Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Strat Ultra Owners Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by qblue, Jan 21, 2014.

1. qblue

qblue Senior Stratmaster

Feb 18, 2009
    Clarks Summit, PA
    Smithstrato wrote:
    I have bought 2 more since then....A 97 blue burst and a 93 set neck custom shop Ultra.
    The variety is immence and am a sucker for ebony.
    I plan to buy more if the price is right.

Not to be nosy, what was the going sale prices of those Ultras? Pics would be nice, too.

2. antisinglecoil

antisinglecoil Senior Stratmaster

Jan 12, 2015
    Boston
    Hey guys, just FYI I have a WTB for a Strat Ultra in trans-red or firestorm. If you have one dead mint, I'd pay some serious cash to have it... Just puttin' it out there :)

3. qblue

qblue Senior Stratmaster

Feb 18, 2009
    Clarks Summit, PA
    How much for those used Ultras? I paid $1500, new for a 1990 model.

Sorry Antisinglecoil, the Firestorm red Ultra isn't for sale.

4. big bad strat

big bad strat Strat-Talk Member

May 5, 2011
    jakarta
    i also have one in Smokey grey burst... real beast...
    [​IMG]

5. kebek

kebek New Member!

Apr 17, 2015
    Canada
    Ultra 1993

Got a Ultra 1993 in red sunburst and a Deluxe Plus 1991 natural...
    really love those Ultras and Deluxes...
    Inspiration Ultra...
    I Customized a US standard strat...
    Olympic white, maple neck, perloid pickguard like the ultra... plus...
    I installed a dually Red on bridge...
    I installed a Red in the mid...
    I installed a dually blue on neck...
    With the add of 2 toggle switches to split the dually...
    Added a tremsetter...
    Just missing the nut.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015

6. antisinglecoil

antisinglecoil Senior Stratmaster

Jan 12, 2015
    Boston
    Qblue, ready to sell that firestorm yet?! :D

7. qblue

qblue Senior Stratmaster

Feb 18, 2009
    Clarks Summit, PA

Yeah, you wish. Not yet. I really enjoy the old bird, its 25 yrs old now. I have been playing lately what I call my vintage Jimi Strat from 1970. It is a mildly modified late '60s Strat. They sound different due to the old Strat Alnico 5s and the Laces in the Ultra. I purposely do this so I don't get tired of either guitar.

I think I just love having these guitars because you can't get 'em anymore. They are making great reproductions of the 1970 guitar's sound in the Classic 60's platform. It's identical. But Fender will never have the Ultra again. It's got an ebony fingerboard and 4 Lace Sensors, a tremsetter on a 2pt tremolo, and locking Schaller tuners. And an old Wilkinson roller nut, a piece Jeff Beck still uses. I bought it because the JB signature model had the same HSS setup, and the 'baseball' bat neck, which I thought was excessive, as was the price. I probably saved about $1000 by buying the $1500 Ultra! I also think The Fenders at that time(1990) were some of the best guitars they made as this was the new FMIC, and they didn't want to eff-it-up, and go bankrupt as in the mid-80's.

But that quality is why they aren't selling so many guitars now. Those 25 y/o and 45 y/o guitars still exist, due to the craftsmanship @ Fender. Of course the 1970 has needed some work like a refret ( done in 2010 )and it still needs a new set of tone pots. The Ultra is built like a tank; even the finish is like a 3D effect. The TBX has lost a lot of the detent feeling, but it operates the same. The pots are not noisy. The jumbo frets are holding up nicely. Both guitars cover Strat tones well with vintage and modern tones. I like the 1970 neck a lot better, as I don't like the modern C necks, as my old assed hands may cramp with repetitive motion.

Like Charlton Heston said about his guns, 'You'll have to pry these guitars from my cold dead hands'!

8. Calimero77

Calimero77 Strat-Talker

I have a 1997 Ultra in black, that was my first Fender and first good guitar. Bought it from a friend who brought it back from a trip in the US.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

circles likes this.

9. jomor

jomor New Member!

