Join Strat-Talk Today

Strat Neck Unfixable

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by zimbo, Oct 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member

it would be fun to send this guitar to three different established luthiers and see if any of them could actually repair the neck.

Stratoskater and Andrew Wasson like this.
  2. IBRocketman

IBRocketman New Member!

Hi sorry to see there are Google techs. I can fix your guitar as long as I can find the fix on Google. Those are not techs. Now I am not a particularly skilled luthier but it seems to me that if a couple of washers had been put on the truss rod under the nut and tightened it likely would have had the adjustment you needed.
    Just a thought.
    John H

3. IBRocketman

IBRocketman New Member!

If you worked on the guitar after the purchase you kind of own it. If you had taken the guitar to a real tech, not a Google tech I am pretty sure it was fixable. Wood is a very shapeable item using heat and pressure you can bend it in just about any direction. It sounds like you bought a guitar cheap thinking that you got a deal. Maybe it was a deal before you took it to the two guitar techs (who can only follow instructions). You need to have the ability to solve problems and sometimes you have to be creative in your solution. I wouldn't accept the guitar as a return either you had someone physically alter frets and if they didn't know what they were doing this is on you. A neck would have to be in pretty tough shape to not be fixable, frets are way different, once filled incorrectly. Sorry I think you own this.

Andrew Wasson and Amprehab like this.
  4. vid1900

Although the OP should not have had the frets worked on then returned the guitar, 99.9999% chance that even if the seller protests, Ebay will still issue the refund.

Ebay has no guitar experts working there. They get 200,000 returns to process daily. They don't care because they don't have to.

5. Mr Dunlop

Mr Dunlop Senior Stratmaster

I am going to disagree with you on this.
    I was in a similar situation and disputed a return my ebay account automatical accepted. Although ebay might not be guitar experts there are ways of disputing the return.

Any message sent through ebay with the buyer stating he had work done on the guitar is enough evidence for ebay to reverse the return. That is pretty much a done deal right there.

If no message is sent taking the guitar to a repair shop and getting a letter signed by the shop giving details to how the buyer altered the item is another way.

I have been selling on ebay for years and know the system pretty well. You have to know how to present your dispute with ebay and not just roll over and let the buyer stick it to you.

Triple Jim likes this.
  6. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Senior Stratmaster

Right! Of course it works both ways, and a clear exchange of eBay messages is key. I've had a couple sellers pull some real crap on me, and the trail of eBay messages saved me every time.

Mr Dunlop likes this.
  7. vid1900

It will be fun in a week or so to see who got ripped by Ebay; the seller or the buyer.

The OP should put a poll up.

8. Mr Dunlop

IMO If the seller gets ripped off it is because he does not know how to properly dispute the return.

9. vid1900

IMO if the seller gets ripped off, it's because he used Ebay.

CB91710 likes this.
  10. vid1900

Although if I was a betting man, the guitar is a dog that has been sold online probably 5 times already.

It's like when you go to the used car auction. You see the same car come back around week after week. Each new owner passing it off to the next sucker.

11. Mr Dunlop

I get it you don’t like ebay. If you are not knowledgeable or do not have a lot of experience using ebay you can run into problems.

12. Stratwrangler

Stratwrangler Strat-Talker

I've already given my views about this sale and post up above, but on the guitar side it looks like it was mostly in exceptional condition , my 2 cents is that yes it seems to have been for sale a few times, one can only assume perhaps that some one adjusting the truss rod early in this guitars life has disconnected it at the heel end or threaded it.
    As some one else said that's why they send the tool to adjust, but all it takes is an over zealous amateur to unscrew it completely or over tighten it and strip it, an amateur doesn't know to only do a quarter turn at a time perhaps and this is the end result. A proper luthier would have it sorted no problem , self proclaimed techs arrive us to where we are now with this poor guitar.

13. vid1900

I like ebay just fine. It says I've been a member since 1996 (I can't believe it's been that long, jeeze).

But with 1 Billion sales a day, sellers are scammed all the time.

And, every local scammer I know always puts their dogs on ebay, because they know they'd never be able to scrape them off on anyone in person.

So it goes both ways.

(anytime I see something really awful slide onto my bench, the story always starts with "OK, so I got a great deal on this from ebay...." )

14. Mr Dunlop

It all comes down to what I said earlier, If you are not knowledgeable or do not have a lot of experience using ebay you can run into problems.

Honestly I have seen way more scams and shady people with counterfeit guitars and stolen gear locally than I have encountered online. I have seen dogs with twisted necks, unmentioned breaks or repairs not advertised locally also. Craigslist is more like the place people try to dump their dogs IME

Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
  15. Dougeryb

Dougeryb Strat-O-Master

I have only had one semi-poor experience on the Bay. Bid on a stuffed animal, and no one else bid on. I did bid the minimum amount required. When I won, the seller told me they didnt have it any more.

I think, they didn't want to lose money on the sale and just lied.

I was pissed at the time, but I didn't lose anything other than a bid for cheap stuffed animal.

All other Bay transactions met or exceded my expectations.

Just do your due dilligence, particularly on more expensive items. (Seller ratings, ask lots of questions, research on item, etc..)

Mr Dunlop likes this.
  16. Amprehab

Amprehab Strat-Talk Member

Find an old real tech. I’ve fixed necks like that with gentle heat and time, it can straighten out, slowly, if you really want it to.

17. GunMonkeyINTL

GunMonkeyINTL Senior Stratmaster

Before anyone gets out the steam and the clamps, do we even know that there’s a problem with this neck?

The OP didn’t even provide measurements of the set up that was giving him problems, only that it was too high when not buzzy. It’s a 7 1/4 radius, and we have no idea what the OP thinks is too-high, or what level of attack shouldn’t buzz to him.

The only things we know is that his choice of techs appear to be of the variety that couldn’t deliver the guitar set to his expectations, and he accepted delivery... from two of them, and that he has no qualms about screwing over another person.

A couple people mentioned how this appears to be a dog of a guitar that keeps getting sold, over and over, but that doesn’t appear to be the case. There is one reverb listing that was open for two years, and the OP claims that the seller didn’t play it for 10 years, so it doesn’t look like it’s been sold more than once or twice (this sale included).

I’ve got no vested interest in this thing, but I suppose I’d like to see it in the hands of someone who actually know what they’re doing before anyone more files, pitchforks or fire get taken to it. It may be a nice guitar just waiting for someone with an attention span and a little know-how to get ahold of it.

18. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

THIS ^ ^ ^

Guy Named Sue likes this.
  19. StratPlus97

StratPlus97 Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

I can’t believe this thread is still going. It amazes me how involved people get into other peoples business. The OP could of made up all of this, or part of this...who knows. Either way, this is pretty entertaining for me, so please carry on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Amprehab

Amprehab Strat-Talk Member

Just for the record, not steam, if you clamp it straight in a warm/ hot garage for two days it’ll usually last. I fixed a precision bass lyte neck 20 years ago and it’s still perfect. A slow movement of the glue joint on a rosewood slab board is enough. Old Martin guitars use a system of fret tang width to control bow. It’s amazing how effective it is. Since the OP is invested in that neck, it’s a simple save.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.