Strat or Tele?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by drb1346, Sep 15, 2006.

1. drb1346

drb1346 New Member!

I am 60, retired, and want to play the "old" country, rock 'n roll and surf that I used to back then. What is your opinion (and why) of the model of Fender I should get?

It will be a MIM to start, as I have already purchased a Hot Rod Deluxe ( which was a no brainer). I have a cheap Washburn now and need to upgrade.

I also own a Fender Ensenada 10 accoustic, which is a terrific guitar which has gotten me interested in going back into electrics. Why doesn't Fender market their accoustics more?

Anyway thanks for your thoughts. It is much appreciated!

2. Durockrolly

Durockrolly Strat-Talk Member

Hey drb!!!

Welcome to the board. I am a Strat man myself. I play the blues and love the way it sounds with my Hot Rod DeVille. I know all them country folk love their Tele's. they do sound great. It will probably a tough decision for you, so good luck.

Fernando.

P.S. Are you the same guy I see on the Fender Talk and Blues Talk forums?

3. 62stratfan

62stratfan Strat-Talk Member

Hello drb,

Well, if I had to go MIM, I'd try to shoot for a Classic 60's model.

http://www.gguitars.com/images/fe_electrics/fe_60_strat_rw_lpb_1.jpg

There's a lot happening for $650 or so new. At that, these are well built, quality guitars and I wouldn't hesitate to shop for a nice used one. Then maybe you could save a bit and shop used for a Classic 50's Tele. You'd then have your bases covered very nicely. I think eventually you'll want one (at least!) of each. If I really couldn't afford two guitars, I'd still go with this model Stratocaster and try to "country-ize" my playing style to compensate. Many players do this very effectively. Though the Standard Stratocaster is less expensive, the Classic series will probably be a better value over the long run with higher quality hardware, pickups, etc. You may not feel the need to upgrade as much as with the Standard model.

Good Luck,
    62stratfan

4. geof

geof Strat-Talk Member

I"ve not played a mexican tele, but i do own a mexican strat that i cherish. if something were to happen to that guitar i'd be lost without itl

knowing the contentment of owning the mim strat I wouldnt hesitate purchasing a mexican tele, if i needed that tele sound

if you have ever been to carona california to the fender factory you will see all sort of people of color there, some of the earliest master builders for the fender custom,shop builders (master builders) are of hispanic decent.

enjoy

peace,
    jeff aka geof

5. 62stratfan

62stratfan Strat-Talk Member

Hello Everyone

You bet thoses MIM Teles are among the most highly regarded products in the Fender catalogue. They rock big time! Especially the Classic 50s and Classic Players Baja models. I'd prefer the Baja Tele over the American Tele in a minute. The Am Tele is a nice guitar, but the Baja is a great Telecaster, in my experience. Much more vintage feel.

http://namm.harmony-central.com/SNAMM06/Content/Fender/PR/Classic-Player-Series.html

If you haven't tried the Classic Players Strats and Teles please do so. You owe it to yourself, but be ready for a serious GAS attack.

Another terrific MIM Stratocaster is the Jimmie Vaughn model. Maybe not the best choice for Telecaster tone, but for blues and rock it's very tough to top.

Good Luck,
    62stratfan

6. geof

geof Strat-Talk Member

wow 62stratfan,

those players series look great. i'm especially impressed that the upgrades are not just "fluff"... it seems like all the new appointments are there to create a better playing strat or tele. Cool!

thanks for sharing that stuff with us. i know what i'm going to look to play next time i'm at a big fender dealer.

peace,
    geof

7. rowdy27

rowdy27 Strat-Talk Member

MIM Telecaster is the sweetest pickin' of 'em all!

8. rjhalsey

rjhalsey Strat-Talker Vendor Member

Go with a Strat with a humbucker in the bridge position for versitility!

Ralph

9. rowdy27

I recently bought the MIM Strat upgrade with 2 humbuckers & truly luv it!
    Humbuckers really grow on you & sound different to single coils, less twang but more thickness.

10. rowdy27

11. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Strat-Talk Member

It sounds like you may like this MIM Tele for the "old country" (Haggard, Waylon, Jimmy Bryant, etc.)

[​IMG]

Specs :

Body Alder
    Neck 1-Piece Maple, Modern “C” Shape,
    (Satin Polyurethane Finish)
    Fingerboard Maple, 9.5” Radius (241mm)
    No. of Frets 21 Medium Jumbo
    Pickups 2 Hot Standard Tele® Single-Coil Pickups (Neck & Bridge)
    Controls Master Volume, Master Tone
    Pickup Switching 3-Position Blade:
    Position 1. Bridge Pickup
    Position 2. Bridge and Neck Pickups
    Position 3. Neck Pickup
    Bridge Standard 6-Saddle String-Thru-Body Bridge
    Machine Heads Fender®/Ping® Standard Cast/Sealed Tuning Machines
    Hardware Chrome
    Pickguard 3-Ply White
    Scale Length 25.5” (648 mm)
    Width at Nut 1.650” (42 mm)