Strat Caps

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by KevinV, Feb 14, 2010.

1. KevinV

KevinV Strat-Talker

I have a loaded pickguard I had wired up a couple months ago for a project I've decided to abandon. I decided to try it out in my CV50's Strat and wanted to keep the original pickups so the only thing different is the wiring, CTS pots, CRL switch, Switcraft jack, and a .022 Sprague Orange Drop cap.

It seems muddy now compared to what it was before. It's got to be the cap, so tomorrow I'll swap it out for the original one. Has anyone had this problem with the Orange Drops? It was what I found to be recommended, but I sure don't like it. It also seems that the tone pots don't make much of a difference at all. I'll go back over my wiring...maybe I connected something wrong.

2. paleus

paleus Strat-O-Master

I just ordered some Orange Drops because I've always read so much good about them. They should be here this week. They are .047's so my results may be different from yours. I'll post again with how they turn out. I'm putting one in both of my guitars. One has diMarzio area's the other has texas specials and a pearly gates humbucker.

3. strat79

strat79 Strat-Talker

I tried the orange drops and it was ok but i went with a jensen oil in paper from RS guitarworks and I really like it a lot better its the .047

4. tonyw

tonyw Senior Stratmaster

If anyone can tell the difference between a paper in oil and an orange drop of the same value you have the best ears in the business. Nothing wrong with orange drops they are all i use, forget the hype about poi and save some cash.

5. peskypesky

peskypesky -------

i find that wearing white socks brings out the best tones from my strats. so much better than the tone i get when i'm wearing dark socks.

6. Dice

Dice Strat-O-Master

My Strat has stock caps, but my Tele has got a .022 PIO cap in it, as well as a Strat neck pickup. I like it a lot more than whatever value ceramic cap was in there stock. I find that the entire tone spectrum is usable w/ that .022 Vitamin Q.

7. boof

boof Senior Stratmaster

this is very true the thickness as well can have a significant impact.

there is a decent thread here on cap values and people observations
    http://www.strat-talk.com/forum/tech-talk/17431-capacitor-observations.html

8. sjtalon

sjtalon Senior Stratmaster

Best cap in the business:

Radio Shack, 2 for $1.49.

Then do the socks deal.

9. AllroyPA

AllroyPA LeftyStrategist

... hum, did I miss where you mentioned the value of your Radio-caps ? Fleece socks in the winter gives your strats a bit more static overdrive.

10. KevinV

KevinV Strat-Talker

It's got to be the cap. I went back over everything, changed the tone pot jumper from one schematic style to another, and it's still the same...muddy. I'll try a different cap in it. Looks like a trip to Radio Shack is in order today.

11. KevinV

KevinV Strat-Talker

Just found a couple in the parts box...will try the green chicklet first.

12. strat79

strat79 Strat-Talker

Well I guess I have the best ears in the business then.
    I have leads that were soldered in place and left hanging out the back of my guitar so that I could do easy changes and really try changing back and forth and there is a difference nothing drastic but there is a difference or at least there is for me and I like the pio. better to each his own

13. KevinV

KevinV Strat-Talker

Still muddy. Bad pots maybe?

14. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music.

I find that putting socks of any color on my strat tends to muffle the tone completely. Anyone else had that happen?

15. fenson

fenson ----------------------

doubt if its the cap. .022 is quite lower in value than vintage Fender spec. caps. at .05 or .1 . So I would say the pot or pots. Read the resistance of them and see. Could be ya fried one.

did ya set the pickups to the same height?

16. Toadlc

Toadlc Strat-Talker

Or Stewmac 12 for $4.38! :)

17. Falstaff48

Falstaff48 Senior Stratmaster

I find relic'ed socks to be the most comfortable and have the best tone, but you will pay extra for them.

18. shrekfingers

shrekfingers Strat-O-Master

don't take this wrong, i am not challenging you prowess at electronics, just asking something that might be the obvious to most but maybe not to some lurking for info, did you use a heat sink between the cap and the soldering gun when you soldered them? heat can fry them if you don't.

19. KevinV

KevinV Strat-Talker

Not to worry, I have no prowess.

No, I didn't use a heat sink. Never have before, but that doesn't mean I couldn't have fried this one.

I'm thinking the volume pot. I noticed it only has a usable range down to about 7. Not normal for a CTS pot. I put the original stuff back in and it sounds good again. I'll have to check that pot out.

Thanks for the tips guys.

20. thaus

thaus Most Honored Senior Member

For all those here giving the OP goofy advice about socks, start a new thread if that's the subject you want to dwell on........the OP has asked a pertinent question. If you want to respond to his question, do so. If you don't have anything to say concerning the question, don't type anything and move along. Unfair to the OP's thread when you derail it with silly comments.