Strat Repair / Should I keep

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by riocoolnes, Jan 10, 2021.

1. SKYDOG4570

SKYDOG4570 "I didn't do it!" I'm serious, I really didn't! Gold Supporting Member Silver Member

Slightly south and east of where I want to be
    Refrets don't normally include leveling, crowning and polishing. As far a sprout that's something you feel not necessarily see.

3bolt79 likes this.
  2. SKYDOG4570

SKYDOG4570 "I didn't do it!" I'm serious, I really didn't! Gold Supporting Member Silver Member

Slightly south and east of where I want to be
    Professional (last series) are great. I would imagine that the Professional II ( new series) is even greater since it's very close in features to an Ultra.

valvestate, 3bolt79 and drp146 like this.
  3. hutt8

hutt8 Strat-Talk Member

I have about 40 years experience building and repairing guitars. If you have a rough, sandpaper feel when bending notes the frets were not properly polished. The other issue in 'dead' spots is bad leveling and crowning of the frets; poor leveling will limit the string vibration and if they have not been rounded properly the string can sound dead or have a slight rattle because the flatness of the fret causes the string to actually rattle against the fret. A proper, leveled, crowned and polished fret job should allow any string on any fret to ring out true if new strings are used.

4. hutt8

hutt8 Strat-Talk Member

Any refret I have done always includes leveling, crowning and polishing. Usually the amount of material removed is minimal when compared to a fret dressing on worn frets but there is always a slight discrepancy on fret height when installing new frets that needs to be corrected through leveling. I have seen brand new Fenders and Gibsons run through a PLEK machine and almost always a slight amount of material is removed from marginally high frets.

rafasounds, 3bolt79, drp146 and 4 others like this.
  5. The_Whale

The_Whale Strat-Talker Silver Member

I expect there will be another twist in plot of this story....

3bolt79, drp146, CB91710 and 3 others like this.
  6. mcmike27

mcmike27 New Member!

Those strings have a bit of rust on them for sure....but the re fret was not completed....those are not beveled or polished at all.... I have 195 American Standard Strat and it doesnt look like yours and those frets are original.... my tech here in Pa did some very minor touchup and polishing when I bought it new and its been fine ever since... I have replaced the strings may times and I only use some XXXXX steel wool on them between changes and they are as smooth as silk... take it back and have it finished.

7. mcmike27

mcmike27 New Member!

Those strings have a bit of rust on them for sure....but the re fret was not completed....those are not beveled or polished at all.... I have 195 American Standard Strat and it doesnt look like yours and those frets are original.... my tech here in Pa did some very minor touchup and polishing when I bought it new and its been fine ever since... I have replaced the strings may times and I only use some XXXXX steel wool on them between changes and they are as smooth as silk... take it back and have it finished.

8. StratUp

StratUp Strat-Talker

Not sure if you've already been and back... but the second fret looks like it has divots under the high E and B strings. Could be the photo, but look specifically there. If it does, there was no refret.

All frets should look like perfect surfaces with new frets. Even if there was some crowning, filing,etc, all the surfaces should be flawless across the fret.

drp146 likes this.
  9. Scott Baxendale

Scott Baxendale Strat-O-Master Gold Supporting Member

It sound
    It sounds like an inferior fret job. No guitar would ever leave our shop from getting a refret without playing perfectly first.

rafasounds, 3bolt79 and drp146 like this.
  10. Imtxn

Imtxn Strat-Talk Member

This picture shows older frets with some wear, but the neck polished with Howard’s & frets were very recently cleaned and polished up to 0000 steel wool. I think the shop managed to sell you the proverbial Bridge. Perhaps reinserting those popped out frets would have been enough ...
    Me

drp146 likes this.
  11. Imtxn

Imtxn Strat-Talk Member

12. Imtxn

Imtxn Strat-Talk Member

these frets were recently cleaned and polished to 0000 steel wool. The rosewood conditioned with Howard’s. Even though there is obvious wear there are no divits & the frets gleam from the polishing. I really don’t see what I would consider someone’s pride in their work in your photos. What work was don, if any, is half assed BS

Attached Files:

3bolt79 and drp146 like this.
  13. riocoolnes

riocoolnes Strat-Talk Member

So far great news. He took it back he says he polished again, and intonated it, adjusted action a bit .

I just got it back will be playing for aa few hours an let's say how she sounds and plays!

14. kd5qld

kd5qld Strat-Talk Member

Those strings are nasty.
    I can't believe a refret wouldn't get a resting with ut

drp146 likes this.
  15. The_Whale

The_Whale Strat-Talker Silver Member

that was fast.

very fast,

edit: "very"

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
    drp146, riocoolnes and CB91710 like this.
  16. riocoolnes

riocoolnes Strat-Talk Member

Ok So most of the Friction on the fret board when i bend on the b string is basically gone ! The guitar rings much better. Also bends slightly better. This is how i would expect it to play! He didn't charge me more money! So thats good! I'm satisfied for now! Looks like he did some setting up also!

Now onto the next problem lol tha amp! haha. So Once i get all of this sorted out i will make a video so you guys can hear the guitar! Thank you guys for everything!

rockon1, FrieAsABird and mschafft like this.
  17. drp146

drp146 Strat-Talk Member

If I were you I would be very leery of taking back to a guy who it seems didn't do it right the first time. I'm thinking there is a significant risk that he will botch the job even more. I'd get a second opinion from a more experienced guitar tech.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
  18. mschafft

mschafft Strat-Talk Member

Glad you could find a satisfying improvement without spending more. Enjoy your Fender!

19. Michael919

Michael919 Senior Stratmaster

A refret without a leveling, crown and polish is not a refret. It's half a refret.

jtoomuch, rafasounds, 3bolt79 and 4 others like this.
  20. stratocarlster

stratocarlster Most Honored Senior Member

Just play your guitar for a while, enjoy it and stop chasing shadows. Lesson learned, your local tech isn't great at refrets. But it's clearly improved the guitar and no damage done.

riocoolnes, drp146 and Stratoskater like this.