Strat String Gauge

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by riocoolnes, Dec 21, 2020.

1. Audiowonderland

Audiowonderland Strat-O-Master Silver Member

No, 8's have been around for ever. I used them for short stints a few times in the 80's. I don't know who else made them at the time but I used Fender sets back then. I loved the bendability, hated the intonation problems I had because my technique just wasn't where it needed to be.

2. dirocyn

dirocyn Most Honored Senior Member

Your memory is correct. Fender started selling .008s and .009s as individual strings in 1970, and included both in string sets in 1974. In 1974 Fender's 150XL was 9-40, and the 150SL was 8-38. It's possible other companies were selling similar sets a couple years earlier.

The music store in my podunk town didn't stock strings smaller than 9s, even into the 1990s. I remember seeing 8s for the first time in an urban music store around 1995. There were several different brands and I remember being confused by the nomenclature of extra light vs. super light vs. ultra light vs. ultra slinky or whatever. Every company used different terminology and I suspect that's why we refer to a set of 9s instead of just extra light.

CB91710 likes this.
  3. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

Much the same if not worse here, and few makes to choose from.

dirocyn likes this.
  4. systolsys

systolsys Strat-O-Master

Not even then....

5. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Fuzz Meister General

I use 10.5-48 EB’s or D’addario. They much gooder :D

6. Nick L Plate

Nick L Plate Strat-Talker

Answer to OP = pure hogwash. You can switch between 9s and 10s, which are equally common, easily. You may need to adjust saddle height or neck relief if your neck is really whippy, but most likely not. You may need to tighten the trem claw a tun or two since 10s exert more tension, but again, probably not. Fender's nuts are cut to run either 9s or 10s. If you want to get really fusyy, you might consider using a 9.5 set, which is what I use on Strats. It's no miracle, but does seem to "nail it" given the "9s are too loose, 10s are to stiff" situation some of us experience. I'm fine with both 9s and 10s, so the 9.5s make the whole thing go away.

7. Tdurden032

Tdurden032 Strat-O-Master

I’ve tried a number of strings (brands and gauges) over the years and I keep coming back to Ernie ball super slinky’s (9’s). Very rarely break one and there’s just something about the feel that’s just right where I want them.

Mannie likes this.
  8. The_Whale

The_Whale Strat-Talker

"I over heard somebody"

uh huh..

9. rbspql

rbspql Strat-Talker

That's interesting: I could say the same with D'Addarios (10s): when I tried the EBs I found out I easily break them: it never happens with D'Addarios! Go figure...

10. Tdurden032

Thanks for sharing - I hear that same comment from other players from time to time (EB supers breaking), but I haven’t had that issue for whatever reason. I typically block my trems but maybe it’s just my wimpy hand strength - lol. I really like the sound (amplified or otherwise) that they make and maybe I wind up re-tuning a lot after a really bendy song, but they just seem to feel best to me.

11. rbspql

rbspql Strat-Talker

Yes, I liked the EBs a lot, but after a couple of sets where I broke a thin string I switched back to D'Addarios. Which I like too, so no problems...
    It is just strange, I can't explain it. I almost never broke a D'Addario. Maybe we're in synch as fellow Italians... ;-)

12. Nightprowler

Nightprowler Strat-Talker

I use 9s and tune to E Flat . I've tried going with 10s and I really don't hear much difference in tone . Even Rick Biatto thinks 9s sound better . Yngwie uses 8s and Hendrix did as well .

13. StratUp

StratUp Senior Stratmaster

FWIW - They were selling 7's in the 1970's. I'd go 9's on the longer Strat scale.

14. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Senior Stratmaster

.0095-.044 set on a Strat seems to feel about the same as regular .010s on a Les Paul.

My hands are getting older now. After many decades of using .010s, I'm planning a switch pretty soon to .009s for my Fenders and .0095s on Gibsons and PRSs.

Will keep one or two guitars strung with .010s; the .0095s don't cut it for me on slide. Was surprised how little tone was lost when I tried 'em, but just couldn't make 'em work for slide.

15. WelhavenT

WelhavenT Senior Stratmaster

9-46 feels just wrong to me, on any guitar. I like to dig in, and I started playing using 11s. The last ten years I’ve been using 10-52. And Dunlop Jazz III max grip.

16. Tdurden032

Lol - I love it - as I think about it, I’ve always had great luck with D’Addarios as well - the super slinky’s just seem to be my happy place as it relates to strings...

rbspql likes this.
  17. Hudman_1

Hudman_1 Strat-O-Master

9-42 on a Strat with the tremolo non floating feels the same as 10-46 on my Les Paul and SG.

CB91710 likes this.
  18. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

I ran 9s on Fender and 10s on my Gibsons for a while, but now I just use 9-46 on everything.

19. TrogdorBurninator

TrogdorBurninator Strat-Talker

Thats what I go for.

HazyPurple likes this.
  20. HazyPurple

HazyPurple Without stress... my life would be empty Silver Member

Good man! :thumb:

TrogdorBurninator likes this.