Strat H-H-H > 3 DPDT Toggles on(series)/off/on(parallel) > 1 Tone > 1 Vol

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by Merlyn, Sep 14, 2021.

1. Merlyn

Merlyn Strat-Talk Member

Hello...

I got myself a Stratocaster and I'm ready for some fun.
    My plan is to put three Humbuckers (Dual-Rails) in it...

I would like to change the original 5 way switch to 3 individual DPDT Mini Toggles
    on(series)/off/on(parallel)
    (This Way i could theoretically choose series and parallel AND also be able to use the N+B position aswell as the N+M+B Position...)

I would also like to get rid of the second Tone knob and use a single master tone knob...

okay.. so i have absolutely NO idea about electronics.. no idea at all... but up to now... i was able to combine two diagrams and solder some awesome stuff that actually worked...

but this one seems like absolutely not doable for me... i can't find any exisiting ones, that are remotely close...

I found these three things but i still don't get it...
    Anyone on here who know electronics to help me out here?? that would be so insane!
    What's bugging me the most is how i should wire the three individual toggles...

Okay.. this one is elimiating the second tone knob:

[​IMG]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Here we have the Series/Off/Parallel with a DPDT

[​IMG]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And this one shows an ON/ON SDPT solution with single coils... the closest i have found (i'd rather have on/off/on DPDT.. with humbuckers lol)

[​IMG]

Any help is appreciated!! I'm also happy about any hints... or when you have a better or easier solution.. let me know.

Thanks so much in advance!

Kind regards!

2. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Strat-O-Master

I have my Carvin Bolt kit wired up kind of like that except instead of serial/parallel I have regular/split. The mini-toggles are on/off/on. Unfortunately, I don't have a photo of the inside since it's been a while since I had it opened up. I think you can use the middle diagram for the mini toggle detail and the bottom one for the connections to the volume/tone.

20200620_125808.jpg

Merlyn likes this.
  3. systolsys

systolsys Strat-O-Master

That's the right approach. Effectively replace each Single throw switch with a double. The upstream (pickup side) wiring follows your first diagram. The downstream (knobs) follow the second.

You may want 500kOhm pots. See what the recommendations are for the pickup you're looking at. If you aren't sure, there are 330kOhms that are a compromise.

I will say that I found the parallel mode for humbucker coils less useful than having the ability to wire individual coils from separate humbuckers in series. ie: Create a split humbucker over distance. But YMMV.

One recommendation: Wire this up on a cheap chinese ebay guard first. It's pretty common when we start modding guitars to say "OMG... how cool would it be to have all 27 different pickup combinations on tap!". Then after a while you realise that there are only about 3 you use anyway, and the pain of finding those sounds means you end up wiring in a superswitch to get just the ones you need. So keep the original guard stock if you value it.

(Having said that, I've just ordered a TB-16 59/Custom hybrid, a cheap HSS guard, and a small pile of toggle switches...)

Merlyn likes this.
  4. StratUp

StratUp Senior Stratmaster

So you want to be able to put each humbucker into series / parallel AND then have standard Strat wiring to select which humbucker combination you have?

Merlyn likes this.
  5. Merlyn

Merlyn Strat-Talk Member

Tha KS for your answer!
    Looks beautiful :cool: Damn awesome.
    I thought aboutt the coil split option too... Maybe if I'm bored of seriea/parallel.. I will try? :D
    At the moment I'm actually still not quite sure what I want.

Thank you so much for your detailed answer!
    haha. Well. Yea 500k pots are planned.
    And actually I plan on trying this on a cheaper loaded Pickguard. I actually got the Stratocaster especially for modding and learning. As I thought this was gonna be the most flexible one..
    Easy peasy switcheroo of the existing working loaded Pickguard. That's quite exciting.
    An I sure Hope that after doing this.. I will have 3-4 positions I like best... That might be the next quest then.. Simplify again.
    When you say..
    "
    The upstream (pickup side) wiring follows your first diagram. The downstream (knobs) follow the second."
    I'm still a bit confused... I'm a very graphical person, when it comes to understanding this kinda thing... When I see i can backtrack and see why which cable is where it is... Up to now I soldered 1 guitar from the very beginning (gathered all single parts from eBay and online shops) and I upgraded the whole electrics (every single part) of another... These were the only times in my life I worked with wiring diagrams.. Aside from a primitive alarm system in high school
    thanks for your answer :)

well I think that's it :) Not quite though..
    Series and parallel for each humbucker
    Combined with 7 sound mod.. So I can use all three humbuckers at once.. And neck+bridge
    aside from the 5 regular positions...
    Plus the elimination of the second tone knob.. To have a single master tone knob...:p

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
  6. Merlyn

Merlyn Strat-Talk Member

7. ThreeChordWonder

ThreeChordWonder Senior Stratmaster

Use six sliders a la Brian May in an on/off series and phase thing, add three more and you can do coil splits too...

