Strat Pickup Buzz

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by slh2536, Jan 5, 2021.

1. slh2536

slh2536 New Member!

I have two American Strats with factory pickups. When I add a little distortion to my sound it makes a buzzing sound is it my pickups or the distortion. I'm looking for some distortion but clean sound. I can walk around and some of the buzzing goes away. Need some help cleaning up my sound. Thanks!

2. CapCrunch

CapCrunch Strat-Talker

Welcome to Stratworld! Buzzing is part of the joy of being a Strat player! Or, the scourge of sticking to tradition or beliefs that good tone can only be accompanied by same said buzz! Join whichever faction in this long standing war between traditional buzzers and "noiseless" Strat users! Have your wallet, credit card or other electronic payment method at hand, you will be showered with great advise soon! Like religious pamphlets, our advise will be "the" one that will take you to strat tone heaven while all others are fake!

3bolt79 and Wrighty like this.
  3. MrYeats

MrYeats Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

any high gain on the amp or distortion pedal will increase BUZZ, in my experience anyway. Does it buzz less on clean setting.

3bolt79 likes this.
  4. Fuzzpop

Fuzzpop Guitar in the Space Age! Platinum Supporting Member

Tough to diagnose without hearing it. Could be anything from the amp to the pedals in your chain to the typical 60 cycle hum of single coils. And most gain/boost/OD will introduce some kind of noise.

However, this...
    ...leads me to believe that you're sitting/standing facing the amp while playing. Turn away from it an the buzzing/hum will likely reduce. This happens when I'm in my studio dialing an amp in since I have to sit right in front of it while playing. Goes away when I turn back to the desk.

HazyPurple and 3bolt79 like this.
  5. slh2536

slh2536 New Member!

Yes, buzzes less on cleaner tones. Also buzzes less on 2 & 4 on my 5 way switch.

3bolt79 and MrYeats like this.
  6. MrYeats

MrYeats Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

2 & 4 are hum cancelling positions as you are connecting 2 coils together to make like a humbucker. The pickups must be RWRP for this to work. Most already are.

3bolt79 likes this.
  7. SILENCER

SILENCER Strat-Talker

Welcome to single coils

Lovnmesomestrat likes this.
  8. slh2536

slh2536 New Member!

Does shielding really work?

9. HazyPurple

HazyPurple Without stress... my life would be empty Silver Member

That's another topic for debate.

I would say some, but is it worth the effort?

Controlling feedback from a Strat' played at high gain, is a true art.

10. Bob Spumoni

Bob Spumoni Senior Stratmaster

Shielding helps, but it isn't a sure-fire cure-all. I have a feeling people sometimes inadvertently create ground loops when they shield, grounding both ends of braided shield, say, or double grounding via grounded pot cases and grounding jumpers, that sort of thing. That said, even if you do it just so, it ain't perfect. Maybe if you put those little cans around everything, but life is short.

As for the pickups, I'm inclined to think you can either have "noiseless" pickups or you can have the Strat sound in all it's complexity, but you can't have both. So here I sit, contentedly buzzing away.

11. Torvald

Torvald Strat-O-Master

I found that shielding helped quite a lot. Especially in the case of one strat with 57/62 pickups, so no RWRP. Also important to me is that by grounding the shielding on the back of the pickguard you can eliminate the static crackle that is so common.

12. The_Whale

The_Whale Strat-Talker Silver Member

Search this forum for answers.

13. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Most Honored Senior Member

many of the pickups are made with no insulation between the windings and the magnets.. the cumulative pressure resulting from the many turns can cause the Formvar, or other coating on the wire, to break down, allowing continuity between the circuit and the magnets... if you touch the magnets and hear an increased noise, i.e. buzz.. that's the issue..While the pups can and most often do function properly.. they are just plain more noisy than usual.

You can check this by using a VOM (Multimeter) on a mid range Ohms setting.. then touch the hot lead and a magnet... you may also want to check the neutral lead too.. if the internal fault happens closer to the "start" of the windings the neutral lead will show more continuity than the Hot lead, and conversely if the fault is closer to the finish.. which is unusual since the finish turns occur on the outside of the coil. But ya never know because some guys have some strange imaginations when it comes to winding these things.

r

Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
  14. 66musicmaster

66musicmaster Senior Stratmaster

One of mine seems to have more buzz than I feel is correct. I'm going to do some checks, but may be asking more about it soon and looking for answers. Of course it could be something I did soldering. So not faulting anyone or anything yet. This thread just came up at a good time for me.

15. Fenderbaum

Fenderbaum Strat-O-Master

Shielding is recommended only to prevent outside noise to enter the pups. But will not kill the 60 hrz internal noise.

OD and fuzz usually generates hum and noise. Some more than others.

I recommend a very good signal cable if you use those cheap ones.

16. Hydr0

Hydr0 Senior Stratmaster

If it really bothers you and some of the suggestions here don't work for you, you could always switch to noiseless pickups, but read about the pros and cons about them first. Good Luck.