Join Strat-Talk Today

Strat Neck Unfixable

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by zimbo, Oct 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

I’ve accepted that when someone posts a story, a situation or “their business” on a public forum, it is no longer their business and it can take on a life of its own.

I’m sure the OP has moved onto other things but I wish he had come here right from the get go so that he could have gotten advice on assessing the situation and fixing it before it went to the two shops that didn’t fix the problem. It looks like a really nice guitar.

rocknrollrich likes this.
  2. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Senior Stratmaster

I'm pretty sure the op will never post here again. He got the typical strat talk beatdown right out of the gate.
    One guy even wants to report him to ebay lol.
    ***** strat talk. Nice crowd.

Miotch, StratPlus97, Dougeryb and 2 others like this.
  3. StratPlus97

StratPlus97 Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

It’s wild. It’s online MOB mentality and I see it on here a lot. I would love to be the Ebay employee that got that phone call... that caller would get a verbal lynching of a lifetime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rocknrollrich likes this.
  4. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Senior Stratmaster

Strat talk.
    Saving the internet one guitar at a time.

Andrew Wasson and StratPlus97 like this.
  5. zimbo

zimbo Strat-Talker

Guitar returned and I got a full refund. Seller got the guitar back along with a very expensive USPS return shipping bill. I could have dumped the guitar back to him as soon as I pulled it out of the box but I decided to try and fix it on my dime to save him the return shipping. The techs, both full time professional luthiers missed whatever was wrong with the neck. Unfortunate.

As far as me owning the guitar after a file was put to it give me a break. This is a 23 yr old guitar that hasn't been played in 10 yrs. The owner is in his 60's and probably doesn't even play anymore. And now he has a guitar that he can't sell because the neck is fubar. Do you think someone is going to say wait, someone filled a fret, this perfect instrument has been ruined? BS. I'd be willing to bet that 99 out of 100 guitar players would not be able to tell by inspection that a fret was filed. And as far as the seller watching this thread or being on guitar forums let me explain again. The guitar was not played in 10 yrs and not played before shipping. Does that explain anything?

Bottom line, I lost money by trying to fix the guitar and the seller lost even more by having to pay the shipping costs and having the full selling price of the guitar taken away from him. Money he probably already spent.

If you're going to sell a guitar or amp online make sure it works before putting it in the box.

Flame on.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  6. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue I don't seem able to get it straight in my mind... Strat-Talk Supporter

There's two side to every story, we've only heard yours. And by what you've given us, I don't trust a word from you, honestly. I doubt it was in that bad of a shape that two pro guys couldn't fix it nor diagnose what's wrong with it.

You just screwed a 60 year old man and you're padding yourself on the shoulder.

Shame...

"The guitar was not played in 10 yrs and not played before shipping. Does that explain anything?"

Yeah, it explains that you bought it As Is! And after failed attempt at repairing you want your money back.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  7. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Most Honored Senior Member

Spot on Joel, all this post needs to be complete is a mic drop!

Guy Named Sue likes this.
  8. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

sasq5.gif

Guy Named Sue and Stratoskater like this.
  9. zimbo

zimbo Strat-Talker

Congrats. I knew the flamers would come out.

10. Stratoskater

Come out? We've been saying this stuff for 7 pages already. Bottom line is you had a "tech" put a file to the frets so you altered the condition of how you received it. I don't care how noble your intentions were or that you feel you gave him some "free" fret work, you returned the guitar to him in a different condition than you received it even if you and your "techs" think it was not fixable which I still don't believe is true. If I was the seller and had found this thread I would have rejected your returned and forwarded this thread to eBay.

Now in the end you may be right and the neck may be beyond repair but filing the frets makes it your guitar regardless of how old it is or how long it has not been played or the fact that you say he's a 60 year old who doesn't even play guitar.

11. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue I don't seem able to get it straight in my mind... Strat-Talk Supporter

And what does that make you? I would be hiding deep beneath surface of the earth if I were you out of shame, but instead you come back to tell us about how you got all your money back and left the seller with a guitar that you ruined and left him to deal with all the costs.

You even fail to paint yourself as a victim, you come off as a troll.:)

12. zimbo

zimbo Strat-Talker

I didn't return the guitar, the seller paid out the ying yang to have it sent back to him. And since he was unable to communicate to me or Ebay on the problems with his guitar he had it coming. And no I didn't own the guitar because I put a file to it. And no the seller can't sell it now, it's just a trophy in his cabinet. And no the seller doesn't watch guitar forums.

I could affix the repair bills to this thread for the flamers to scrutinize but you know what?
    I'll just let them flame on.

Stratwrangler likes this.
  13. Stratoskater

Oh I bet the guitar will be sold again. And as for your repair bills you are a moron for spending any money on it aside from having a setup done. Once that was attempted and failed you should have returned the guitar right then. But you decided to take it to another tech who then put a file to the frets, that's on you.

You say the guitar was not played for 10 years and the seller does not play then ask us what does that tell you? Well what did that tell you? That should have told you there easily could have been an issue and that the seller would have no way of diagnosing it since he doesn't play. Again once the first tech said it could not be set up properly then fine return it for a refund and no one would care.

14. Cerb

Cerb Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Sometimes a good flaming is justified...

Stratoskater and Guy Named Sue like this.
  15. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

Sometimes the truth does look like flaming, if you're on the receiving end of it.

16. cpk313

cpk313 Strat-Talk Member

It's always disappointing when an adult gleefully broadcasts his ignorance and lack of scruples

17. Stratoskater

I just notice something in that Reverb ad @Guy Named Sue linked, the headstock has two string trees. Every other pic of this model I find online shows 1.

Stratwrangler and Guy Named Sue like this.
  18. Guy Named Sue

Yeah the guitar was definitely somewhat modded, it sports a black nut and aged cream pickguard 3 ply which is not associated with this series.

Stratoskater likes this.
  19. LawFlow

LawFlow Strat-Talk Member

The OP comes back boasting about his behavior instead of quietly moving on in obscurity :thumbd:.

Guitarmageddon likes this.
  20. Miotch

Miotch Senior Stratmaster

Haven't looked at this thread since about Day One.

Wow.

No winners and a tough crowd.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.