Join Strat-Talk Today

Strat build: Body glue joint

Discussion in 'DIY Strat Forum' started by Robby Fowler, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Robby Fowler

Robby Fowler Strat-Talk Member

Want some input before I start working.. is the gap too big in this body blank? Keep in mind it will be a tad more obvious in person

Attached Files:

2. fenderookie

fenderookie Strat-Talk Member

Are you concerned about a visible seam when finished? Personally, I would want a near seamless joint. Will look better and will provide more resonance between the pieces

**darned if I cant type today

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    Dougeryb and simoncroft like this.
  3. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Most Honored Senior Member

+ what the Rookie sed.... do it right.... if you glue it as it is, while it probably will work, the joint will be weaker than a properly jointed seam...

If you don't have a Jointer, you may be able to persuade a cabinet shop to joint it for ya.., or take advantage of the local High School.. many have evening adult "classes" where you can, for about 20 bux take the wood working class.. joint it, and split.. or hang around and have access to a lot of high quality tools.. and a "Master Chief" that's gonna get all over your butt if he sees ya doing something dangerous... :p

r

Yves and simoncroft like this.
  4. EAllen

EAllen Strat-Talker

The answers above are right on target.

Another question might be what finish you plan to put on it. If you are planning a solid paint color rather than transparent then it won't be seen anyway if you don't have the tools to joint it well.

Another option on joining is using a router table is you have one. You can find plenty of how tos on it.

Eric

simoncroft likes this.
  5. sgarnett

sgarnett Strat-O-Master

If you have access to a well-tuned table saw and a good blade (like the Forrest Woodworker II), you can get a near-jointer quality edge by just sawing down the middle of the glue line and regluing it. A light cleanup pass over a jointer would certainly be better though.

6. vid1900

vid1900 Senior Stratmaster

WAY too big of a gap

7. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Most Honored Senior Member

robby, here's how this "stuff" works in the head...

You're building your "baby".. you want it perfect... but right out of the gate, you have issues... If you use a "band aid" approach.. and just settle for it that way... even though it WILL work.. its gonna get in your head.. You will know its there.. its gonna bug you like Deer flies on a warm August evening...

So. find a jointer or someone that has one, and do it right...

rk

8. Miotch

Miotch Senior Stratmaster

I have a beehmoth '63 Rockwell jointer in my shed, generally getting in my way. And 364 days out of the year, I curse it's existence and think of ways to sell it. Then that one day a year comes along and I'm glad I didn't. It's a hernia waiting to happen that occasionally is extremely useful.

If you lived near Tulsa, I'd let you use it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.