Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

strat pickups - need advice, too many to choose!

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by mark151, Apr 5, 2009.

1. mark151

mark151 Strat-Talk Member

Apr 5, 2009
    Manchester
    Hi guys, i'm new on here. Basically i am after some good advice on pickups for my strat. I'm after replacing my pickups with something a lot better. So far i have looked at the following:

Custom '69 Strat® Pickups
    Custom Shop Fat '50s Pickups
    SCN Strat® Pickups noislesspickups
    Hot "Noiseless" Strat® Pickups
    Vintage "Noiseless" Strat® Pickups
    Original '57/'62 Strat® Pickups
    Lindy Fralin -Vintage Hot
    Lindy Fralin- Blues Special

There are so many to choose from that i am getting really overwhelmed by choice. I want my guitar to sound warm, and vintage but i mostly play rock music. I think i need a good all rounder that can sound vintage but also kick out some heavy rock when needed.

Does anyone have any recommendations from my list above? Any help is really appreciated before i take the plunge (very soon) and buy.

Thank you :D

2. birv2

birv2 Strat-Talk Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Lancaster, PA

3. mark151

Apr 5, 2009
    Manchester
    Hi yes i saw the link in another thread. They all sound pretty nice to be honest. Have you heard the Samarium Cobalt pickups that fender do? I wonder how those are.

Jesus i can't make my mind up which i like. Would you say the Lindy Fralins are better quality? They seem to be quite a bit more.

4. daniboy79

daniboy79 Strat-O-Master

Feb 26, 2009
    Trinidad, West Indies
    I've had great luck with the Tonerider Pure Vintage TRS1's
    Stratocaster Pickups - Tonerider

and they sound great for heavy distortion too, excellent definition! and best part is their price, $105 deliverd to NY!

5. nightcaster

nightcaster Strat-Talker

May 23, 2008
    NEPA
    You might want to check out Chris Klein- I don't have my Vintage 63's yet, but I'm expecting to be very happy. I'll post some soundfiles once I've got 'em.

6. johnreardon

johnreardon Senior Stratmaster

Sep 18, 2006
    Brackley, Great Britain

7. mark151

Apr 5, 2009
    Manchester
    Anyone tried the Dimarzio Area 58 and 61 pickups?

8. mark151

Apr 5, 2009
    Manchester
    Hey, thanks for the link. I haven't heard of them. Are their pickups fairly well regarded?

I'm not sure which model of squire it is, it doesn't say anything on it. For me it's a bit of a tester before i buy a more expensive strat. I'm after experimenting with parts, pickups and capacitors for the tone.

9. thaus

thaus Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 6, 2007
    London Canada
    From your list, I would recommend the Fralin Vintage Hots. They will give you what you are looking for as far as tone and quality is tops. I also recommend the Fralin SP43's, vintage strat tone but the bridge is hotter and can go into P-90 territory. Excellent set of pups. My favourites though for the strat are DeTemple SweetSpots. I got lucky last year and found a used set and they are without a doubt the best sounding Strat pups that I have heard. They are expensive though.............

10. Extra crispy

Extra crispy Senior Stratmaster

Mar 18, 2009
    Oregon USA
    I have 8 Strats right now. 1 with CS 69s (sounds great) 1 with CS 54s (sounds great), 1 with CS TX Spcls (sounds great), BUT, The one with Fralin Blues Specials, is a "SUPER STRAT" Tone quality is head and shoulders above the rest. That of course is only my humble opinion. You can hear these PUs on my 89 AMSTD here.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=606123&songID=7381273

Cheers
    EC

Last edited: Apr 5, 2009

11. hendrixfan

hendrixfan Senior Stratmaster

Jan 17, 2009
    England
    i would reccomend the cs69,s i just love their tone,

12. johnreardon

johnreardon Senior Stratmaster

Sep 18, 2006
    Brackley, Great Britain
    Yes, they are extremely well regarded, more so than those on your list in may people's opinions, however, I'm not sure if it would be worth putting them in a Squier. They are expensive, and to be honest, if I were you, I would just go for a more expensive Strat in the first place.

Best way to choose is to play guitars with pickups in them. It can be a bit hit and miss choosing pickups. You could like them in your Squier and not in the next Strat you buy.

13. sevycat

sevycat Custom Shop Cat Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 8, 2008
    Newark, DE
    Hi, I am not even going to try and tell you what pickup to get. I would like to say that a vitamin Q .47 cap works well. It's sort of middle of the road. Meaning, it's not too dark or bright sounding. So far, I am happy with the pickups, caps, and 5 way switch I installed.

I really would not spend too much on what you call a tester. IMHO, just try different tone caps. They are fairly cheap, and a good way for you to gets some hands experience of what caps have to offer.

14. thaus

thaus Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 6, 2007
    London Canada
    Detemples are king in my book but anything Fralin is a close second!

15. Lowdown

Lowdown Strat-Talker

Jan 25, 2009
    Sydney,Australia
    I can personally give a thumbs up for these too. Great pups and great price.
    Though if you really want to lean towards the heavier side I'd try also try the "City Limits".
    And welcome aboard ;)

16. jkemmery

jkemmery Strat-Talker

Apr 2, 2009
    Missouri U.S.A.
    I am using those in the mid and neck, along with a Virtual Vintage Solo in the bridge of one of my 2 personal guitars. For a noiseless pickup, they sound pretty good, I haven't heard Kinmans, but I have heard the Areas compared to them .... but, the difference in tone between that guitar and my guitar equipped with Kliens is like night and day. The Kliens are so much more full ... the DiMarzios sound sterile and lifeless in comparison. I think they compare fairly well to most, if not all stock Fender pups, and blow the Fender Noiseless out of the water ... if you HAVE to have noiseless, the DiMarzios are about the best around, again, I have not heard Kinmans ... but as far as true vintage tone ... they really aren't there.

17. birv2

birv2 Strat-Talk Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    also take a look at Rumpel pickups at Custom Handwound Pickups. He's on the FDP and many there swear by his pickups. A really great guy and will work with you. And not expensive.

18. tazzboy

tazzboy Strat-Talker

Jul 13, 2006
    Oregon
    I'll second that. Get some match CTS Pots and orange drop .047 caps and you'll hear what Me and Hendrixfan are talking about.

19. orcslayer

orcslayer Senior Stratmaster

Dec 8, 2008
    Ajax, Canada
    I have two sets of Kinmans; they're noiseless & very close to vintage sc sound. I like the Blues Set best.

20. kurdt

kurdt Banned

Feb 13, 2009
    Oklahoma
    I have a set of texas specials and they are a hell-of-a-lot better than any other single coil i've played. Much fuller, less trebley sound