Jun 7, 2011
    canada
    91 Strat Ultra Firestorm Red

What does a good job on removing swirl marks? this guitar is mint with absolutely no marks, rash , wear except for light swirls visible in direct light.

any idea on current market value?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. hand amputation

hand amputation Strat-Talk Member

Jul 13, 2015
    Oklahoma
    Sure would like to own one...

:oops:

11. qblue

qblue Senior Stratmaster

Feb 18, 2009
    Clarks Summit, PA
    That is the 3rd version of a Firestorm Red Strat I have seen in addition to the 1990 I own and the one on Xhefri's guitars website. My version has some yellowing of the 'Mother of toilet bowl' pickguard. But the finish is 25 years old, and the swirl marks are to be expected. Yours looks almost unplayed. It is really hard to depict this finish in photographs.

As for market value, I just can't find these out there. Some are fakes, as noted by Xhefri on his website.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. qblue

qblue Senior Stratmaster

Feb 18, 2009
    Clarks Summit, PA
    That is the 3rd version of a Firestorm Red Strat I have seen in addition to the 1990 I own and the one on Xhefri's guitars website. My version has some yellowing of the 'Mother of toilet bowl' pickguard. But the finish is 25 years old, and the swirl marks are to be expected. Yours looks almost unplayed. It is really hard to depict this finish in photographs.

As for market value, I just can't find these out there. Some are fakes, as noted by Xhefri on his website.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. M_delatour

M_delatour New Member!

Aug 23, 2015
    Utrecht, Netherlands
    Hey all,

I just found out my Strat Ultra, which I have owned for almost 25 years now, apparently has a rare Firestorm finish. I know I may sound like a barbarian, but I never gave the finish much thought. It just felt like a good and versatile guitar back then. I will take some more detailed pics when I can, for now this one (my small setup whenever I play at home. Onstage mostly the blues deluxe tweed or the hot rod III). I'm by no means a fender fanatic, but the ultra really works for me. Sweet sweet guitar, it keeps on giving :)

Next to the Ultra, my rosewood Tele, I bought it in
    '95 I think. Also a sweet piece, but that's not what you are here for, hehe...

Greetings,

M

update: A few pics in daylight. Maybe it's difficult to see, its not exactly virgin material anymore; some surface scratches and a slight discolouration of the lace caps. All in all the result of many hours spent in practice rooms, on stages, and in dingy backstage areas.. Lots of fun and good music though :p

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 24, 2015

14. eco7077

eco7077 Strat-O-Master

Apr 30, 2013
    NYC

15. 56strat

56strat New Member!

Sep 9, 2008
    State of Washington
    Hey guys - I just wandered over from the TDPRI. Here's my Ultra. Bought it new in 1990 when they first came out. It's got an E9 serial number and still stock, other than the Schaller straplocks. This was my main guitar for 10 years, but mostly rests now. Great guitar though.

Strat-Ultra2.jpg

Michael919 likes this.

16. eco7077

eco7077 Strat-O-Master

Apr 30, 2013
    NYC
    in. I own a 91 blueburst Goddess!

17. qblue

qblue Senior Stratmaster

Feb 18, 2009
    Clarks Summit, PA
    What pickups did you put in?

Here's Don Felder putting some Laces in action on a Plus style Strat:

18. eco7077

eco7077 Strat-O-Master

Apr 30, 2013
    NYC
    I have a Ron Ellis neck and R Ellis middle (mid 60's) and a Suhr humbucker.

19. qblue

qblue Senior Stratmaster

Feb 18, 2009
    Clarks Summit, PA
    This guitar is not the Blueburst. So let me ask you a simple question, what pickups did you put in the blueburst Ultra??

20. eco7077

eco7077 Strat-O-Master

Apr 30, 2013
    NYC
    that guitar in the video is not me.
    That is a video of the Ron Ellis Mid 60's.

My guitar is blue burst and it has :

neck and middle: Ron Ellis Mid 60's
    Bridge: Suhr Humbucker.

Hope this clarifies the post.

My Ultra is the one on the right:
    [​IMG]