Join Strat-Talk Today

Strat Wiring Help Needed

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by antvas1963, Jul 16, 2019.

1. antvas1963

antvas1963 Strat-Talk Member

I was re-wiring my strat and I was going to use the vaughn whacker strap mod. After wiring everything up according to the above diagram all I get out of it is a loud 60 cycle hum. And no output from any of the three pick ups . I have checked all the pots, the input jack, and the switch. Everything seems to be working as it should and I cannot figure out what the heck is wrong .
    I’m going on my third day of trying to troubleshoot this thing and I’m really getting frustrated, any help would be greatly appreciated thank you

Attached Files:

2. Skinny Nitro

Skinny Nitro Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Can you post a copy of the diagram you used?
    I guess looking at your images it's a combination of the Jimmie Vaughan Strat + split tone control + 50s wiring?

3. Stephen James

Stephen James Strat-Talk Member

Well, you are missing a wire connecting the last lug on the input side of the selector switch to the common on the output side of the switch (it connects diagonally).. That is why this isn't working.. (Your soldering looks nice otherwise.)

Added in purple on the switch (it connects purple output wire lug to input-side common lug):
    [​IMG]

EDIT (for posterity): This is traditionally what is done, with the purple wire connecting to the outer volume lug and the middle vol lug connecting to the jack, but not what was wanted or illustrated in the diagram posted later, below..

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
    s5tuart, strat_strummer and Bodean like this.
  4. Skinny Nitro

Skinny Nitro Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

With 50s wiring it is different.
    There is a missing wire but it goes from the end switch lug on the side the pickup hots are to the bare lug on the volume pot.
    It's the red wire on this diagram

Strat_50s_wiring.JPG

Stephen James likes this.
  5. Stephen James

Good to know, it would be useful to see what diagram he was referencing..

Bottom line is no sound from pickups unless input-side common is connected to something connected to a jack..

6. antvas1963

This is the diagram I used.

Attached Files:

7. Stephen James

Skinny Nitro is correct, you are just missing the green wire in your diagram (from switch input-side common lug to volume left outer lug)..

s5tuart likes this.
  8. Angel S Bunny

Angel S Bunny Strat-Talk Member

Never seen someone use a electolic capacitor

Did hear of one being used to the claw of the tremelo

Stephen James likes this.
  9. antvas1963

You would think the people who post these diagrams would have double checked the diagram first.

s5tuart likes this.
  10. antvas1963

I didn’t have any more ceramic caps, but I have a box of electrolytic caps. I hope it doesn’t give me any issues.

11. Stephen James

@antvas1963: I should have been more clear, the diagram you posted is correct. The wiring on your pickguard is missing the green wire that is shown in your diagram, that wire needs to be soldered to your strat's pickguard..

12. Stephen James

Aren't electrolytic caps polarized? They probably only work when connected one way..

13. Angel S Bunny

Well positive to pot and negative to ground

14. sgarnett

sgarnett Strat-O-Master

Electrolytic caps are not only polarized, but designed to operate with a positive bias voltage to maintain the dialectic layer.

The signal in an electric guitar generally doesn’t have a bias voltage (unless the amp input circuit is failing). It oscillates above and below (and centered on) ground.

An electrolytic cap used in a guitar is not going to explode, but the capacitance may drift, or it could even develop internal shorts.

There are bipolar electrolytic caps, but they are generally used in speaker/crossover applications. I doubt if the low signal amplitude in the guitar is enough to maintain stable capacitance for that either.

Stephen James and s5tuart like this.
  15. CB91710

CB91710 This is a Custom Title Gold Member Strat-Talk Supporter

16. Stephen James

@antvas1963 : PM me your address and I can send you a cap, just let me know what value you need..

17. Angel S Bunny

well you can, in some circuits share the CAP (and the pot really) one where the Tone is on the N&B only needs one Tone Pot and One Cap.

When it gets M&B/N then it gets a bit more complex, sharing the Cap between Two Pots will drop the Pot Value 125K (as 1/((1/250K)+(1/250K))) and if two caps i guess! that one Pot will Filter out and the Lower one will be just ignored!
    >Im not 100% sure<

18. antvas1963

Well I’m going to eliminate the electrolytic capacitor from the circuit. I added the wire that skinny nitro was talking about but I’m still not getting any output I’m gonna replace the capacitor and see if maybe that might be what the problem is.

19. antvas1963

I went ahead and replaced the capacitor. I still am not having any output other tha a hum. I rewired a couple of guitars in the past and I’ve never had a problem like this. This little electrical gremlin is really bugging me because ifs probably a simple fix that I just don’t see.

Attached Files:

20. Stephen James

So, the only thing we can't see is the jack, the brown wire is going to tip connection, correct? The black wire is going to shield, correct?

Other than that it has to be a problem with the signal path of the wiring, not the tone path (since you don't get signal in mid position). A hum leads me to believe the ground is not completing the circuit, maybe a cold solder somewhere?

Is there any hum volume change as you turn the pot down? If not that should indicate that the ground to jack (wire between volume ground and jack sleeve) is not connected properly..

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.