Strat Color/Neck Preferences

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by ToneRanger, Jul 6, 2011.

1. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Most Honored Senior Member

There are certain Fender color/neck combinations that I love – and then there are others that just look “wrong” to my eyes.

For instance, I love the look of a Lake Placid Blue with a rosewood FB neck – but LPB with maple is “meh” to my eyes.

The thing I’m realizing though is that while part of it may be I just like some colors more than others, a lot of it comes down to past association.
    Having studied strats for years, I know certain color combos are ”classic” – 2TSB w/ maple in the 50’s, 3TSB w/rosewood in the 60’s for instance – and seeing them mixed up only looks weird because they aren’t the typical, “classic” matchup.

Perhaps if LPB with a maple FB had been the norm I would have felt that rosewood looks “wrong.”

Here’s a crazier one – I love vintage white with rosewood, but with maple it has to be a large headstock – why? I associate the look with Hendrix and Malmsteen – vintage white with small headstock maple looks “off” to me. I know it’s silly and all based on that past association, but I still feel that way.

Anybody this way? Are there certain color/neck combos that look “off” to your eyes – and is it really your taste or, if you think about it, is it maybe just because certain combinations are associated with either a “classic” look or a certain classic artist’s guitar?

2. mordacain

mordacain Strat-O-Master

I prefer maple on everything...no exceptions. I actually had an LPB MIM strat with a Rosewood board and I wanted to change the neck so bad.

Ubermuzik likes this.
  3. BigNorm

BigNorm Senior Stratmaster

Same for me...A strat have to be maple with wathever is the color... But that's really personal.

4. LiveOak

LiveOak Senior Stratmaster

Chrome blue with a rosewood board and black pickguard... yea! Wish Fender would bring that color back to the American model line.

5. ghostwolf

ghostwolf Mod Admin

i like both maple and rosewood.
    body-wise, however, there are just some colors i can't abide. pure white, 2tsb, LPB (:)oops:)), and cherryburst, among others. on a LP, some CSBs look good, just not used to seeing it on a strat...

6. borismcorpheus

borismcorpheus Senior Stratmaster

My personal preference is maple with white pickguard and rosewood for dark (tort or black) pickguards. And of course pickguard choice will depend on the body...

7. jewfresus

jewfresus Senior Stratmaster

I like most colors/fretboards, but have prefrances on the match ups they have. Overall though, if a guitar is hideous but plays and sounds great, I have the strange talent of making myself think it looks good, or at least a lot better.

8. stratocastoff

stratocastoff Strat-Talker

+1.

I also like to match the plastic hardware (p'up covers, knobs, switch and trem tips) to the dot inlays on the neck. For instance, if a guitar has a maple neck with black dot inlays I would use a white or pearl pickguard with black plastics. If the guitar had a rosewood board with white dots, I'd go with black or tort PG and white or cream plastics.

The dark PGs look better on "warm" colors (red, sunburst, amber gloss, etc) to my eyes, where a white/light PG looks better on "cool" or neutral colors like blue, white, etc.

9. mordacain

mordacain Strat-O-Master

I would agree on the color coordination comments you made. I've been hurting for a white pickguard for my LPB and that's the first thing I'm going to do when the Copper Burst arrives is swap the pickguards (and pickups from the Mexican at any rate are going away). So the Copper Burst will have a black guard.

10. Paulo P

Paulo P Strat-Talker

maple on black, sumburts on rosenwood

11. abracadabra

abracadabra Most Honored Senior Member

I think rw boards look strange with some of the pastel colours (dunno if that's the right description) daphne, surf green etc, but generally there are some colour combos that I love (including the white, maple, big headstock mentioned by TR) and most others the jury is out on.

on the other hand, there are some classic combos that are so classic they turn me off. included in this would be :)oops:) sunburst with a white pickguard and black with a white pickguard.

I also very rarely like black plastic on a white pickguard (although someone recently posted a guitar which was some kind of blue, maple neck (black dots) and white guard with black plastic, and that looked great. :confused::))

I agree on the LPB and maple.

then again, I'm a little strange as I often dig white pearloid guards. :D

12. Timmert

Timmert Senior Stratmaster

I love Daphne with both, but it looks best with a dark rosewood board and a tinted neck+headstock.
    Surf green should be maple though ;)

13. Djido

Djido Strat-Talk Member

For me, I LOVE the contrast of the 1ply and 2tsb with the dark rosewood on my 57/62 bastard strat.

14. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Most Honored Senior Member

I actually really don't like "new" LPB - it always looks paler than it should:

[​IMG]

I LOVE an older LPB though , where the nitro has aged and caused it to darken and gives just the slightest hint of green -

[​IMG]

Aged LPB was the inspiration for the repaint I did on my one strat - I found the color that (to my eyes) captured that darker LPB look.

I also agree with those that mentioned how the pickguard plays into the equation - you could have a perfect 3TSB/RoseW FB combination - put a pure white pickguard on it and it looks like a toy.

I really like to see contrast also - I prefer it when there's a color offset between the p'guard and the p'up covers and knobs - even if it's only a single shade of white in difference.

Ugh - and don't get me started on pale maple necks - I love maple necks, but it's got to have at least a little bit of yellow/amber to it.
    That's one of the few beefs I have with alot of the Clapton strats I've seen - the pale neck just looks unfinished...

15. Ubermuzik

Ubermuzik Strat-Talk Member

Totally agree. I have a vintage Strat,maple neck ( pre CBS ) . There’s something about maple necks that feel better to me ...