Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups ad space available Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Strat Dlx in series neck position: WTF?!

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by StratPlus97, Jan 11, 2017.

1. StratPlus97

StratPlus97 Strat-O-Master

Apr 7, 2016
    USA
    It sounds like a very small person playing in a tiny tin can.
    What's going on here?

Any suggested wiring?

[​IMG]

2. John C

John C Senior Stratmaster

Jul 17, 2012
    Kansas City
    Are you talking about with the S-1 switch on or with it off? Off it's supposed to be the normal neck pickup sound. On it should be quite loud because it's all 3 pickups on in series wiring.

I'm trying to remember how it sounded - I had a 2004 American Deluxe Strat back in 2004, but I mainly remember that I never really used the settings with the S-1 "on". I recall that neck setting as really obnoxiously muddy and loud (and the American Deluxe went out quickly, replaced with an EBMM Silhouette Special).

I wonder if you've got a neck pickup going bad, particularly if you're getting that tiny sound with the S-1 off.

3. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Senior Stratmaster

Jun 10, 2013
    Hillsboro, OR, USA
    What year is your Deluxe? I noticed Fender seemed to change the S-1 switching slightly between years, according to what I've seen online, and I had one for a little while. Mine was a 2013.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. StratPlus97

Apr 7, 2016
    USA
    As I mentioned- NECK POSITION IN SERIES (S-1 switch on)

It's a 2011 and I bought it NOS.
    I do understand how the S-1 works, I was just curious about other peoples wiring configuration experiences

Again, there is no noise level lost.

6. John C

Jul 17, 2012
    Kansas City
    I know you said neck position in series, but I wanted to make sure because description of a "a very small person playing in a tiny tin can" read to me like a description of volume loss from a pickup going out.

Since it's not the case then you need to check out the wiring for that position - it should be louder than any position with the S-1 off and actually bassy.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  7. StratPlus97

Apr 7, 2016
    USA
    Alrighty then. No attitude here at all...just answering your questions.

You are right, I am clueless.

Anyway, have a great day, and thank you!

8. John C

Jul 17, 2012
    Kansas City
    Sorry; pissy mood today. Good luck figuring it out.

9. Sonny

Sonny .. The smiles returning to the faces .. Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 9, 2009
    Ballerup Denmark
    I never use the S-1 system when I play my deluxe .. I actually never really surrendered to the pups, but the deluxe plays really well

10. StratPlus97

Apr 7, 2016
    USA
    I hear that. I feel that it sounds pretty good in a few of the positions...but your right. Your just better off not touching it.

A local Luthier here mentioned he has done a handful of writing configurations with it, so I'm going to give it a shot.

11. martin82

martin82 Strat-Talk Member

Jan 9, 2009
    New Jersey
    A single coil pup wired in series with another single coil pup should be louder and beefier than a single coil alone. What you describe sounds like an out of phase issue.