1. Enter to Win one of two Strats we are giving away! An American Pro II Strat HSS and a Squier Classic Vibe Strat. To see the prizes and rules: https://www.strat-talk.com/pages/2020_Fundraiser_giveaway/ To enter: https://www.strat-talk.com/account/upgrades To enter, simply upgrade to silver (1 entry), gold (2 entries), platinum (5 entries), or double platinum supporting membership (10 entries). November 5th is the last day to enter!

Strat Saddle Materials.....

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by zozoe, Oct 15, 2020.

1. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985

Hi zozoe, welcome to ST.

IME, just about any change of major structural components, and those that directly contact/support the vibrating string, can effect the tone to some degree. It may change it, but it's hard to predict how, because there are a lot of factors in play, and different is just different not necessarily better.

To be perfectly frank, I think changing strings, or changing amp settings, or a different amp, or turning the knobs on the guitar make a bigger difference than changing saddles.

2. rockon1

rockon1 Strat-O-Master

Ok fair enough but your wording/assumption is, lets say, poor. Think about it- whether or not I can hear a difference is irrelevant to whether or not this topic is for me. It is totally relevant to me to have my opinion voiced that I do not hear a difference. :)

3. CyFan4036

CyFan4036 Strat-O-Master

I simply meant that if you can't hear or feel a difference then it's irrelevant because it doesn't matter what materials are on your guitar because they will all be the same. Not that you aren't entitled to an opinion...I would never say that:thumb:

4. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

When I replaced the tiny zinc block in my se squier strat with a full size brass one, I couldn't hear more difference than installing new strings--which I also did at the same time. I conclude the block doesn't make enough difference to bother with it again.

When I switched from steel block saddles on my tele to 3 brass barrel saddles, the guitar gained overtones that remind me of a bronze string acoustic. It's a huge difference, not subtle at all. For saddles, steel goes zing and brass goes zang, and I still hear it through the amp.

If there's a sound difference between bent steel saddles and block steel saddles, I haven't noticed.

5. Scott Baxendale

Scott Baxendale Strat-O-Master Gold Supporting Member

First of all, you’re splitting hairs. Do you like how it sounds the way it is? If so move on, if not you can change out hardware.

The best sound IMO for the bridge is the Vintage style bridge with the steel block. For saddles you could try some graph tech saddles or go with some better grade folded steel saddles, similar to the vintage originals. I’ve never been a fan of any of the die cast saddles. Now if you want more of a modern sound then go with the American Standard bridge and use their original saddles.
    The sky is the limit with pickups. I really like the Lollar’s, but there are tons of great Strat replacement pickups to try. For the noiseless sound the Kinnman pickups have always done well, but I like the standard pickups better.

6. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Most Honored Senior Member

I would deduct from the OP's posts, he's the victim of the infestation of misinformation prolific in whatever media you want to choose... Being constantly "hammered" with bull like " "unplugged" indicates what the guitar will sound like when plugged" permeates the brain, particularly if it's the information one WANTS to read/hear... that in turn infects any rational thought, corrupting the normal thought process and further infecting an valid information offered.

Without getting into specifics, or trying one more time to stamp out the fires of bad info, I can see from the posts above, before any valid corrections can be proffered, the "board" needs to be erased, then filled with valid info..

but since there isn't a chance in heck of that happening.. I'd just suggest change the pickups from whatever you have, to Bill Lawrence MicroCoils.. an rock that momma on into the future...

r