Strat with fender amp or Marshall no other options

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by brians, Aug 1, 2017.

1. tealsixtysix

tealsixtysix Senior Stratmaster

Eh. Others will read the thread over time, maybe.

Sarnodude likes this.
  2. Electgumbo

Electgumbo Not Of This Earth

@vid1900

I was in the local shop yesterday picking up a guitar that was getting worked on. A couple of the better pickers sort of all showed up as they are known to do. So we making small talk and passing my guitar around. Just shooting the poop... and one asked " What you playing thru these days?" One by one everybody answered until it was my turn and I said " 50 watt Plexi Reissue and a 4X12 TV cab". Everybody fell silent and they all looked hurt. Finally one said " Ok you win"... I just grinned and said " Yeah I know".

3. Gmountain

Gmountain Strat-Talk Member

I think it is wrong to assume that a person is not smart enough to have looked at all the options before narrowing a decision to two choices. If has already done that, then the best thing to do is answer the question asked.

4. Miotch

Miotch Senior Stratmaster

If you are talking in generalities (warm crunch compared to clean headroom), your choice.

Of course, to me, it depends on the particular amps and price before I could make up my mind. And that "price" part of the equation has always been huge in my life.

5. artgtr

artgtr Artgtr Silver Member

I have the 50 watt Marshall plexi - it really is king, it has tone & more raw power than is needed. I played an outside gig & used the Plexi - with a vintage 2-12" Marshall cab. I used a Frampton les paul & the plexi - had the guitar on "1" & the amp on "1" had to aim it at the fence behind us, everyone said all they could hear was the guitar IMG_0665.JPG
    It might have been overkill for that gig but, it's an awesome amp!
    I also have an Orange - it's also a killer amp

6. brians

brians Senior Stratmaster

Reason for the narrowing down in choices is really simple. In my country after sales service is poor to non existent at the best
    of times in the musical instrument category, hence the best choices are fender and marshall as they have a presence here, other brands are a shot in the dark , so it's about making the " smart decision" Unfortunately we don't have all the choices you may have, with the back up service. Yes other brands are here but they are not imported through strong channels and therefore parts can be impossible to obtain.

gibsonsmu and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  7. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

Our transatlantic cousins often forget that there is life outside the United States. It is our duty to keep reminding them. :)

brians likes this.
  8. gibsonsmu

gibsonsmu Senior Stratmaster

Were you using a distortion pedal? A 50 watt plexi won't go into overdrive on 1 even with a boost. So I think of that more as the sound of your distortion pedal through a somewhat sterile clean platform. I am making some assumptions here. A plexi 50 sounds like a plexi 50 cranked - at least that is the classic sound they are known for. Sorry to go off topic. This was my rig for a while but it's too clean at low bar volumes - or the dirt is only from a distortion pedal which is kind of against the point of a marshall.
    IMG_2589.JPG

Electgumbo likes this.
  9. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member

Depends on how it's been wired/re-wired over the last 50 years.

Do you still have the amp? You are only two wire moves away from having unsane gain while playing on 1 - no pedal needed.

10. kris ford

kris ford Strat-O-Master

Post Phase Inverter Master Volume..and I can play the 2 full stacks you see above IN AN APARTMENT, with no complaints!..tone is glorious..though I do love ***** slapping them with a Boss SD-1.

The Super Bass has a cascaded pre-amp mod (Blackmore/Rhoads)so sounds like a pissed off 2203 with a Super Bass tone stack.:)

ivan H and vid1900 like this.
  11. gibsonsmu

gibsonsmu Senior Stratmaster

I do - it's a ceriatone but I really only use it for bigger venue gigs now. Do you mean doing a cascading gain stage mod? I'm not as much of a fan of the heavy preamp gain sound

12. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member

I'd have to see how it's wired, because some clones are more cloney than others.

Usually a Master Volume is needed for nice drive, from there you can "tie the channels" or do the "one wire mod" if you want the option for all out destruction.

13. Blues Trucker

Blues Trucker Strat-O-Master

Then I would say the concert was a success.:D

artgtr likes this.
  14. ido1957

ido1957 Senior Stratmaster

Marshall JCM900 here and I can confirm it works well with my EC.
    I've had a couple of Marshalls in my life and have always liked "that" sound.

brians likes this.
  15. Tone Guru

Tone Guru Senior Stratmaster

If there's any master control, let alone a PPIMV, on the 1987x it's not indicated Marshall's website.
    Their specs list the only deviation from a vintage 1987 as being "a tonally transparent Series FX Loop".
    I may have missed something but I suspect the amp you are referring to has been modified for PPIMV.

It's also unclear whether a modified amp is acceptable to the OP.

16. ivan H

ivan H Strat-Talker

A PPIMV isn't stock on a 1987X but it is a dead easy, easily reversible mod to do (& it leaves no scar's.) If you cant do it yourself, any tech could do it at minimal cost (replace one speaker out jack with a dual ganged pot, so the master is on the rear panel). While they sound best if turned down only to around 7 on the dial, they will turn the amp effectively right down to bedroom level if you wish. Go to the Metro Amp forum & search Lamar PPIMV & you'll find all the instructions you need to do it. As the phase inverter is before the master you don't get thin tone problems when turning it down. Cheers

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  17. maqcatt

maqcatt Strat-O-Master

I found the above statement to be true. (in bold)
    I had a 100 watt Marshall with four 12s back in 1980 that used to belong to ZZ Top.
    We had a loud band and it was great for the harder rock stuff but not versatile enough for the other styles we played. I went back to a Twin with EVs and over drive pedal.

S Mac

18. brians

brians Senior Stratmaster

So much good info here thank you all, I pretty much think I'm convinced and want to go with the 1987x, I don't know yet if it has had any mods but I'm going to use it on the weekend. These days I only play with some friends at social gigs, nothing hectic and at home, I know it's overkill , but I always was envious of the guitarists that had Marshall stacks, and my Frontman always looked dwarfed, although it did hold it's own in some pretty loud bands at the time, hope this works out , will post next week

19. RangerJay

RangerJay Strat-Talk Member

You should give Orange a shot. My Strats sound magnificent through my Thunderverb 50. Actually, all my guitars do...

20. newplayeroldguy

newplayeroldguy in the wind

DSL40C here also, I love it- but opinions vary. I did not love the stock speaker, others like it fine.

40 watts is really overkill for home use, even 20 is. Myself, I like overkill, but certainly not everyone does