Join Strat-Talk Today

Strat dilemma- What would you do!?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Bellingjam, Nov 12, 2018.

1. Bellingjam

Bellingjam Strat-Talk Member

Hello there,

I have brought an interesting situation upon myself, and as you all can guess, it is about those darn guitars again! Having played quite a few different models of strats and non- strats now, I have concluded that a non- strat is non- me, too. So after looking around on the web and noodling away in some shops, I decided to try the new player series by Fender, and now dont get me wrong- they are great guitars for the money, the pickups sound nice and bright and the vibrato is pretty much perfect. Still, I dont really feel like I can play the guitar the way i would like to, so while I still can, I consider sending it back an getting my money back. Now, of course i would like a different guitar afterwards, and even though I liked the American special strat, I would prefer a us standard- i think. I have looked around and i found some interesting offers, but i hope that you folks may be able to chime in on what you thoink about them:
    1. An American standard strat rom 1987 which has been refinished, includes case and looks pretty solid--599 euros
    2. Another american standard from 1987 or 88, torino red with some parts changed, includes a case and looks pretty much mint to me-- 700 euros
    3. An American standard from 2012 with upgraded pickups, supposedly SD antiquity surfers, but very well- worn with crates within the fretboard, again with a case- 750 euros
    4. An american special in a very nice sonic blue, but not a fan of the texas specials, tbh. Comes with a bag, 680 euros.

Maybe anyone got an idea? Suggestions? What would you do in my shoes? Thank you all in advance :)

2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

What is the issue you're having with the Player Series Strat? Has it even been professionally setup? It should be a great guitar once that is done.....the others won't be much better IMHO because they are used and could have inherent issues.....

3. Martins Strat

Martins Strat Strat-Talker

I agree with Guitarmageddon, unless you know specifically what you didn’t like about the player Strat, it’s hard to say what’s the right way to go.

Other than the prestige of an American strat there’s no silver bullet that means it’ll be better that a Mexican one.

4. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

I'm agreeing with Guitarmageddon as well. What is it that you don't like about the Player Strat? Player Strats and American Standards are VERY similar in construction and features, so if you don't like the Player, you may not like the Am STD either.

Andrew Wasson and Textele like this.
  5. Yves

Yves Most Honored Senior Member

Now that you've gone around and tried several types you hopefully have a clearer idea of what would tick the boxes for you.
    So you want a 9.5 radius, C profile neck?
    22 frets ?
    noiseless pups or more vintage sounding?etc...
    If it were me for instance I'd go straight for an "Original" 60s style.

6. TheDuck

TheDuck Most Honored Senior Member

@Bellingjam
    Based on what you've said, option #4.
    You can always swap pick ups later on. Getting a solid unmolested guitar is priority one.

I prefer an American Standard to the Special, though I would choose an unmolested Special over a modded Standard every time.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
  7. Ebidis

I have a friend who has an American Special, and aside from the large headstock, the only practical difference to my Am STD seems to be the 6 point vs 2 point bridge. They are very nice Strats.

Bellingjam and TheDuck like this.
  8. TheDuck

TheDuck Most Honored Senior Member

The frets are different, and the body contour seems different, but that might just have been in my head.
    Either way, the Special is really nice.
    The first run had some tuning stability issues, but the later models seem really refined and sorted out.

Bellingjam likes this.
  9. Ebidis

Yeah, I think they have jumbo frets, but to me, the difference between jumbo and medium jumbo is not that noticeable.

Bellingjam and TheDuck like this.
  10. northernlights

northernlights Strat-Talk Member

2 or 3. i'd choose 3.

johnnymg and Bellingjam like this.
  11. Bellingjam

Bellingjam Strat-Talk Member

Well, first of all, thams for all the input! I guess the best advice would be workiing out what exactly I do not like about the Player series strat. I will take it to a guitar technician asap and see what he can do. I usually setup my guitars myself, but somebody with more experience might be a better choice ;) I will make sure to keep you all updated, maybe you will see a pic soon- of a better- setup guitar or a new one... Who knows :)

12. Textele

Textele Senior Stratmaster

This right here ^^^^^^^^^

I have a Player MIM I purchased BECAUSE it is so much like my pre-2017 American Standard (main guitar) for a back-up. The Player, once I dialed in the set-up to my specs, stands toe to toe with my Am St.

They are very similar guitars. And the pickups on the MIM Player are great IMO. I have a Fat 50's neck pickup in my parts drawer. And it's still there, because the I don't think it's much of an upgrade to even change out.

Anyway, hope you get it sorted out to your liking.

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  13. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

That’s a good plan. I think every new guitar needs the fret level checked and done if necessary and then a setup. There’s too much opportunity of movement due to humidity and changes in the environment between the factory in Mexico and Germany for it to be spot on perfect without a setup.

I’ve been watching those Player Series Strats since they were announced. I had an American Standard and it seems the Classic Series would tick all of the boxes of it. The pickups in the Player are supposed to be great too.

On a related topic, I know of a fellow who has a new American Pro Strat and a new Player Series Strat. He says they are very close but that he actuallly prefers the Player Series over the American Pro. That’s how good they are.

Textele likes this.
  14. Textele

Textele Senior Stratmaster

I agree.

But I preferred the 2012 through 2016 American Standards over the Pros. Mainly the neck profile, frets, and the pickups. Not a fan of the pop-in trem arm system either.

They are both top shelf production instruments though. Just comes down to personnel preference.

15. Ebidis

Yeah, I own a 2014 Am STD, and it is (to me) one of the best Strats I have ever owned. Those later model Am STD's are IMO some of the best guitars Fender has made.

Textele and Silvercrow like this.
  16. Fireball519

Fireball519 Strat-Talker

Best guitar I've ever owned is my American Special.

17. mtsv

mtsv Strat-Talk Member

I am putting aside the fact that the existing series are pretty good, I would choose the Plussy era (between 87-97). The guitars made were of custom shop quality at that time, since Fender was after building the reputation again. But then you have a challenge to find a proper one, but if you can find one, I think these guitars give you a better impression of playing a Strat compared to the recent ones (this is only my opinion, no blaming or flaming please :)).

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  18. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

That’s an interesting position on the subject and a fair comment. Due to the introduction of CNC machines in the assembly line, I draw the conclusion that the quality is going to be much tighter and consistent on the new instruments but your point about looking at these gems from the earlier era is worth investigating if they’re around.

I’ve played some nice older MIM and MIJ but I had a 92 American Standard that I bought brand new and I just couldn’t make it work for me. Maybe I just picked a bad one. I kind of wish I could have it back today so I could figure out what I didn’t like about it. It could have just been me.

mtsv likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.