Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Strat Ultra Owners Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by qblue, Jan 21, 2014.

1. qblue

qblue Senior Stratmaster

Feb 18, 2009
    Clarks Summit, PA
    I have been exhorting the sound of this special guitar in Fender's vintage lineup for years. I just looked and there is no evidence of a club for Ultra owners.

We should exchange ideas for this rare bird. i won't be selling it soon. I just used it for a MLK tribute on Monday, and it was awesome!

Here's my Strat Ultra, 1990, in Firestorm Red:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It has an ebony fingerboard, Blue, gold and Red bridge dually Lace sensors, 2 point tremelo, tremsetter, locking Schaller tuners and straplocks, TBX for the bridge pickup tone control, Wilkinson 2nd generation roller nut, and a Fender Ultra embossed neckplate. The body is Alder with Maple caps on front and back, with Ash side veneers.

circles, smithstrato and jomor like this.

2. qblue

qblue Senior Stratmaster

Feb 18, 2009
    Clarks Summit, PA
    I can't believe there aren't any Ultra owners lurking out there.

The most interesting fact I can find is that these came with Jumbo frets, described in this ad:

[​IMG]

The omission is that the Ultra came w/ a 5 position switch, coupled with a 3 position toggle to switch the bridge Red dually from single/HB/single operation. Also the the 3rd position is not just the middle pickup on position. It is a Telecaster-type of setting, turning on the both bridge and neck pickups.

This combo gives 11 pickup configurations and sounds. I might be the only person loving this arsenal of sounds, or I might be just an arse....

smithstrato and circles like this.

3. smithstrato

smithstrato Strat-O-Master

Aug 25, 2013
    florida
    Your not the only arse..haha Ultras just kick me in the me whenever I play one. The ebony board just puts it over the top for me. The options seem to go on forever as far as tone. Don"t tell everyone they may bring it back.

Attached Files:

• 054.jpg
      054.jpg
      File size:
      60.6 KB
      Views:
    • 036.jpg
      036.jpg
      File size:
      58.3 KB
      Views:
    • 024.jpg
      024.jpg
      File size:
      54.4 KB
      Views:
    • 055.jpg
      055.jpg
      File size:
      57.5 KB
      Views:
    circles likes this.

4. albala

albala Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

May 10, 2012
    stamford, CT
    Can I be in the club if I have a different factory Fender neck on an Ultra body? I have the Ultra neck plate too?

5. telestrat

telestrat Senior Stratmaster

Sep 6, 2011
    scotland
    :cool:the ultra is a lovely looking guitar love the flame finish

6. srvsayce78

srvsayce78 Most Honored Senior Member

Feb 15, 2011
    UK
    Utterly gorgeous range, would love one!

7. qblue

qblue Senior Stratmaster

Feb 18, 2009
    Clarks Summit, PA
    Why would you put one of the most special necks in Fender history on another body? At least you could return that Ultra to its former glory...

In short, yeah you are an Ultra owner. So consider yourself in the club.

8. albala

albala Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

May 10, 2012
    stamford, CT
    I didn't have a full Ultra, just the body and neck plate.

[​IMG]

Then I found this Fender big headstock baby with a nice flame on the back:

[​IMG]

et voila!

[​IMG]

smithstrato likes this.

9. BeginnerByron

BeginnerByron Strat-O-Master

Dec 13, 2013
    Texas
    I'd love to be in the club, too, but I've got a Plus that was cloned to be like an Ultra by the previous owner, I guess. Pretty convincing but you can tell by my avatar pic that the pg is squared off at the bridge for the dually rather than having a nice radius as on the genuine ones. And my toggle, unlike the real ones, DOES isolated the center PUP. Oh well, still pretty cool.

10. dpope

dpope Strat-Talk Member

Count me in...

I'd love to join in if you're all good with that? This is an absolute dream to play. Here's my baby...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

circles and smithstrato like this.

