Strat Bridge Tone

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by bobthecanadian, Sep 23, 2007.

1. gpower

gpower Strat-Talk Member

My favorite Strat has Rio Grande Vintage Tallboys. On that guitar, I love the bridge pup tone. Another one I have has TxSpcs and the bridge isn't too bad on that one either. Several others have stock MIA pups but, I don't like the bridge on any of those.

2. softmonkey

softmonkey Strat-Talker

The bridge pick-up in the new American Standard sounds killer with the Delta Tone feature. Normally I am not a big fan of the bridge p/u and play mostly on the 2, 4 or neck positions, but on this one, with the bridge balls out, it can sound like Don Rich on his Tele, but still Strat-like. Probably with an ash body just magnificent.

3. thaus

thaus Most Honored Senior Member

The blend option is killer! (wire the 2nd tone knob to add in some neck pup). Gives a strat a whole pallette of different sounds!

4. Orlando Mike

Orlando Mike Senior Stratmaster

I changed the capacitor in my 57 Reissue, to a mojotone .47 oil/paper...took all of the hollowness out and added a ton of mid...I love it...I also put the jumper on the 2-3 lugs of the 5 way, so I can crank the tone up if I desire

5. gpower

gpower Strat-Talk Member

I have all 5 of my Strats wired with the bridge & neck connected on the neck tone control. That way I have control of each pup in all 5 pos.

6. Del Pickup

Del Pickup Strat-Talk Member

I've been using the bridge pu more since I installed Fat 50's in my MIM strat and connected the tone control to the bridge. It's way more useable now. Has some real grit about it - even without using an OD pedal.

Rory Gallagher used the bridge pup more than any other position - and his tone certainly wasn't thin or trebly!

7. Kelsey

Kelsey New Member!

The Seymour Duncan Twangbanger and Antiquity I Custom Bridge pickups provide a fatter sounding Strat bridge tone without losing that nice Fender single coil tone. Combine them with a good boost or OD and let 'er rip.

8. asc67

asc67 Senior Stratmaster

" I have all 5 of my Strats wired with the bridge & neck connected on the neck tone control. That way I have control of each pup in all 5 pos."

I'm thinking of doing this on my CV 50's could you explain how to do this ?

9. thaus

Another option here is to get a Fulltone OCD pedal. Man, this thing makes single-coils growl ! Have never been a pedal guy but this one is something else. Worth a try..........

10. ToneMonkey

ToneMonkey Strat-Talker

Funny you should say this. I've been contemplating posting how my recently purchased Bixonic Expandora II had brought my Bridge Pup into play for the 1st time since I had a Strat! But with all this talk of steel plates and boutique pickups, had thought better of it.:D

11. softmonkey

softmonkey Strat-Talker

Does anyone know if Fender sells individual Custom Shop '54 pick-ups, specifically the neck pickup?

12. thaus

I think you can only buy the whole set from Fender. If you want to try a boutique pup that is very similar but better (IMO) try Copperhead pups. This guy hand-winds them and will probably sell you just one pup if that's what you want.......I have a set of his 59's and they are really nice sounding with a ton of dynamics.

13. softmonkey

softmonkey Strat-Talker

Thanks, Thaus.

14. Waynet126

Waynet126 Strat-Talk Member

I like having the S-1 switch with my SCN's on my 50th Anniversary Am Deluxe. It makes the bridge pickup so much more usable to me.

15. cdhopkin1977

cdhopkin1977 New Member!

My Strats are fitted with EMGs. My main one has three EMG SAs, with tone control on the neck and bridge only. I really like the middle position now - very clear and great for arpeggios...sprinkle a bit of light compression, some chorus and delay then get the lighters out.

If I want to thicken things up, I've got an EMG SPC (12db mid boost) fitted into a stomp box enclosure.

16. bobthecanadian

bobthecanadian Strat-O-Master

EMG SPC in a stomp box? That's a great idea! I have one of those that I took out of one of my Strats. I like it a lot. I also have the bass and treble expander. Maybe I will put them both into a box. I think so. Thanks for the idea! Sweet!

17. thaus

Have to look into that.......seems like a cool idea as Bob said!

18. bobthecanadian

bobthecanadian Strat-O-Master

hi cdhopkin1977,

hey, do you have any pictures of that pedal? maybe one of the inside and one outside? I would sure like to see how you did it!

Bob

19. JKjr

JKjr Strat-Talker

My little brother has a secret weapon for his strat...the Duncan pedal booster. It's a true bypass clean boost but also has something they call a resonance control switch that fattens everything up considerably but still retains your core sound. If you back off your guitar volume the boost just disappears. It WILL overdrive your amp if you so choose, but isn't an overdrive as such. Best news: it's only around $70 or so.

20. Marmelaki

Marmelaki Strat-Talk Member

I'm about to buy one of those Seymour Duncan Boosters - it seems like a very good alternative to changing the bridge p/u to a humbucker.
    Still, my Deluxe Player's Strat has the button that gives you more p/u combinations, including the neck and bridge together - just like the tone blender would do.
    The Texas Specials that I have on it sound pretty good in this position - but still not beefy enough, so hence the SD Booster.