Strat purchase... Lots has changed

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by ryguy76, Apr 19, 2020.

1. ryguy76

ryguy76 Strat-Talk Member

I am getting back into playing more lately now that my kids are growing up. I'm interested in adding another Fender to my arsenal but haven't nailed down a model yet. I do have my eyes on a few though.

I own a 2012 American Standard Strat and a 2012 American Standard Tele and like both of those very much.

Prices have gone up significantly since those purchases in 2012 and further compounded by our Canadian dollar which was close to par in 2012 and now far from that.

I understand that the American Professional Series is the line that's closest to the American Standard Series of yester-year, and costs about $800CAD more than I believe I paid. I think that will be out of budget for me, most likely. So if I want to go American, I'm left with the Performer series.

In all honesty, the specs on the Performer series is quite desirable for me and I'm interested in the HSS configuration. The Grease-Bucket tone control and the Push-Pull Pot are appealing features to me.

The big question is... Will I likely notice a decrease in quality of the 2020 Performer Series over my 2012 Standard Series considering it's still a ~$400 increase in price?

I'm also eyeing up the MIM Vintera series, specifically the 60's model, but not sure I'd be happy with a 7.5" radius neck.

Thoughts and comments most welcome! TIA.

fos1 likes this.
  2. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

There are some important feature differences between the Performer and Professional.
    Performer lacks the micro-tilt neck adjustment, the Bi-Flex truss rod, and a hard case.

Once you factor in the value of the case ($160US), you are starting to get closer to the cost of the Professional.
    OTOH, the jumbo frets on the Performer are VERY nice. I have a '17 American Special (same guitar except for the pickups) and it has one of my favorite necks in my collection.

From a quality perspective? I don't think you are going to see a difference. Both are made on the same production line by the same hands in Corona CA.

Namelyguitar and Stratafied like this.
  3. ryguy76

While I used to gig, those days are gone. Perhaps in the future I may begin playing with people again but for now, I'm pretty much playing in my house for my own satisfaction. A case is nice, but I have a Tele and Strat case already that could be used if I were to take it anywhere. I have my guitars hung where I can easily grab them so cases end up just taking up space mostly. That part isn't a deal breaker.

I'm not much of a tinkerer on my guitars. I'll set saddle height, adjust relief, intonate and am generally happy with those being optimized within my abilities. Where/when would the added benefit of having micro-tilt and bi-flex truss rods come into play?

CB91710 and fos1 like this.
  4. stevierayfan91

stevierayfan91 DEEPLY SHY.

Hi, @ryguy76
    I would say the bi-flex truss rod on the Am. Professional is very useful for really humid area.

5. crawdaddy

crawdaddy Most Honored Senior Member

If you were me.....you are so lucky that you aren't:):)....I would see if you can try out the Player Series.....I like to call this model from Mexico the American Lite....pretty similar to what you have now (22 frets, alnico P/U's, 9.5 radius, etc) for less money....

best of luck on your decision....

Stratafied and Blue Beagle like this.
  6. ryguy76

Yes, that's what I was thinking. Humidity isn't a huge concern for me in my neck of the woods.

Unidirectional truss rods on my other guitars seem to have been all that's required.

As for the micro-tilt, I would hope that the factory setup would be decent enough to not require saddle height/neck angle adjustments straight away (factory shimmed if required), but maybe that's wishful thinking?

7. ryguy76

Oh, I've been researching them too, lol. Was hoping someone actually chimed in about them, in fact.

How do they compare to the older MIM standard strats in the past? From the audio samples I've heard, the pups seem a bit more shrill sounding to my ear, but that could be solved easy enough.

8. stevierayfan91

stevierayfan91 DEEPLY SHY.

Hi, @ryguy76

I would say if the setup feels comfy to you on the new guitar, its probably ok to not tweak for awhile :)

nadzab likes this.
  9. metallica86

metallica86 Strat-Talk Member

I’m in Toronto and did own Player series, for the money (especially used), you can’t beat the price.
    Their neck profile along with new 22 frets are very nice, the whole body and electronics pups pots etc.. are very well made.
    I remember back in 2011 I bought my new American Std strat from L&M only for 990$... can’t believe new guitar price fro Fender and Gibson nowadays...

ryguy76 likes this.
  10. crawdaddy

crawdaddy Most Honored Senior Member

To me, they are very similar to the American series guitars....minus the bi-flex truss rod and the newer Americans have different p/u's now...

