American Pro II Strat HSS and a Squier Classic Vibe Strat. To see the prizes and rules: https://www.strat-talk.com/pages/2020_Fundraiser_giveaway/ To enter: https://www.strat-talk.com/account/upgrades To enter, simply upgrade to silver (1 entry), gold (2 entries), platinum (5 entries), or double platinum supporting membership (10 entries). November 5th is the last day to enter!

Strat bridge pickup: keep or replace?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Cali Dude, Sep 19, 2020.

1. ThebiggestJerk

ThebiggestJerk Strat-O-Master

Try a Alnico 5 Tele Rails bridge pup from TNT. Best thing I did to my Strat.
    https://tntcustomguitars.com/Tele-R...ckup-Alnico-V-Humbucker-Performance-30039.htm

2. Dreamdancer

Dreamdancer Senior Stratmaster

Drop a kinman 69 or a dimarzio virtual solo or a dimarzio injector and just enjoy...the alternative is rewiring your existing pickups....try the neck and bridge together..maybe its just what you want without changing a thing.....

Cali Dude likes this.
  3. StummerJoe

StummerJoe Senior Stratmaster

I use the Fender CS Fat 50's, and the bridge position is my favorite, and the middle and neck sound great too.

Cali Dude likes this.
  4. Ivan975

Ivan975 Strat-Talker

I changed my bridge to SD Hotrails the minute I got out of the store. Never regretted it. Someone said it has the sound of a humbucker trying to sound like a single coil, not this one. If you don't back the tone a little it can be a bit thin.
    Second tone pot is a no-load, wired to the bridge. The pickup is set fairly high, I rarely use it on it's own, I like the bridge+middle combination on drive, for some solos or riffs etc...I just like closing the tone pot a little and that's it.

Classic and modern hard rock tones in a second.

On an Ibanez I have DiMarzio Evolution, it's one of the highest output passive full humbuckers out there.
    The Hot Rails on a Strat, used with or without the middle pickup has waaay more character to it. Just an opinion on comparing it to full sized humbuckers, though they are not all the same.
    DiMarzios often tend to sound a bit too modern for me.
    Duncans are IMO a better choice for a Strat, along with other aftermarket/boutique pickups.

Cali Dude likes this.
  5. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Convert the first tone pot to master tone, then use the second tone pot to control a blender circuit. I like the Armstrong mod best to go from SSS to HSH (wiring only change) but there are some other blender schemes or push/pull.

Cali Dude likes this.
  6. tinkertoy

tinkertoy Strat-O-Master

I added an ec midboost kit.

Now I have the super bright ear bleeding strat bridge sound and something in the realm of hot p90 with the turn of a few knobs.

Keep in mind that changing to a hotter bridge pickup will affect the b/m sound, if that matters to you.

Cali Dude likes this.
  7. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too.

I agree with the suggestion to add a jumper to the neck tone pot before you start pickup-swapping.

8. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Senior Stratmaster

I like a more muscular wind at the bridge in a Strat. Beefier but still true singlecoil.They have extra body & output, yet still give the authentic bite when you dig in & pick hard, and they still offer a bit of chime when treated gently.

For massmarket pickups, the Duncan Quarter Pound is a good one. The Antiquity Custom Surfer bridge is very nice and vintagey - it's only slightly overwound and still sounds very Stratty.

Others I use and like at the bridge:

Zhangbucker Paul Bunyan

Rio Grande Halfbreed (they also make a hotter one called the Muy Grande; I haven't used the Strat model of that myself but I can testify that the Tele version really smokes)

DAllen Echoes bridge (this one's tapped so you still can get traditional bridge tone if desired)

the bridge pickup in the Onamac Pinktone Strat set

Vintage Vibe SP-90 (actually a Strat-sized P-90)

Cali Dude likes this.
  9. rockon1

rockon1 Strat-O-Master

Well Ive never kept a stock pick up in a strat yet... that said I like the idea of wiring it to the tone pot. I do that to all mine too. Takes the edge off when needed.

PCollen and Cali Dude like this.
  10. Ivan975

Ivan975 Strat-Talker

About the stock pickups, I'm thinking Lollar Blackface neck and middle

Cali Dude likes this.