Join Strat-Talk Today

Strat single coil identification

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by bgropp, Jun 25, 2019.

1. bgropp

bgropp New Member!

I've got two pickguards that I have no idea what the pickups are. Please help! The first are Fender Custom Shops but I don't know what kind....the first 3 pics are for these. The 4th and 5th are for the pickups on the other strat with no writing on them. The first CS pups have a reading of
    Neck 6.17
    Middle 5.96
    Bridge 6.66

The second pickguard have black bottoms with no writing on them, although there might be numbers
    Neck. 6.77
    Middle 7.42
    Bridge 6.66

If anybody has any knowledge about what either of these sets are I'd really appreciate the help!

Thanks!
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

2. bgropp

bgropp New Member!

Anybody?

3. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Strats Amore Strat-Talk Supporter

Your second set looks like stock (or some variation of) American Standard pickups to me -- maybe mid 2000s?

But more photos and/or more info is needed to ID your first set..... like, a photo of showing the magnet stagger and bevel, and a photo of one pickup with the cover off showing the windings.

bgropp likes this.
  4. sjtalon

sjtalon Senior Stratmaster

top set-if the coil wire is dark purplish, then Texas Specials. If gold- copper looking- Fat 50's.

bottom set, Am. Std.,Series

Antstrat and bgropp like this.
  5. bgropp

bgropp New Member!

It's dark purple, so I guess they're Texas specials?

So the plot thickens, I put them in another guitar, wired it up and the middle pickup has no reading on multimeter and has a faint sound maybe 20 percent volume, but when I tap on the front there is an amplified sound. No wires appear to be loose and the connections are solid. I don't get a reading from the output Jack or the wires connection.

Any help is greatly appreciated! I've never had this happen and Google didnt give me any results....[​IMG][​IMG]

6. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Strats Amore Strat-Talk Supporter

Just to be sure, check with your multi-meter where the leads are soldered to the eyelets on the bobbin and see if you get a reading there. If you originally got a reading (your OP says it was 5.96k) then assuming the pickup is still good --windings intact, magnets charged-- then there must be something fishy in either your wiring, soldering, or perhaps the switch itself is bad.

Try swapping your middle pickup hot lead on the switch with either the bridge or neck and see if you get the same result.

bgropp likes this.
  7. Antstrat

Antstrat Strat-O-Master

Texas specials neck p/u should have a blue dot on the bottom, middle p/u one of the wires is yellow, bridge should have a red dot on the bottom.

bgropp likes this.
  8. Skinny Nitro

Skinny Nitro Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Wire colors on the others are the same as Tex Mex.
    Fender_Tex_Mex_set_bttm.jpg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.