1. Enter to Win one of two Strats we are giving away! An American Pro II Strat HSS and a Squier Classic Vibe Strat. To see the prizes and rules: https://www.strat-talk.com/pages/2020_Fundraiser_giveaway/ To enter: https://www.strat-talk.com/account/upgrades To enter, simply upgrade to silver (1 entry), gold (2 entries), platinum (5 entries), or double platinum supporting membership (10 entries). November 5th is the last day to enter!

Strat-talk Quiz

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Guy Named Sue, Sep 22, 2020.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Censored

This is a fun quiz that I put together for you guys, at least I hope it's fun. Those of you who wish to participate, these are the rules.

Go through the questions, write down your answers individually to each question and send me a copy of the answers as a private message titled Strat-talk Quiz. Whoever gets most answers correct will receive a prize sent from me. There is no cost involved for anyone who participates. Make sure to mark each answer with the designated number for the question.

The correct answers and the name of the winner will be announced on Sunday 27th. A private message will also be sent to the winner with information.

Best of luck!

1 - If you happened to be at Regal Theater in Chicago on March 10, 1963, you might have witness something magical. A 12 year old boy entering the stage in front of a huge crowd to perform one song but ends up playing a highly improvised version of that song and with his high-energy performance making the crowd go crazy. What's even more impressive is that this version of the song would become the very first live recording to hit #1 in US.

What is the name of the artist and the song? Bonus points if you know the name of another up and coming artist that played drums for this kid that very night at Regal Theater in Chicago.

2 - During his first trip to England Dylan came in contact with the folkscene and was introduced to Martin Carthy "I ran into some people in England who really knew those [traditional English] songs," Dylan recalled in 1984. "Martin Carthy, another guy named [Bob] Davenport. Martin Carthy's incredible. I learned a lot of stuff from Martin." Carthy exposed Dylan to a traditional folk song that caught his attention, this prompted Dylan to write two love ballads in which he borrowed lyrics and melody from Carthy's tune.

What are the names of Dylan's songs and which one of Carthy's songs influenced Dylan?

3 - Who is considered to have been the sixth member of the band Pink Floyd?

4 - Which guitarist pioneered the use of the violin bow on guitar strings?

5 - Springsteen didn't play this song live for over a year after Clarence Clemons died on June 18, 2011. When he did finally put the song back in rotation, it was at a show in Gothenburg, Sweden on July 28, 2012, with Clemons' nephew Jake playing the famous saxophone part. What is the title of this song?

6 - Fun fact about The Bee Gee's.
    When the Gibbs were children, they started songwriting through a game of make-believe. They would listen to the radio and pretend like they were in charge of writing the artist's next hit record. "It was a hobby that we weren't even aware of," Robin explained. "We were just playing it the same way kids throw a ball around; we were just throwing music around."
    Robin thought it was important to protect a budding idea from criticism: "One problem is: don't invite anybody to say anything critical when you are developing a song. It is crucial that you don't... It can have a dramatic effect on how the song progresses, even to the point where you don't finish it."

Barry and Robin Gibb of the Bee Gees wrote this song in the style of Andy Williams, which song am I thinking of?

7 - While traveling this 70-mile north-south thoroughfare for a tour whilst reading The Growth Of the Soil by the Nobel Prize winning Norwegian author Knut Hamsun, Mark Knopfler was inspired to put the 2 together and write a song. The song was a metaphor for the development of America and the ruining of one man's dreams in the wake of its decline, in particular focusing on unemployment.

What's the title of the song?

8 - 1976, album sales were growing at such a fast clip that the RIAA introduced the platinum ranking for the first time. Guess which album was the one to receive the first platinum status?

9 - Which Pink Floyd song bears a slight melodic resemblance to the old Irish folk song The Wild Mountain Thyme?

10 - Guitarist and basist Charlie McCoy contributed to every Dylan album from 1965 to 1970. His initial contribution, however, was the result of an apparent accident.

When McCoy was in New York for a visit, his friend, producer Bob Johnston, arranged for him to go and see a Broadway show. Johnston suggested that he drop by the nearby Columbia Studios to pick up the tickets. "He introduced me to Dylan," recalled McCoy to Uncut magazine March 2014, "and he said to me, 'I'm getting ready to record a song, why don't you pick up the other guitar and play?' We had time for one take, one playback and then for another session. What was the title of that song?

11 - I Want You (She's So Heavy) was released on The Beatles 1969 album Abbey road. George Harrison played a Moog synthesizer on this track. It is one of the first uses of the instrument, which was custom-made for Harrison.
    The guitars were overdubbed many times to get a layered sound.

This song contains an accidental background lyric. On stereo, play the song at 4:30 and listen very closely to the left speaker. In the bass break after John's scream, you can faintly hear someone say........?

And last but not least the bonus round.

12- Name one object on a traditional stratocaster that in proportion to its size, has the biggest impact on a guitars overall sound.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
    Omar, aiabx and dante1963 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.