Are they an improvement over the older MIM standards....I would say yes, just due to the 2 point trem, the alnico's, the 22 frets...not that was really anything wrong with the older standards...

I even like the feel of the Pao Farro board...

20190430_161107.jpg

ryguy76 and 3bolt79 like this.
  11. jtoomuch

jtoomuch Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Double post, sorry

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
    Stratafied likes this.
  12. Michael919

Michael919 Most Honored Senior Member

Yes, a lot has changed with pricing, especially up here.

The HSS Performer would be a nice companion to your MIA Standard. The humbucker in the bridge (with coil splitting) will give you some different sound character.

The jumbo frets would also offer you a alternative, different feel.

Quality will be similar to your Standard, but the bridge is a slightly inferior 6 point versus your two point.

I’d go for it or look at the Roadhouse Deluxe which has a lot of great features for the money.

13. Neon Trotsky

Neon Trotsky New Member!

I have an Am Performer tele, the one with the splittable neck Humbucker. It’s a damn good guitar even compared to my CS Fenders. With the jumbo frets and satin finished neck it plays FAST.

Neck is on the skinny side though for a Fender, definitely more of a modern carve, C shape, very little taper. I like the Yosemite pickups too and Greasebucket wiring. No need to ‘upgrade’ any of that imo. All the hardware’s solid too. It really is a player’s guitar imo.

I saw an Am. Performer strat on Reverb about two months ago listed for $250 and instead of just buying it, like an idiot I contacted the seller to ask him if something was drastically wrong with it for that price... he wrote back that someone on the store’s staff had accidentally listed it the wrong price and thanked me for showing him the oversight. DOH!!!

ryguy76 and jtoomuch like this.
  14. jtoomuch

jtoomuch Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

I am not sure I consider the 2 point system an improvement.I am thinking that is more a matter of personal preference.And in any case, I have an American performer and I could not be happier with it. To me, the Yosemite pups are great, I prefer them to the American Standard pups. Quality is what I expect from an American Fender.

Stratafied and ryguy76 like this.
  15. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Dr. Stratster

I had a Professional, and I can tell you that the performer’s pickups sound better to me and play nice with other guitars. You won’t have to re EQ your amp as you will for the professional, because of the V mods. The fact that I had to re EQ the amp just for that one guitar, was the main reason that I got rid of the Professional, that and I hated the tall skinny frets on the Pro.

Stratafied, nadzab and jtoomuch like this.
  16. ChukkerNation

ChukkerNation Senior Stratmaster

I might be missing something. It has been a long day. If you have a 2012 Am Standard, I wouldn’t think you need to upgrade to a newer model.

Andrew Wasson and RevBillyG like this.
  17. RevBillyG

RevBillyG Strat-Talker

So what are you doing for amplification?

18. ryguy76

Good to know! Definitely will add to the shortlist.

Yep, I agree. I'd be looking for something that's provides me something I don't already have and I wouldn't choose an HSS config as my only Strat, but it would make a nice addition.

Your testimonial is what I was hoping to hear about the Performer Series. Thanks for chiming in.

Too bad about the missed opportunity. My guess is they never would have honoured that price anyway. Would have found some way to weasel out of that mistake.

Good to hear about the Yosemite pups. I have no issues with the Fat 50's in my MIA Std, but haven't had much opportunity to compare them to other pups with the same amp/settings.

This is a good point and one I'm glad you mentioned. I don't love having to re-EQ my amps for different guitars.

Definitely not looking to upgrade what I have... just add another paintbrush, lol. Do I need another one? No. Do I want another one? Absolutely. I actually have two playing areas. Bedroom and Living Room. I'd like to have a Strat in both rooms.

I have 3 amps. A 90's Hot Rod Deluxe, a Yamaha THR10C and a Vox MV50 Clean head and BC108 cab. The Vox and Yamaha get used most.

19. ryguy76

Now, for sake of conversation, if you had a gun to my head forcing me to make a decision tonight without getting my hands on the various models on the shortlist, it would be this... No doubt.

Attached Files:

20. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

My 2017....

2017_AmSpec.jpg