Strat-like guitar, sitar sound on all frets, flatwounds.

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by BlueStrings, Mar 2, 2021.

1. BlueStrings

BlueStrings New Member!

Title is a bunch of keywords, sorry.

I got a Tagima TW61 that I love, but I decided to try flatwounds a while ago.
    While I'm loving these(D'addario Chromes at 0.10), my G string is now a sitar... Yes, it's wound in this set but the nut seems fine.

My research has said that since it's on all frets, it's not on the nut but on the bridge saddle.
    Cool, so now I need a proper tool, and a way to do the work withouth losing the strings(they're kinda hard to find and expensive here , the plan was to worry less about strings for a while)...
    Or find a tech, but my experiences haven't been very good.

What can I do?
    For now I am trying to be less heavy handed, it helps, and is a good habit I guess...
    But I'd rather have that be from free will, instead of from a tech problem!

2. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Sounds like fret buzz from too low of action.

New strings = new tension.
    Did you do a complete setup? Check nut slots, neck relief, saddle heights, intonation?

Are the strings hard to lift out of the nut slots?

Did you wind the strings 'down' on the posts to increase break angle to the nut?

Do you have saddle grub screws not touching and thus rattling with no pressure? Do you have saddles wobbling and hitting each other?

Most often, sitar sounds come from having a nut slot higher on the tuner side than the fret side of the nut.

3. StratUp

StratUp Strat-O-Master

Three options:

1) Some sandpaper, folded tight to a knife edge. Start with 1000 grit. Run it back and forth in the saddle to remove any irregularities. Go as low as 600. See where that gets you.

2) Buy some welding tip cleaning files. If you have a caliper, figure out which one is the size of your G string. If not, use your fingers as a caliper and choose the correct size. Use it lightly to smooth and/or open the slot. Then maybe follow up with the #1000.

3) Get some real bridge/nut files from a supplier and take a higher risk that you might mess up the saddle.

EDIT: I've fixed sitar sounds with both 1 & 2.

4. BlueStrings

BlueStrings New Member!

The action is quite high, soooo could it really be that?
    I don't have exact measures, but between 1,5 and 2mm on high E, and around 3mm on low E...
    Can't measure relief, but it is either flat or slightly curved(the intended setup right?), not back-bowed.

Also, technically my tuning is Perfect 4ths in D... so tension isn't as high as rated. I've considered going back to E in 4ths, if it would help...
    It was with 9s tuned to E in 4ths, then 10s in D, now 10s flatwound in D/4ths.

StratUp, how could I loosen the strings safely to do the work?