Strat Repair / Should I keep

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by riocoolnes, Jan 10, 2021.

1. bikehomero

bikehomero Strat-Talker

Ya, could you deliver focused fotos? And some from the side so we can see if there is fred sprout. How does it feel?

Fuzzfinger and riocoolnes like this.
  2. riocoolnes

riocoolnes Strat-Talk Member

Yes locking tuners and case 1k That was including taxes. They have many of them on their website that you can get for even a little cheaper. obviously though it need some fret work!

3. Dibbs

Dibbs Strat-O-Master

Yeah, dude, explain THAT, to my GC "MIA" parts-caster...

4. riocoolnes

All the Parts or Stock. Pickups ect. Just had fret wear.

5. Michael919

Michael919 Senior Stratmaster

If you switched to 10's, you will likely need to bring it to a tech (different one?) for a setup, or, since you seem keen to learn, do a bunch of research and do your own.

3bolt79, drp146 and riocoolnes like this.
  6. riocoolnes

Guitar def feels better (how much better though is question) easier to play for sure. Bending problem has gotten better sounding . The problem i mentioned with friction let us say is now Equal to the PRS now so that is good! So that improved.

i would say as it stands right Now (still early because changes were made 2hrs ago) The guitar is very playable, even before the fret job and after it was playable but now it is def better. ! Thing is i don't have much reference to go on lol! My next issue is trying to get the sound i want!

I have been playing an electric guitar unplugged for almost 4yrs straight lol I have no idea how to get the tones i want but i'm learning! i will post more pictures that were asked for in 25 min! thank you

7. riocoolnes

Please Lord NO!!!! LOL! NO MORE! SO far it plays great without one i pray that you are wrong!!!!!!!! If i have to do anything more I will try and get a new one lol.

8. StratoMutt

StratoMutt Senior Stratmaster

Oof... those strings! What's with the crud?

upload_2021-1-10_19-32-21.png

rafasounds likes this.
  9. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

God doesn't hate you.
    OPs was used and 12 years old.
    If anything, he overpaid, and certainly after spending $350 on whatever his "tech" did.

valvestate, 3bolt79, Ebidis and 3 others like this.
  10. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

These are not new frets. They have visible divots under your high e. You have been cheated.

Your tech may have done some fret leveling. Almost certainly did

Last time I paid someone for fret leveling, it came with crown and polish, and a new set of strings, for $100.

I'd be calling the tech and demanding they do the job you paid for, or refund your money. If that's not fruitful the next steps include posting negative reviews everywhere, calling the BBB and the district attorney. Fraud is a crime.

3bolt79, drp146, JJ119 and 2 others like this.
  11. riocoolnes

I appreciate all the info . I pray to God he didn't do that. IT's my most local shop. I'm going to call him and just ask him for a summary. He Started working on it friday and told me it would be done 11 days later. I was a little surprised when it was done 4-5 days later.

Someone could tell by the way i was speaking i basically didn't know anything but was willing to pay as long as it played amazing. I hope i'm the one mistaken.

I'm gonna call the tech tomorrow. Most likely anyways Ill return it to GC hopefully they will give me my money back I'll explain and tell them basically everything, cry if i have to see if they will give me the 1k back. I'm not sure how they are on these things. They really have no obligation to heed my cry so i get it if they don't . Then ill just sell it. It's not broken and there isn't anything wrong. I just didn't get as good of a fret job for the money i paid thats all. Maybe i can atleast recoup between the guitar, locking tuners, and case 800-850 if i have to sell it.

Then ill just upgrade, either ill get a new professional and get it setup on 10 strings and Locking tuners. Or Ill just wait till i get a covid shot in 2/3 weeks then 1 month till second so basically 2/2.5 months and then ill go to a store and try them all out(which is best) i just lack patience lol.

3bolt79 and s5tuart like this.
  12. riocoolnes

Thank you guys for everything and all your input Please keep it coming!

13. dirocyn

It's worse than that. It's more like this: you go to a tire store and tell them you've got a flat and you want 4 new tires--they say that'll be $350 and come back in a few hours. When you come back, they take your money and say it's all fixed and you leave. When you get home, you discover you still have the same tires on your car, they put a patch on your leaky tire (maybe a $50 job, these days) and didn't even inflate your other 3 tires to spec. And at the end of the day, you still have old tires.

You paid for new frets, and judging by the photos with divots still in your frets, what you got was a half-assed fret leveling, that would have been worth ~$100 IF they'd crowned and polished the frets and put a new set of strings on it. Maybe they judged all it needed was a leveling--maybe they're even right! But they still charged you for a job that wasn't done.

valvestate, drp146, StratUp and 5 others like this.
  14. rockon1

rockon1 Senior Stratmaster

Maybe I missed some pics but Im not seeing divots?

15. dirocyn

Zoom in on this pic, look at the high e side.

[​IMG]

16. riocoolnes

here are some more photos! Thank you guys. I appreciate it this so much! Learning experience! it looks like there are dings in the frets it's just the shadow of the strings.

Attached Files:

17. Dibbs

Dibbs Strat-O-Master

Well, sure they are! GC sold YOU a REAL MIA. Oh, LUCY...

3bolt79 and riocoolnes like this.
  18. Colnago1

Colnago1 Strat-Talker

Looks like a nice guitar. If the frets are all polished up now and everything is kosher, why return it?

Fuzzfinger, rockon1 and riocoolnes like this.
  19. riocoolnes

I AGREE!!! UGH IDK WHAT TO DO! Ill wait a day atleast ill call the tech. Get the run down. Ill call GC and just see What the return policy would be in case i decided. to return it. It also need some intonation so i did that. But it probably needs a set up. Ill call the tech maybe he will look at it again and give me the set up for free or refund me some money (i want to give him the benefit of the doubt this is a very reputable shop) and just in case ill call GC. You guys are great!

s5tuart likes this.
  20. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Most Honored Senior Member

Don't let that throw you. Search out a guy named Fruda on YT. He has 4 videos covering truss rod adjustment, action/saddle heights, intonation and setting up a floating trem. Watch all 4 a couple times in that order and you'll understand what's involved.

You can do that. Don't be intimidated. You won't do any permanent damage if you follow his instructions and if you get it wrong you can keep doing it until you learn to get it right, or just take it to a good tech for a setup.

If you take it to a tech and it's the way you want it, before you play it too much look at it as if you were going to do a set up and note how it is. Here's a great vid with John Suhr talking about how he gives a quick exam to a guitar to see what it might need in the way of a setup.

drp146 and riocoolnes like this.