Strat weight

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by MikeinMaryland, Oct 10, 2020.

1. KoreGeneral

KoreGeneral Strat-Talker

i like heavier strats for a more heavy sound, but to get that hollowish light tone, lighter strats are nice.

2. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Most Honored Senior Member

there are indeed, some that have physical issues that would dictate a lighter guitar. It's only with the recent ascension of "light weight" to a preeminent position has the previously rarely mentioned physical ailments become so often listed as a rationale for the need for lightweight.

Interestingly though, talk to most of those guys long enough and sure 'nuff.. the melding of resonance + lightweight rise to the surface... Busted.... (this is why a suspect" gets "interviewed" by detectives for hours. Sooner or later, he will open his mouth and his brains spill out . . it's also why a salesman, specially of large ticket items, wants to chat ya up for a while before the "negotiations" begin. He is sorting through your brain)

While I don't mind anyone wanting a lighter guitar. I want it to be for a valid reason. resonance is NOT one.. repeat. . . resonance is NOT one.. If YOU buy a custom made guitar because your brain is waterlogged with the idea that such guarantees phenomenal tone, then irt arrives and sounds no better than your other nonlight weight guitars.. Bingo.. guess who’s the goat.. that would be me…unless I forewarned ya,, light weight guarantees only one thing.. it weighs less than the average of other similar guitars. THAT – IS – IT.

a lightweight guitar opens the door to a litany of sonic issues, few good. As I mentioned, perhaps in this thread, it was John Suhr that said in another forum that he's never heard a bad heavier guitar, and that he couldn't say the same for a lightweight one..

If light weight was a positive, it would have become the standard long ago. Light weight woods have been around for far longer than you guy's discussion of such. Remember, it's a guitar. It's been around in the present electric configuration for almost 100 years... You, Me, no one is going to discover any new revelation that makes more than a hill of beans worth of a significance.

Sure technology may come out with some new gizmo remember the Roland Midi gizmo? Where are they today. Technology will come up with something to screw or solder to it, but relative to a traditional wooden guitar, the neck and body and what they’re made of and how they’re attached is fixed in time, it’s not going to change. Nobodies gonna discover jack cack. If you wanna improve the sound of guitars, there is only one way, learn to play.

Bad News. . . You can expect to begin paying a significant premium when you mention "lightweight" in your list of specs.. it's just the way it is... because when we order lumber, we can specify Southern soft ash... that's getting expensive enough, What we cannot do is specify LIGHT southern soft ash, because in a 12 foot long plank, 114 inches wide, some of it may be light, some not so much. The lumber supplier is not gonna cut it into 20 inch blanks and weight it for us.. See, to make the determination ya have to cut them into blanks, then cut them into a body rough... anyone wanna pay for the time it takes to do that.

What you must have is confidence in a respected luthier. One that is NOT gonna send ya a 10 pound guitar without letting you know... some unknown weekender making guitars may, because those guys are working with no capital reserves and every sale is life or death, stay away from 'em. Besides they don’t have a multi thousand dollar stash of lumber to sort through anyway.

It's really irritating, to have a 7.75 pound body rejected, for a 7.4 pounder, when the few ounces difference would never be noticed in the first place, and it's all for nothing more than a "fashion statement".

If a builder orders 5000.00 bux worth of swamp Ash and has to dump half of it because it weighed a few ounces more than what the general consensus is for a "light" body, we have to figure out something to do with it. I dunno fireplace.. But, who do ya thinks gets to pay the 2500.00 .. And you guys are wondering why Fender and others are raising the price and discontinuing making guitars from Swamp Ash?? It's because of YOU guys, for them, there are just too many PITA to continue trying to serve those that are not..

fact is though, we'll give ya what ya want as long as ya don't tell the wife what it cost...

But all you guys that think a premier guitar MUST weight a specific weight need to beg borrow or steal a copy of Nacho’s book, The Blackguard. In it he lists the metrics on, I forget how many Teles, all made between 1950 and 1954..

