Strat Neck Angle

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by Fender Fool, Feb 15, 2019.

1. Fender Fool

Fender Fool Strat-Talker

I've done quite a bit of searching and can't find definitive answer on this.

Coming from the perspective of a the neck angle on an acoustic:

If you lay a straight-edge across the top of the frets to the bridge, the strait-edge should roughly touch the top of the bridge. Hence a pretty optimal neck angle, then you adjust your string height, action, with the height of the saddle.

Is there a way to do this with a strat, like lay the straight-edge across the neck to the bridge and there should be x amount of distance between the strait-edge and the bridge base-plate.

2. nutball73

nutball73 Senior Stratmaster

I'm fairy sure that Leo designed the guitar so that manufacturing tolerances could be taken up by bridge adjustment, so there is no specific measurement. If you can't adjust the action to suit because the neck angle is wrong and you either can't get the saddles under the strings or can't get the strings to rest on the saddles at maximum height, then use shims to adjust the neck angle.

Different guitars will have different saddle heights for the same action due to differences in the depth of the neck pocket or the thickness of the neck.

3. Jimgchord

Jimgchord Strat-O-Master

4. Tone Guru

Tone Guru Senior Stratmaster

The strings are the straightedge.

5. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music. Strat-Talk Supporter

Id hope the bridge is higher.

Not really sure this would be the best way to set up a strat.

I suppose you could set relief and action the traditional way, as described in Fender owners manual, and subsequently measure using your straight edge method but, Im not sure your method would really help in any way on a strat.

6. nadzab

nadzab Play Don't Worry Strat-Talk Supporter

Agree with this - I think the design calls for a zero neck angle, and I've rarely encountered a Fender that needed more than a very thin shim to correct any issues brought on by tolerance variation. If one does, it's probably due to an error milling the pocket or neck heel, which should be pretty rare, especially with today's CNC technology.

Of course, all bets are off when it comes to partscasters with non-Fender components (especially of the "bargain-basement" Asian variety).

7. minty strat

minty strat Strat-Talker

A straight edge laid across the center of the fretboard should just kiss the front of one of the middle two bridge saddles on the upward curve when the bridge saddle screws are turned just below the top of the saddle. That allows for proper string action for either a floating bridge or a decked bridge, and for adjustment of the saddle either a little higher or lower depending on relief after the strings are installed.

mKnFkuBDTNqxUHphTlUH0Q.jpg

Will Lefeurve likes this.
  8. Fender Fool

Fender Fool Strat-Talker

Thanks guys. Minty Strat - looks pretty close to how mine is.

I did have to make an adjustment to the neck with the micro-tilt.

My high and low e saddle were just about touching the bridge plate, there was no room to lower the action.

After the neck adjustment my high and low e saddles now have about 3/64ths clearance off the base plate

Low e roughly 5/64ths of the 12th fret , high e about 4/64ths, right where I like it!

9. LeonardMcCoy

LeonardMcCoy Strat-Talk Member

The neck angle of a Strat is fairly flat, almost straight as opposed to a Les Paul for instance.