11. qblue

qblue Senior Stratmaster

Feb 18, 2009
    Clarks Summit, PA
    What year is that Ultra?? I have never seen an Ultra in white; what is the color and is the pickguard stock? Those pics are breathtaking! It's soo nice!

12. wrvond

wrvond Senior Stratmaster

Mar 22, 2011
    West Virginia
    1993 Ultra in Black Burst.
    I had originally wanted the Blue Burst, but it turns out I didn't like the edge treatment. While the translucent blue looks really good, the purplish edge really turns me off.
    I replaced the knobs with Elite style knobs (the real things cost a small fortune!) and installed Schaller strap locks. The original knobs and pins are safely stored away.
    Otherwise, it is completely stock and 100% complete.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have rotated these images upright three times, but they insist on laying down sideways. :mad:

13. dpope

dpope Strat-Talk Member

Hi, sorry for the delay in replying. This is a late 93 Ultra in what I think is called "Olympic White". The pick guard is stock and I think is an aged Perloid. There are no mods or upgrades, it is factory original.
    Cheers
    dp

14. qblue

qblue Senior Stratmaster

Feb 18, 2009
    Clarks Summit, PA
    I have a 1970 Stratocaster in Arctic white that I like. I like yours even more. Words cannot describe your Ultra! It's a beauty!

Thanks for posting...!
    Q

15. DWalt

DWalt New Member!

Apr 20, 2014
    Dayton, OH
    Hi Everyone - I have a '91 Ultra in the Black Burst as well. All original minus the neck pickup. I recently took the Blue Lace Sensor out and replaced it with a Gold. The Blue is way too muddy for me...didn't care for it at all. I love the sound of the Gold in the neck position. I'll hang onto the Blue in case I ever need to sell...which will probably never happen because I love this guitar. I had a '95 Strat Plus in Blue Burst with a maple neck but sold it because it just couldn't compare to my Ultra. This one's definitely a keeper.

16. qblue

qblue Senior Stratmaster

Feb 18, 2009
    Clarks Summit, PA
    We need some pics, man!

My Ultra is a keeper too, but I came to respect the Blue neck Lace Sensor, despite the 'muddy' sound. If you try P90's pickups you'll know why this blue sensor is good. I got a LP w/P90's and the blue sensor is a dead ringer for the P90 sound, especially in the neck. The neck P90 is more muddy than a Blue, so I enjoy using it, as I know that the tone control can open up the sound, and have a better result than on the LP '60's tribute. The Blue also sounds 'bigger' than the P90. I also like the quack the Gold middle and the Blue neck provide, and compared to the 4th position on my 1970 Stratocaster, the Ultra sounds better.

17. wrvond

wrvond Senior Stratmaster

Mar 22, 2011
    West Virginia
    I never questioned the statement by the previous owner of my Ultra that it was a 93 model. However, I had it apart the other day and noticed it is actually a '91!
    How 'bout them apples!

dpope - that is a beautiful guitar, for sure! I've been hungering for a Firestorm, but I do like the purity of that white.

Xhefri - I've been wanting to ask... I'm noticing a lot of "original" Ultras these days with Sperzel locking tuners rather than Schallers. In your research, have you come across anything indicating Sperzels were ever used?

18. dpope

dpope Strat-Talk Member

Hi wrvond. Yes, the firestorm is beautiful, I've not seen too many of those around. I really like the one I have now. It's a real pleasure to play.

19. artgtr

artgtr Strat-O-Master Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 18, 2013
    WURTSBORO, NY
    Hey, I have 2 1990, 1991 fender ultras, great guitars, the 91 is my #1, thinking about getting ready to retire before the frets get to refret time. Going to a custom shop for now. Great guitars. I am a strat fanatic anyway. My 2 are both bursts, one smoked, the other brighter.

20. smithstrato

smithstrato Strat-O-Master

Aug 25, 2013
    florida
    I have bought 2 more since then....A 97 blue burst and a 93 set neck custom shop Ultra.
    The variety is immence and am a sucker for ebony.
    I plan to buy more if the price is right.

chris64 likes this.