Strat Repair / Should I keep

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by riocoolnes, Jan 10, 2021.

1. riocoolnes

riocoolnes Strat-Talk Member

Hi so I've been waiting to update on my quest for a strat. About a month ago i bought a beautiful 2008 American Standard with locking tuners/case for 1k. It looks exactly like the Websites logo maple neck and all.

Now Unfortunately because of Covid i was not able to try out any guitars but GC was offering full money back till Jan 31st. So i did as much research as one can do from the computer and bought one. I'm also not much of a gear guy so didn't have alot to compare it to.

It played decent , i felt it needed a set up given that it had 1-2 dead notes on the high e string. I brought it to a local guitar shop i trusted. And the tech told me it needed a Refret which made sense given the frets did look worn. 350 bucks but i felt that still the guitar was still worth keeping instead of returning so i paid for the refret. After the refret, the areas where there were dead notes are better but they still aren't as clear as my PRS. Also the frets are dirty (I've had it back for 5 days and have sweaty hands) not sure if that can make them dirty in that amount of time.

Another major concern is and im not sure how normal this is. But when i bend on B or G between 10-14 i feel alot of friction of the string grinding up against the neck, Not sure if this is normal. Also i've included some pictures. It looks like to me it has fret sprout . I'll let you guys decide if this is normal for a strat from the pics i include.

Are these things normal and that's just how strats are? At this Point an American Professional strat at GC is 1449. I'm not sure how great these are but they would be new . Not sure how they compare to the Axe i currently have.

Attached Files:

Scott Baxendale likes this.
  2. fos1

fos1 Strat-O-Master Silver Member

Is that rust on the strings?

3. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

Honestly, it sounds like the guy that did the refret did not do a good job recrowing and polishing.
    A neck fresh from a refret should play smooth as butter without any scratchiness.

$350 for the refret is a fair price, $400+ is not uncommon, but another $150 could have bought a replacement neck from Fender.

4. s5tuart

s5tuart Perfecting time travel since 2525

Agreed. Frets shouldn't feel scratchy after a refret. Take it back to the guy and explain the frets are rough and get him to crown and polish them

5. Michael919

Michael919 Senior Stratmaster

Your strings look really dirty. You may want to wash your hands before playing and give the strings a wipe after each time you play. It's takes seconds and your strings will last a lot longer.

If you aren't happy with the job, bring it back to get it fixed. You could also just polish the frets yourself.

6. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Most Honored Senior Member

Really... guys need to wash their hands after replacing a tranny in a '52 F 100 they're restoring.... dirty strings make a guitar, AnY guitar sound like cack... then, beyond that... who ever refretted for 350 and did not (he didn't) level, crown and polish your frets needs to be exposed, and you should find a new tech..

r

rafasounds, JJ119, CB91710 and 5 others like this.
  7. Mr Dunlop

Mr Dunlop Senior Stratmaster

Ask your tech to fix the frets again
    Guitar should play smooth after a refret.
    Did you play the guitar in the repair shop before leaving?

JJ119 and riocoolnes like this.
  8. rockon1

rockon1 Senior Stratmaster

edit- response deleted with new op info added....

"I was just polishing the frets myself, i hadn't wiped off the strings before i took the photo."

Im assuming the string crud is polishing crud...

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
    JJ119 and Believer7713 like this.
  9. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

Maybe a trick of the light, but it looks like there are flat spots on the frets. I question whether frets were replaced, it looks like they've been filed down, and no crown or polish. If that's the case, the job you paid for has not been done.

Also those are some of the crustiest strings I've ever seen. Are these the same ones that were on the guitar before you had work done? I don't imagine any good tech would put old strings back on, unless you specifically asked him to.

I'm thinking your tech is ripping you off.

10. The_Whale

The_Whale Strat-Talker Silver Member

Is there is reason why you didn't ask this forum for advice about the frets?

What is the name of the local shop you trusted?

valvestate, drp146 and JJ119 like this.
  11. riocoolnes

I was just polishing the frets myself, i hadn't wiped off the strings before i took the photo. I'm going to call the tech tomorrow to get more info on exactly what he did.

Before getting it fixed the guitar played alright. Just some dead notes on the High e string, and i felt the guitar didn't ring as much as it should. The dead notes are KINDA gone (not fully) and i feel it should ring more when you hit let say open notes.

How fast can frets get dirty? also does that look like fret sprout? What about the friction against the board on the b string and gstring

Should i just return it and get a professional series the new one?

12. The_Whale

I'm thinking this refret never happened....

drp146, JJ119, CB91710 and 1 other person like this.
  13. Michael919

Michael919 Senior Stratmaster

Regarding your comparison to your PRS:

Your PRS likely has a shorter scale length (25 versus 25.5) and a fixed bridge, as well as other possible differences in construction.

They will not "ring out" the same. It's not quite apples to oranges, but maybe red apples to green apples....

JJ119 and riocoolnes like this.
  14. riocoolnes

Unfortunately I'm to big of a noob when it comes to gear. i've been playing the same guitar for 10 years now and haven't tried any out basically in the mean time . PRS SE santana , work
    All i can testify to is that the frets don't look dinged anymore. before refret there were some frets that def looked worn. Not horrendous but not great either.

15. The_Whale

replace the strings and post a photo.

16. Colnago1

Colnago1 Strat-Talker

Even though GC is what it is, I don’t think it’s fair to return a guitar that you’ve had work done on. Even if it improved the guitar, it isn’t in the condition that it was when purchased.

hecubus, CB91710 and rocknrollrich like this.
  17. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Most Honored Senior Member

I gotta say, after doing a few thousand fret boards... that one just does NOT appear to have been worked on... leveling, crowning and polishing leaves a specific look... a look no where to be found in those photos..

and throw those strings away.... Now...

r

jtoomuch, drp146, ashtone and 7 others like this.
  18. Biddlin

Biddlin Senior Stratmaster

Clean your fret board (and the rest of the guitar), change your strings and get back to us.

jtoomuch likes this.
  19. Audiowonderland

Audiowonderland Strat-Talker

I have to agree. That doesn't look like it was touched.

valvestate and drp146 like this.
  20. The_Whale

What is the name of the shop?

drp146 likes this.