Strat was run over by a car

Robins

Dr. von Loudster
Dec 22, 2010
Germany
Road Kill #1
The good news are it is still kind of alive but maybe it is a Zombie ftom now on.
Buff it, fill it and keep rocking it.
Don't forget to install a back cam at your car.
Get a steel protection case for #1.
And always remember, all aboard first - ship ahoi later.
Welcome to the forum!
Jimi did worse things to his Stratocasters.
All will be well after the 6 weeks in rehab.
Maybe it takes some time she trust you again but it is just a psychological thing, if guitars have that.
If you are married...don't tell your wife how it happened.

Life is good,
Robin

axejock

Senior Stratmaster
Gold Supporting Member
Jul 26, 2018
Washington State
I used to hear the phrase "you can throw a Telecaster out on the road, have a dump truck run over it, and it would still be in tune". I guess that applies to Strats as well? But I would sure try to salvage this body as it looks kind of cool!

Pandamasque

Senior Stratmaster
Sep 22, 2020
Kyiv, Ukraine
So it was a not very desirable MIM Strat with multi-piece body, front and back veneer and a thick polyester finish. And now it's a true Road Worn AND a conversation starter! Provided it still plays alright, I'd just sand the edges, so that peeling finish isn't sharp to the touch and play it!

VTStratocaster28

Strat-Talk Member
Jul 23, 2022
Miami Florida
Was leaving a gig yesterday, I leaned all my gear against my car. Somehow I forgot to put my Strat in my car and pulled out of the parking spot with my guitar leaning against it the car. It ended up falling over and getting run over a bit my the front tire. 😭

I uploaded some pics of the damage. It's just a MIM strat but man it's my favorite guitar, I've tons of mods to it, it means a lot to me.

What should I do? Its poly lacquer, I'm afraid it might chip more. Is there anything I can do to prevent it from getting worse or further damaging the guitar? I'm not really interested in getting it completely fixed and the lacquer color matched. I just want to make sure it doesn't get worse.
That is a such heart breaker! I am no expert but I believe a luthier could sand it all down and remove the worst of the road rash and then paint the damaged area a secondary color like black or Candy Apple red or what ever you like. You could do some of the prep work yourself to save some dough. Best of luck. If you rent see if you have any rental insurance coverage- or if a Homeowner- check your insurance deductible and see if it would cover some of the repair? It never hurts to ask! I just purchased new a 2021 MIM Player Plus Stratocaster for just over a grand and it is amazing deal - Noiseless pickups, Locking Tuners (doesn’t go out of tune when you use the tremelo) the Player Plus has rolled edges on the fretboard and a 12 inch radius on the Pau Ferro fretboard - good place to spend your insurance check at your local Fender proprietor.

jvin248

Most Honored Senior Member
Jan 10, 2014
Michigan

That is a very common event through the decades. You'll be glad you didn't have a Gibson as you'd have a two piece headstock from just the landing, more from the run over part!

Remove any floating chips but the rest get 'Thin CA' at Hobby Lobby/etc. 'Thin CA' is a type, not you thinning it out with something. This CA will self-wick under the loose paint and bond it well. If you use standard CA it is like putting caulk around the edges of the chips, it will help but not be as sturdy as Thin CA.

600 grit will grind into everything too much, I'd start with 800 grit to soften all those paint chip edges after the CA dries. File any metal burrs smooth. Ease the fretboard edges. Smooth out any fret ends with a small rat file or friend's nail file, or the sandpaper wrapped over the corner of a small popsicle-like stick.

When you get the other kinks worked out of the guitar make sure to do a full setup with new strings. Set pickup heights by ear.

The keys to a great relic guitar (welcome to the club -- you have 'authentic relic wear' now) are the satin feel of the guitar like a great pair of jeans, and the easy playing performance. All typical forum member hate toward relics are all over the appearance, the feel and performance can never show up in pictures -- but those are what a true relic owner knows they have. Effortless playing that feels like an extension of you.

Be sure to post pictures of the guitar when you get it back to gig-ready status!

Horseflesh

Strat-Talk Member
Apr 25, 2022
Seattle-ish
If you go for CA glue, I’d get the thick stuff and maybe even apply it with a syringe. You don’t want any drips or runs getting away from you.

Another option might be epoxy putty… you can stabilize those paint chips by working it into the edges, smooth it down so it blends to the wood, and even sand the transition super smooth when it’s dry.

Oh, put a guitar kill sticker under your driver side window. 4 more and you’re an ace, right?

nifnof70

Strat-O-Master
Feb 8, 2017
Harpers Ferry WV
You are now fully qualified to play “Running down a dream”!

Hey, in all seriousness agree with what others have already said: it’s still intact and playable, with super duper Mojo now. Imagine how many times you will be recanting this tale? Keep us in the loop with this one!

dspellman

Senior Stratmaster
Mar 24, 2013
Los Angeles
Was leaving a gig yesterday, I leaned all my gear against my car. Somehow I forgot to put my Strat in my car and pulled out of the parking spot with my guitar leaning against it the car. It ended up falling over and getting run over a bit my the front tire. 😭

I uploaded some pics of the damage. It's just a MIM strat but man it's my favorite guitar, I've tons of mods to it, it means a lot to me.

What should I do? Its poly lacquer, I'm afraid it might chip more. Is there anything I can do to prevent it from getting worse or further damaging the guitar? I'm not really interested in getting it completely fixed and the lacquer color matched. I just want to make sure it doesn't get worse.

Might want to invest in a case for your guitar.
We had a pickup truck run over some gear during load out once. A couple of metal things got bent (including the guy's truck when we caught up to him), a guitar case was destroyed (the guitar was fine) and there were some miscellaneous scrapes and bruises on personnel. To date, we haven't done anything like that to our own gear, though we have dropped a large tube amp head off a tailgate (snow and ice were mostly to blame) and the weight of the transformers bent the crap out of the amp chassis. That kind of thing.

Your guitar can be restored. It's not gone forever.

Don't forget to put your strat in your car again.

Jimbo99

Senior Stratmaster
Jun 5, 2021
Palm Coast, FL
Strip & refinish for that much damage, it's almost at that point where you could just buy another finished body though & swap parts. Refinish and you can keep or resell it to defray the cost of a newer body if that's the direction you want to go with it. A new finished Strat body is $ 249.99. There's always the usual sources for a body only.