Merlyn likes this.
  8. StratUp

Your pickup switch wiring looks correct. Just make sure you have the RW/RP thing correct for those pickups so that you end up humbucking and in-phase (unless you want to vary the phase too, which would be more switches.

Also, since a Strat has three controls, might as well wire up a master bass contour control while you're doing this. May be particularly useful coming from the SSS world to the HHH world.

Merlyn likes this.
  9. Merlyn

Merlyn Strat-Talk Member

Thanks soooo much :)
    Oh gee.. Any hint on how I avoid that.. Because I have learned from the past, that If there is an error to make.. I Will make the error. No matter what. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I've been looking into that. I would love to do it... Thought is was overkill...
    You have a link with a good one, that I can try incorporating in my wiring diagram?

10. ThreeChordWonder

The bare / shields should NOT go to the switches at all but directly to ground on the back of one or more pots.

Merlyn likes this.
  11. Merlyn

Merlyn Strat-Talk Member

Thank you. Will do so.

12. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Use the Dan Armstrong Super Strat system of three toggle switches.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then add three more toggle switches that are 3-way on/on/on so you can control each pickup for series/single coil/parallel. The single coil can be either the north or south coil of the pair. Select which one is used in single coil mode to ensure noise cancellation in combination switching modes.

[​IMG]

13. ThreeChordWonder

And if you can remember all that..

Merlyn likes this.
  14. Merlyn

Merlyn Strat-Talk Member

Thank you for the IDEA!!
    Looks interesting.. But a bit confusing with all these variations.. I think my original plan is a bit more intuitive?

:p:D

I'm overwhelmed...:oops:
    I think I prefer the Variant I did..

But I'm a bit scared to eff up the in phase thingy.. .

Also the bass Control thing would be neat...
    I would need a 1m poti and a cap... (Will a 0,0012uF cap work?)
    But where would I need to put it in my wiring?

15. StratUp

Bass contour is in line - all the signal has to go "through" the bass control. It should be wired in after the tone control. So that would be just before the volume control output jack.

That the way the control actually works is that 1 meg is high resistance. That drives the signal through the cap, which filters out lots of bass. But as you turn resistance down on the 1 meg control, more unfiltered signal bypasses the cap. Turn it down to 0 resistance and all the signal will bypass the cap, resulting in no bass filtering at all.

The .0012 would be fine.

Here's a wiring example for the bass control integration. You can use the .0012. It will allow slightly more bass cut. If it's too much, you can back down to a .0015, or .0022, or .0033, etc.

upload_2021-9-15_21-19-50.png

Merlyn likes this.
  16. Merlyn

Merlyn Strat-Talk Member

Thanks so much!!!

I'm just updating my diagram...

17. Merlyn

Merlyn Strat-Talk Member

18. StratUp

Looks good. Just ground the shell of the bass control for shielding.

Also, I don't know what the physical control layout will be, but you don't have to attach all the grounds to the volume. Put some on the other controls to simplify the layout and soldering. Just make sure all the controls are connected with a ground too.

One option is to solder the pickup grounds to the cases of the switches ( sand the metal case, solder to it), connect those three with a bare wire, and run one wire to other controls. Or, if all to wires are to be shielded (not a bad idea), connect to the cases then run one shielded wire to the tone control instead three. As long as all the grounds connect and all shields are grounded, you are good.

Merlyn likes this.
  19. Merlyn

Merlyn Strat-Talk Member

@StratUp
    i will try work something out... may Bare shield and Pickup Ground contact each other? is it theoretically possible to run all 6 cables in a large shrinking hose to the back of the Volume?
    AND:
    I guess i know the answer to that but...
    It needs to be an 1M pot right? 500K is too little to make the bass cut, right?

20. ThreeChordWonder

Your pickups will probably come with multi-core cables surrounded in one shielded plastic sheath. The bare wire contacts the cable shielding all the way along the inside, so there's no need to separately ground the cable shielding.

Wire up the colored wires per the pickup manufacturer'color scheme. I think you've used SD colors and if you're using SD pickups that's fine, but be aware each manufacturer uses its own scheme (see below).

You can indeed ground the pickup bare wires to tabs on the switch parts of the push-pulls if you like, then ground the pot parts of each push pull to the others and to the output jack ground. The switch part of the casing and the pot part of the casing are mechanically, and therefore electrically, connected to each other. The important part is that the bare wires don't go through the switches.

Also remember your bridge and body shielding grounds.