Strat to mod

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by kill kerensky, Dec 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kill kerensky

kill kerensky Strat-Talk Member

Hi guys
    I am going to buy a new strat that will be nodded probably with a single bridge humbucker, a - la van halen.

I can't decide between Japan lawsuite and Mexico (player or old, maybe since I will swap pickups they should be the same? Or am I wrong?)

Which one should you choose?
    I am interested in the quality of the wood and playability, don't care for pickups

Stratobastard likes this.
  2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

There is no such thing as 'quality of the wood' when talking an electric solid flat body guitar with no hollow chambers or anything. This is not an acoustic guitar.

You should look for a guitar that suits you as close as possible with the stock specs...

'Japan lawsuit' is also a very broad term and the quality of some of them were poor, some were amazing....so we need more specific info :)

3. albala

albala Dr. Stratster

I've used MIM bodies and made some wonderful partscasters

20211110_074137.jpg 20211009_104043.jpg

4. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

Japan lawsuit? They haven't been made in over 40 years.

5. jackblues

jackblues Strat-Talk Member

image.jpg You might want to look for USA made squiers, those are pretty rare nowadays, but those are modders dream definitely. Those are identical to standard US made fenders of the time (89-90), but with cheaper electronics and hardware. Plus It’s a cool story to tell (you can google that easily). You can find a few on ebay and reverb now.

I personally have two of those and they are some of the best guitars I ever played.

as for “japan lawsuit” - i own an Ibanez Silver Series strat, which being just wonderful guitar is not great for modding as the measurements of everything are slightly off from Fender specs. Like you can’t easily swap the bridge, neck or anything. (Attaching picture as well)

Attached Files:

WallyB and kill kerensky like this.
  6. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

WHAT? Your information is not correct.

The USA Squier is only worth so much because of hype. They had totally different specs than a USA model. 6 point bridge, different cheaper tuners, cheaper overall hardware, ceramic pickups, smaller vintage frets, they were a test run for the Mexico Standard Strat my friend.....

They're not in any way like an American Standard Fender Strat.....

a USA Squier is lower quality than a Squier Classic Vibe or a late 90s Pro Tone from Korea.....and if this blows you away, you really need to try an 80s Japanese Fender.....then you'll see what higher quality is.....

7. jackblues

I like holy wars of this nature:)
    I did have 80s Japanese strats and those sometimes being great are pretty inconsistent. But claiming that those are superior is simply ridiculous.

USA squiers weren’t no test run, but fulfilment of contract obligations due to a burned down factory.

I have mentioned inferior hardware and electronics on those for sure btw, that needs to be replaced. i don’t know where you get your information on 2 point bridges being better than 6 point as well, those are a bad design.

as for the bodies and necks - USA squiers have imperial measurements on everything, unlike MIM and Japanese which are metric.

please don’t confuse a person who is asking for an advice, my friend.

8. Higgins1980

Higgins1980 Senior Stratmaster

my 2 point trem works great and is wonderfully designed. Does exactly what a trem should and stays in tune.

9. jackblues

Thats good, i’m glad you like it. I didn’t mean to be so sharp about this, i apologize. The statement of unconditional superiority of 2 point tremolos got to me. The point here wasn’t to start another 2 vs 6 discussion, rather discuss modding options.

I belive 2 is better if you use tremolo, 6 - if you don’t. Better contact, better tone.
    I guess if you absolutely have to have tremolo - Fender 2 point is much better than Floyd Rose:))

10. kill kerensky

kill kerensky Strat-Talk Member

Good point, I didn't think to specs.
    So I guess I have to look into Squier or Mexican stats, right?

11. jackblues

That is what i would do, yes. I like your nickname btw;)

kill kerensky likes this.
  12. Fenderbaum

Fenderbaum Strat-O-Master

You should care about the pickups, more than the wood.
    when it comes to wood.. i think, "do i want a lightweight guitar or can my body deal with a heavy axe?"
    The Pickups defines how your guitar sound way more than the wood.

Stratbats, Leofender and bgmacaw like this.
  13. jackblues

Dangerous statement. I’ve heard some luthier made guitars, filled with the best possible pickups…which altogether sounded like an Ikea Table with strings. Very flat, no harmonics and just weird. You need the right wood, older wood vibrates better and all that is definitely true.
    even though pickups play a huge role, which can’t be underestimated. But you can’t say it’s everything.

Leofender, kill kerensky and WallyB like this.
  14. Fenderbaum

Fenderbaum Strat-O-Master

With you there.. Often do i hear / read about pickups that sounds awful in one guitar but excellent in another. So wood do can play a role.
    But usually, when it comes to chasing tone, i do not select what wood my guitar should be built in. Pickups is the choice.

15. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein Silver Member

If you are looking for some good mod platforms then l recommend looking at the Squier Strat SE models. They were really inexpensive and have full size bodies on them. I've used them on many builds over the years.
    Here is one that may peak your interest since you mentioned EVH.
    20211107_182533.jpg
    Oh and the Floyd absolutely out performs the Fender 2 point. Best work of guitar engineering in the last 50 years IMO.:D

16. Thrup'ny Bit

Excuse me while I stop laughing, but your post is so full of rubbish that it's comical.

17. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein Silver Member

If I'm not mistaking, the headstock posted is from a 1999? Could I be wrong on the Squier models, maybe? Wasn't the Ensenada factory fire in the early 90s? Also if I recall correctly all of the blanks and wood came from Corona to be assembled there until something like 2003.

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  18. Thrup'ny Bit

One may appear to be on first look. :D

The USA Squiers were made before the 1994 Ensenada fire. MIM Strats first appeared around 1990 in an effort to move production from Japan, not all went to plan.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2021
    Guitarmageddon and Believer7713 like this.
  19. jackblues

A61C7C71-4F7F-441A-B2FE-E50A79EA5C38.jpeg That is 1990. Its what N9 means in This case.

20. jackblues

oh please, take your time. We can wait while you do that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.