Join Strat-Talk Today

Strat People, How do you not bump the Pickup Selector?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Gridlock, Mar 25, 2020.

1. Gridlock

Gridlock Strat-Talker

I’ve been primarily a Les Paul player since I was a teenager and I’ve almost always used Les Pauls with my bands. I’ve never had a problem with accidentally switching pickups with my Les Pauls but a different story with a Stratocaster.

I’ve owned Strats for many years but primarily used them for at-home practice. I have been on a SRV bing lately and been playing my Strats almost every night. I primarily use the neck pickup on my two Strats. It seems that I can’t help but bump the pickup selector into the middle or bridge pickup positions accidentally throughout a song.

Is there an quick easy fix/trick without modding my guitars? Some quick (easily reversible) way to make the selector more stationary?

0C874998-ED0D-4093-8051-4F6004F877B3.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  2. The Strat Dude

The Strat Dude Sticker bushes and Posy rules! Strat-Talk Supporter

the more you practice with it the more used to it you will become, and then eventually you will love the control layout.

3. fezz parka

fezz parka Duke of Dilligaf Strat-Talk Supporter

You just don't hit it. Same for the volume knob.

Watch SRV play. Even with all of that flailing about...he hits it when he wants to. Same goes for everyone else. You get familiar with your shizz. Familiarity comes with practice. :)

4. AcrylicSuperman

AcrylicSuperman Strat-Talker

I tend to lay my pinky around my volume knob and keep my hand at the bridge. I tend not to flail my arm aggressively.

5. rgbedard

rgbedard non-compliant Strat-Talk Supporter

I have the same problem; happens less frequently as you get used to it. Thought I would never get used to the volume knob also, but hardly ever unintentionally adjust that anymore ...

abnormaltoy, Nate D, Gridlock and 3 others like this.
  6. Relaxing at Cam

Relaxing at Cam Strat-Talker

Depending on how you play, a Strat might not be for you. Playing near the bridge, for example, works on a Gibson, because the controls are below and behind it. If you play near the bridge on a Strat, running into the controls is more likely.

7. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Senior Stratmaster

Flip your switch around the other way ;)

felis, Bighump, jrbirdman and 5 others like this.
  8. knh555

knh555 Senior Stratmaster

I mostly fingerpick. The pickup selector is well out of the way. Try that ;-)

Seriously though, it just comes with practice and familiarity.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
  9. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Most Honored Senior Member

When I got my first Strat, back whenImwas a teenager in 1983, I used to hit the volume knob all the time. Well I got used to it, after a couple of months and it just doesn’t happen to me any more. And I never hit the selector switch.

10. Jason D

Jason D Senior Stratmaster

I just don’t hit it. Eventually you get the hang of it. I love where the switch is. I have a harder time when the switch on the bottom horn, actually. Just have to change your technique.

11. mikej89

mikej89 Senior Stratmaster

I've never had that issue but I'm a bit of a finesse player.

abnormaltoy, Gridlock and 3bolt79 like this.
  12. HighwayStar106

HighwayStar106 Strat-O-Master

I do that occasionally. Ironically, 'quality' switches like Oak Grigsby or CRL are worse in that respect because they're a lot smoother and quicker to use. The 20+ year old cheap one in my Legend is great because it takes so much force to move it, it generally stays put. :D

abnormaltoy and Gridlock like this.
  13. Agtronic

Agtronic Strat-Talker

I've never heard of this being an issue with Strats. I've been playing mine since 2001 and I have to say, I don't think it has happened a single time. And I do get physical with it at times. It seems that the switch is pretty far away from where I play. And I have done the whole raking across the entire front of the guitar pretty often, but my picking hand tends to go down in front of the switch, not inline with it. But I guess we all have a different playing style. As others have said, you might just need more time getting used to it.

abnormaltoy, Caddy, davidKOS and 2 others like this.
  14. Stratwrangler

Stratwrangler Senior Stratmaster

All down to technique and practice no big secret fix.

15. Syd Vega

Syd Vega Strat-Talker

When I got into Strats I was aware that many players complain about this. From the start I got used to pick slightly above the middle pickup (towards the neck) as the "base". Sounds much better than picking at the bridge usually, too.

Never had problems with the strat controls because of this, I think they are placed very well actually.

abnormaltoy and Mike Furlong like this.
  16. gretev

gretev Strat-Talker

Gotta say, I am surprised this is not a complaint one hears more often. I started out playing Les Pauls too and have since played many, many Strats and have always had the same problem. The pickup selector switch is right in the path of my strumming trajectory. I bump it with my hand very often.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  17. GuitLoop

GuitLoop Strat-Talker

The more you play your strat the less you will hit it. I used to hit the volume knob all the time. I never hit it now and don't even think about it anymore.

ivan H and abnormaltoy like this.
  18. Stormy Monday

Stormy Monday Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I use duct take to make sure the switch doesn't move....

abnormaltoy and Nate D like this.
  19. Lonn

Lonn Mod Admin Staff Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Admin Post
    Never been an issue for as as I pick and strum between the neck and middle pickups, nowhere near the knobs or switch. When I first started playing my instructor tried getting me to rest my palm on the bridge and that felt really awkward to me, not to mention I don't care for the sounds that picking and strumming that far back produces.

20. PCollen

PCollen Senior Stratmaster

Familiarity with the instrument, and practice.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.