Strat recomendations

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by welch621, Jan 2, 2021.

1. welch621

welch621 Strat-Talk Member

So I have been looking to pick up a new strat, I have an American Pro Tele but would really like a strat as I currently dont own one. Any recommendations? I have been looking at the clapton strat as well as all other models. My concern is the clapton model is a few years old, how does that compare to say an american ultra since they are both in the same price range?

Stratafied likes this.
  2. jmontgomery

jmontgomery Strat-Talker

If you like the Am Pro Tele, maybe you should consider an Am Pro Strat.

Ebidis and StummerJoe like this.
  3. slowesthand

slowesthand Senior Stratmaster

The Clapton is a great guitar, it doesn't give anything up to the Ultra or any other guitar in it's price range.
    That being said the one downside to the Clapton is that the mid-boost is never fully off. What this means is any settings you are used to on your amps that you like for your Telecaster will probably not translate well to the Clapton.
    It is not an easy guitar to switch between it and other guitars.

4. systolsys

systolsys Strat-Talker

What do you want from the Strat? There are many many variations on the theme. There are no "bad" Fenders in the current line-up.. but there are some that are more suitable for some purposes than others. And given your budget, you are going to have a lot to choose from.

5. Antstrat

Antstrat Most Honored Senior Member

Only way to really find the one you want is to hit some stores and try a bunch out. Specs and details online are fine and dandy but holding a Strat in your hands will tell you how it feels with 100% accuracy. Plugging it into an amp will tell you how it sounds. Your ears are the best judgement over charts n graphs.

And you’ll have a good time:thumb:

Of course this just my opinion.

Jasco likes this.
  6. PaulHikeS2

PaulHikeS2 Strat-Talk Member

I was just playing an Am Pro II in roasted pine at a local shop. Beautiful guitar with the black pickguard, and under 7 lbs. Sounded great through a Princeton. If I was going to have one Strat, that would be the one.

7. Rbert0005

Rbert0005 Strat-Talk Member

I just picked up an Elite. This has to be the smoothest and must comfortable Strat I have ever picked up.

The neck is to die for, and the pickups are great.

Bob