The range of weights will educate you to what was important at the burgeoning of the guitars we all love…. What would ya pay for a 9 pound tele made in 1953?

r

3. GitGeek

GitGeek Livin' After Midnight Gold Supporting Member

Insightful post until you start chastising at the end. I don't believe anyone posting in this thread mentioned anything about a "must" weight. I believe the consensus of the thread is the exact opposite. I still gave you a thumbs up ;)

4. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

Ah, you're new, nobody actually reads to the end of Ron's books posts, but they're a great cure for insomnia... :D

5. Ronkirn

Yep. they're kinda like that fake text they use when doing a magazine layout where ya just need something there for the visual impact of what it will look like when the article is actually written and inserted.. :p

r

GeejeeZ and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  6. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Senior Stratmaster

Ilike mine at 7lbs . A little more is ok ,but 8 nags at my shoulder and is a distraction .

7. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Strat-O-Master

He should try my 12 pound Agile LP Jr DC copy. Dead and dull.

My Strat-oids, ranging from a '63 to modern day Squiers and SXs, are around 7 to 8 pounds, give or take a 1/4 or a pound. The only one lighter is the paulownia body one (left in avatar) that comes in at about 6 pounds.

8. znanjeiimanje

znanjeiimanje Strat-Talk Member

My I own 4 Strats and they are in the range of 7.5 - 8.0.
    My son has a Strat that is 7.7
    In comparison, my Les Paul Classic is 8.3.

My AO 50's Tele is 6.9.

9. Bowmap

Bowmap I nose a thang or two Platinum Supporting Member

There... in a nutshell. The truism that binds all.

Anacharsis likes this.
  10. tlp123

tlp123 Strat-Talk Member

There is some good info on there if you have the patience to manually filter out the background noise.

There are some great builders that post there too, and even they get a little aggravated with the high dollar karens and baby men.

11. tlp123

tlp123 Strat-Talk Member

Heed this guy......he knows what he's talking about.

Givem' hell Ron.

12. diogoguitar

diogoguitar Senior Stratmaster

I got into this weight thing after playing my Suhr modern that has 7.7lbs/3.4kg and was wondering why I like it so much. Weight was one of the factors, but maybe not the deciding one.

I think the only one that really stands out is the Suhr. All others are decently light for my taste. I mean, my LP has nearly 10lbs and I like it a lot - I just don't play it all night in gigs.

13. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Strat-O-Master Platinum Supporting Member

I'm gonna sound like I'm trying to come off all macho, but I'm really not. For me, the difference between 7 lbs and 9 lbs while standing for hours is barely even noticeable. I know some people really have conditions or injuries, but I am a little surprised at how much many people seem to feel 5 or 6 ounces.

GeejeeZ likes this.
  14. Ronkirn

if ya wanna know what the difference feels like.. go to any Sports store that serves fishermen, buy two 8 oz lead sinkers.. hang one on each strap button and play a while... big difference huh??

r

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  15. Torvald

Torvald Strat-O-Master

My latest partscaster with the heavy ass Goncalo Alves neck comes in at 8 lbs. 9. A good pound more than my other strat with the maple/ rosewood neck, but it plays and sounds so good, the extra pound just ain't no thang. Everything is the way I wanted it. A pound less would be nice, but it is what it is.

16. train

train Strat-Talker Silver Member

Dang , I was hoping to see some heavy ones. One cat from Brazil says he’s got. 12.3 lb. lol no proof pic tho.

17. StummerJoe

StummerJoe Senior Stratmaster

What else can you do? You have to keep going! I broke my back 3 years ago, and it was already bad before that. A 3lb difference is a big deal for me. But yeah, it seemed to become a fad in the early 2000's and hasn't gone away.

18. StummerJoe

I used to be a member on TGP. A gold supporting member. Got banned for I don't know what and can't get an answer or refund. Screw TGP.

Strat-Talk is far more enjoyable and the members have a closer orbit to Earth.

GeejeeZ likes this.
  19. =KARMA=

=KARMA= Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Thanks for the heads up as that’s one less place I won’t ever need to visit. :thumb:

GeejeeZ, johnnymg and StummerJoe like this.
  20. StummerJoe

There is a lot of great info there if you can wade through all the bs cork sniffing, but the moderators are extremely sensitive girly men.

You can always lurk, but I know I won't bother anymore.

GeejeeZ likes this.