1. Enter to Win one of two Strats we are giving away! An American Pro II Strat HSS and a Squier Classic Vibe Strat. To see the prizes and rules: https://www.strat-talk.com/pages/2020_Fundraiser_giveaway/ To enter: https://www.strat-talk.com/account/upgrades To enter, simply upgrade to silver (1 entry), gold (2 entries), platinum (5 entries), or double platinum supporting membership (10 entries). November 5th is the last day to enter!

Strat Saddle Materials.....

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by zozoe, Oct 15, 2020.

1. zozoe

zozoe Strat-Talker

Hi all,,, I put together my 1st, and only DIY, and w/o really researching it, I went with a big brass block & brass saddles, and they may be attributed to the overall softness in sound of the guitar. I understand that body, body finish, neck & fretboard all come into play as well, but is steel, for instant, brighter & better for sustain? What alloy should I be considering in place of the soft brass? Block being brass also important?
    Thanks all & be well!!

Scott Baxendale and 3bolt79 like this.
  2. guitarchaeologist

guitarchaeologist Papa Americano Silver Member

Hi @zozoe This topic has really been discussed/argued ad nauseam. In the end, about all you can do is try them and see if you can hear a difference.
    Cheers, and have fun in the journey.

3. zozoe

zozoe Strat-Talker

Thanks,, I was hoping for more of a suggestion & not just an opinion. Thanks~

4. Seamus OReally

Seamus OReally Buried alive in the blues Gold Supporting Member

Well, all you're going to get are opinions.

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  5. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

It's just what you believe and that's up to you.

Doug B and TepidPilot like this.
  6. rockon1

rockon1 Strat-O-Master

Well I put a brass, cast, and steel saddles on my guitsr at the same time in the high e, b and g positions. Strung them all with 9's. That way I could compare them in real time. If I heard a difference it was so subtle as to be irrelavent.
    The differences in blocks and saddles is minimal.

7. ibdrkn1

ibdrkn1 Strat-Talker

All suggestions will in a way be an opinion.

If you reverse this line of thinking his opinion is also a suggestion to either accept where you're at or know that you may be entering a never ending search for something that may or not exist.

My opinion when it comes to changing the "Out the amp" sound of an electric guitar is to change your pickups or anything after the guitar.

All other changes offer most of their changes in tone unplugged. The plugged in difference is so small one could easily say it's imagined.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
    zozoe and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  8. zozoe

zozoe Strat-Talker

Agreed,,, I'm looking for that unplugged difference, which will most definitely affect the overall performance~ But I ain't spending 200 bills to do so

9. R-Dizzle

R-Dizzle Strat-Talker

You could say that for almost every thread, IE: Nitro vs Poly, stainless steel vs nickel, US vs MIM etc etc. One way or another stuff will be discussed a lot or brought up. Otherwise this forum would be pretty dead. I get it though.

guitarchaeologist and rockon1 like this.
  10. zozoe

zozoe Strat-Talker

And it's just nice hear everyone's experiences, take it for what it's worth, & make new acquaintances~ All good!!

11. stevierayfan91

stevierayfan91 DEEPLY SHY.

Hi, @zozoe

Is the trem a 2 point or 6 point ?

If 6 point, the Fender American Vintage steel trem may be a good option.

12. Nick L Plate

Nick L Plate Strat-Talk Member

What? It's not simply and entirely opinion! What you end up liking is, of course, totally subjective. But different saddle materials can indeed affect the sound, and while not always, most of the time in particular ways. Personally, except for extremes, I have no great preference. I avoid brass because I find it a bit less crisp. Titanium seems unnecessarily sharp and not worth the $$$. Steel seems best, all-round, to me, though cheesy, thin steel saddles (cheapy Fender, etc.) sound weak. Of course, most times a tweak of the tone knob on the guitar, amp, or pedal(s) will compensate for most of this. Personally, I think that Callaham has nailed it with Strat sadddles. Some consider them too bright; they're not. They're articulate and clear, and if you don't want highs, clarity, and high harmonics, use the tone control.

13. heltershelton

heltershelton BANNED Silver Member

on my guitars i have stock, brass, titanium, and string savers.
    i really cant tell a difference in tone between them.
    then again ive never been too picky about my sound. i kinda pride myself in making whatever im using work.

StratoMutt likes this.
  14. StratoMutt

StratoMutt Senior Stratmaster

The basic Fender design and materials have done well enough. Unless you want something really different sound-wise, why bother?

This ↑ ↑

imwo, there are people who swap out materials and such and are convinced they make a substantial difference. Some hear what they want to hear.

Aside from stainless steel frets, I go with what is traditional.

Made a real mistake in my first Strat build thinking non traditional all brass hardware and heavy ash was the best.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
  15. Dudeman7

Dudeman7 Strat-Talker

I replaced the steel saddles on two MIM Strats with GraphTech String Savers.

Can't say I noticed any difference in the way either guitar sounds, one HH and one HSS.

They certainly feel better under my palm though.

16. myredstrat

myredstrat Senior Stratmaster

hey! what ever happened to the steel vs metal guy?

guitarchaeologist likes this.
  17. CyFan4036

CyFan4036 Strat-O-Master

Titanium is the brightest sounding followed by stainless, cold rolled and brass. That holds for saddles and blocks.

Brass is thought to sustain longer. Some manufacturers go to great lengths to use brass, PRS being one of them.

DISCLAIMER:

These statements are my opinions based on my experiences and of my perceptions of my world. These perceptions may not be your perceptions and that's alright. If you can't perceive a difference then this topic is irrelevant to you. My ears and my hands tell my brain there is a difference.

18. rockon1

rockon1 Strat-O-Master

Very dismissive of you and as a statement, not true. It is relevant to me and my perceptions are as as viable as yours. Ive gone to some lengths to ascertain a difference. Fact is I heard minimal to none.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
  19. CyFan4036

CyFan4036 Strat-O-Master

You obviously didn't understand my post. I accept your reality as true for you. We don't have to agree to be friends:)